Windows Phone 7 Camps–26th and 27th of March

Good day everyone we will be running a Windows Phone 7 Training Camp on the 26th & 27th of March at the Microsoft Offices in Bryanston Johannesburg. Windows Phone 7 Camps is a two day event which will enable you to do Windows Phone 7 Development. This training course is geared for beginners who want to get started with developing applications for the latest Windows Phone operating system. Even if you don’t know Silverlight or XNA Framework, you’ll find this Training Course useful. More seasoned Silverlight developers should also find this course useful, as it explains some of the differences between Silverlight and Silverlight for the phone.

Where: Microsoft Bryanston
When: 26th, 27th March
Time: 9am – 4:30pm

Agenda:

26th March – Silverlight Development for Windows Phone 7
27th March – XNA Development for Windows Phone 7

All attendees will be required to bring their own laptops to the event and we will supply the tools required to develop.

Please Register at the following link as we have limited seats: Event Link here

– Dave

1. Mark Pearl says:

Hey – will this be more extensive than the windows phone event Rudi & Robert did recently, or will it bethe same course content – on the 26'th?

2. Heath says:

Hi,

I registered for the event, but now I can't make it. How do I go about deregistering?

Thanks,

Heath

3. Matt says:

When are the other manufacturers releasing Windows Phone 7 phones? At the moment, we've only got HTC Mozart (MTN) and Trophy (Vodacom). Hardly seems worth the time devving for such a tiny market. Rumour had it that Samsung was going to release Omnia 7 in the first quarter of 2011 and it's the 28th of March. What is MS doing to put pressure on networks and manufacturers?

4. Pieter says:

Hi guys

Thanks for the efforts to host something like this. Please explain to me though, how this is relevant given that as a SA resident I am unable to register on App Hub and therefore not able to even test my applications on a real device.

Also, I have not seen any momentum from MS to target the enterprise market so that we can publish applications to a private corporate market (like we could with WM 6).  Nothing also seems to have come from the ChevronWP7 'negotiation' with MS for homebrew support either.

Without these attractions I am keen to hear your views why your efforts to train people will be of any use to them.  (Please whisper in our collective ears that MS is close to allow SA residents to register on App Hub).

Regards

Pieter

5. Hi Pieter

I understand your frustration, at this point in time we do not have a local market place available which is required for AppHub support. We have however provided a mechanism for developers to create and deploy applications to the global market place via http://www.yallaapps.com. Yallaapps is a company who has partnered with us to provide market place services for countries who have not yet received market place or apphub support. So while we cannot register directly on the AppHub you as a South African developer can create applications and make them available on the global market place.

Thanks

Dave

6. Pieter says:

Hi Dave

Thanks for the response.

My views (and I hope reality) are not that rosy about Yallaaps.  Anyone interested enough in WP7 would have already registered at YallaApps (as have I), and would have unfortunately seen the terms of the agreement.

Initially it is made to look similar to AppHub because the registration also costs $99 (for 100 points).  Then as you close your eye to smile about it, they kick you in the groin with:

50 points (~$50) just to unlock a single phone (for free on AppHub)

25 points (~$25) for each application verification (you get 100 free ones on AppHub)

20% of your income (after MS already took 30%) and the application is not even listed under your name

So what you got for $99 as an AppHub member is going to cost you ~$2500 on YallaApps, not including all the lost income that they also took.

Frankly, I don't think Microsoft should tout YallaApps as a partner – it sounds to me more like extortion by a monopoly that is not only 'partnered' with Microsoft, but also created because of the lack of any other choices offered by MS.

Dave, I urge the SA MS guys to make enough noise to get AppHub support for us sorted out for us.  If it is going to take as long as it took to get XBox live in SA (which prevented XNA XBox development) I am going to give up now – even though I am a real Silverlight fanboy!

Regards

Pieter

7. Dave says:

Hey Pieter

Thanks for the feedback I am sending it to the appropriate people to have this investigated and will definitely keep you posted. Would you drop me a mail (drussell@microsoft.com) so i can keep you up to date with how things are going and i would like to talk to you more around your experiences with Windows Phone dev & the issues you have with YallaApps etc.

Thanks again,

Dave

8. Jacques Mostert says:

I have develoiped an XNA based game for the windows phone 7 platform and decided that I will give YallaApps.com a go to see what sort of response one can expect from the windows 7 market place. I have requested a device unlock 8 days ago. I still haven't heard from them. Just an email that says they will contact me earliest.

At this rate, I am pretty sure that a lot of developers will be put off by this.

Another thing that bothers me about this whole experience is also the fact that one cannot ad support games or applications from this country using the MS pubcenter functionality. So, south-african developers need to sell their applications to make any money. Now to put this into perspective, looking at the sales figures that were released by some developers, you will notice that there aren't many developers with sales that have reached more than 1000. Now at $1 an application, and with MS taking their 30% cut and then YallaApps taking their 20% cut, assuming that you have passed the certification process for you game on your first attempt(as you have to pay for subsequent attempts) you will have to make around 2000 sales of an app just to pay for one phone that you are testing on.

Is there any indication if SA developers will be able to monetize their creations using ads or will we have to investigate using things like AdMob from google(which currently only has silverlight support) or even iAds when we finally crack and move to the apple iOS environment?

Microsoft should really start taking the rest of the world into consideration.

I will bookmark this page and hope to see some feedback on some of the issues that were raised here.

Thanks,

Jacques Mostert

9. southafrica says:

Hi Jacques

Thanks for the feedback, I have raised the issue about the device unlock internally as well as with the Yalla Apps team. I will follow up with them to ensure this gets resolved. This is the first feedback we have received on the device unlock taking a large amount of time, and we have a high number of people who have successfully unlocked their devices locally via YallaApps.

Regards to the other feedback, I do have some exciting news that was announced at the MIX 11 conference in Las Vagas a week ago. We will be getting a market place locally around spring time. Based on all the feedback and a lot of heavy pushing from our local team we have been able to get South Africa on to the list of 30 Countries that will be getting Market Place towards the end of the year. I have just written a post on it: blogs.msdn.com/…/windows-phone-market-place-coming-to-south-africa.aspx.

Unfortunately at this point in time I do not have a view on the ad side of the offering but I have requested further information from the appropriate people.

So in short Microsoft cares a lot about the rest of the world, through the efforts around YallaApps, listening to people’s feedback and ultimately bringing market place to South Africa. It’s no trivial task to establish a Market Place in a region, there are a number of issues ranging from legislation, taxation, infrastructure, content and many more.

I hope this answers most of your questions I will follow up on the device unlock for you and keep an eye out on the blog for more information about Marketplace.

Thanks

Dave

10. Jacques Mostert says:

Hi Dave,

That for all this feedback. I am very excited to hear that SA is getting its own market place as well. I am assuming this implies that we will be able to register on App Hub and will not need to go through YallaApps in the future or am I mistaken?

YallaApps did sort me out soon after I posted the message on here. I am now happily deploying to my device. They said that there was some bug that caused phones to be locked out again and then people wasted their 50 credits. So it is all good.

Again, thanks for keeping us up to date.

Regards,