Visual Studio and Internationalization

Our developer customer base for Visual Studio is truly global.  A significant portion of the Visual Studio user base is international, and as a result, we spend a lot of time and energy making sure that Visual Studio yields a great experience, regardless of locale, and we continually strive to improve that experience.

One recent manifestation of this was in how we handled language releases for Visual Studio 2012.  In previous versions of Visual Studio, we would first ship the English version, and weeks later we would subsequently ship versions of Visual Studio localized into multiple languages.  For Visual Studio 2012, we changed our internal processes so that when we shipped, we shipped all of our 10 languages simultaneously: English, French, Italian, Spanish, German, Russian, Japanese, Korean, Simplified Chinese, and Traditional Chinese.  All 10 languages are available from the Visual Studio download site.

This commitment continued with the recently released Visual Studio 2012 Update 1 (Visual Studio 2012.1) for which we also simultaneously released all 10 languages.

Beyond these 10 languages, however, Visual Studio can also be extended via additional “community” language packs.  Throughout the Visual Studio 2012 product cycle, we maintained close partnerships with prestigious universities and with Microsoft Valued Professionals (MVPs) from around the world, with the goal of supporting additional languages in Visual Studio 2012.  The resulting community language packs, available for Czech, Polish, Turkish, and Brazilian Portuguese, provide a localized experience for the majority of the Visual Studio user interface, with hundreds of thousands of localized words. These community language packs are available for download for Visual Studio Professional, Premium, and Ultimate, as well as for multiple Express versions.

Of course, the need for localized content extends well beyond the Visual Studio user interface.  One of the largest sources of such content is the Visual Studio documentation on MSDN, available in all 14 previously mentioned languages.  This translated content comes from a variety of sources, including Visual Studio team members, machine translation, and the community.  You, too, can contribute, using the MSDN Translation Wiki, which enables you to suggest improved translations and be recognized for your contributions via the MSDN and TechNet recognition system.  For more info, see the Developer Content Localization Team’s blog.

Moving forward, we strive to improve further upon the global experience we provide with Visual Studio, and we look forward to any and all assistance you provide in that endeavor.

Follow me on Twitter at

1. Jean-Francois says:

I'd be really curious to know how many people pick Visual Studio in their mother language.

Indeed, even though VS is available in my mother language, I would never want to pick that.  Most samples and tutorials on MSDN and over the Internet are anyway in English. Development languages themselves are English based (string, dictionary, list, window, handle, …). In my view, English reading/writing is mandatory if you do any software development.

2. Gregory says:

I live in Poland and I use english IDE. The reason is pretty simple: localized VS = localized error messages. You cannot search for them easily in google/bing (as almost all techincal blogs/stackoverflow/etc.. are english). I would use localized VS only if option to disable localizetion for error messages was to be provided.

3. Whatever says:

If visual studio was written correctly, which it is isn't, the desired language of the UI should have hooks into a language file in a tier and this would extent in our application. Given Microsoft can't tie their shoes correctly any more which is obvious by the dismal sales of surface, windows 8 and not to mention their fall to a non factor on the internet. I am not surprised they screw this up as well. By the way Microsoft visual studio is primary used in India that is their development hub which probably explains why the software is so buggy and poorly implemented much like india's transit system.

4. RoundTree says:

@Whatever Our company halted Windows App development, not enough demand to justify the R and D costs. This is going to be an epic fail. Why do I want the Microsoft Logo on my phone, so it can serve as a reminder of all the headaches Microsoft caused me at work with their buggy software.

5. LOL says:

This is so awesome I had to share …

The only thing that would be better if a Visual Studio .Net DVD was in the drive.

6. Marcello says:

With so many features and additions I almost forgot how to program.

7. I also do not need that internationalization. This make searches so difficult.

8. Dave says:

@Marcello. Don't you mean bugs not features ? Unless you work for Msft then bugs are features, and you are so blinded by your crappy products you can't tell the difference anymore.

Everything in visual notepad is programming. There is not a single designer or rad tool that works ! If you name one designer you "think" that works and I will guarantee I will tell you 20 things wrong that renders it useless.

Perhaps you need to post on a hobbyist blog instead of dealing with programmers that actually have to use this poor excuse for a software development tool called visual studio to write applications.

Wait these are Microsoft programmers so maybe these are hobbyist and judging by the quality of their work (visual studio) this could be the case.  I am on the wrong blog hmmm.

9. FedUp says:

I am sick of the bugs in visual studio and errors.  You could cut development time in half if you would fix the freaking  software issues instead of lying to yourself and every noob out there about how good VS is.  Use this bloatware for 8 hours a day instead of freaking blogging then tell us how good it is!  When was the last time you wrote a line of code ! When you are going to get your head on straight and fix this junkware ?!?!?!?!?

10. Marcello says:

@Soma: The documentation in Visual Studio has always been outstanding and something that should make Msft very proud. @Dave:  I am not a Msft employee. The IDE and tools you use will not make you a better programmer. I  still use Visual C++ 6.0 (after all these years).

11. Chris says:

When will MS support non-US English (British, Australian etc.)?

12. Ron says:

@Marcello agreed it won't make you a better programmer but it should make you more productive at a minimum not slow you down, Visual Studio hampers productivity with unfinished features, bugs and poorly implemented classes. I personally find the MSFT book online are too wordy and not enough concise real world information. Soma / Microsoft should be ashamed not proud!

13. @ Chris – we don’t currently have any plans to support non-US English. Eman Shaheen – Localization project manager at Microsoft.

14. @Jean-Francois – A large portion of developers prefer working with an environment in their native language, the percentage varies per countries. We have created the language packs as a result of our world-wide developers wanting to work with multiple language environments. Eman Shaheen – Localization project manager at Microsoft.

15. Marcello says:

@Dave. I am using the pre-"wordy" era of MSFT online books which reads as "October 2001 MSDN Library". It includes all the documentation needed for C++ development (C runtime functions and MFC classes) and also the Visual Source Safe 6.0d documentation: samples, code. Very clear and concise.

16. Dave says:

@Marcello Everything Microsoft has done since XP and Visual Studio 6.0 has been utter trash and their condescending arrogant attitude towards developers and users is sickening (including SOMA and the VS Team.)

I enjoy using my droid, chrome and mac. After work if I ever get the urge to feel the Microsoft experience I will go outside and slam my hand in the car door.

17. With due respect, I want to ask for a problem. I want to develop for windows 8 but a hurdle comes in my way and I am unable to solve it. Previously I had release preview of windows 8 and I upgraded it to windows pro 8. It works really fine but when I try to install visual studio, the setup screen splashes and disappears. The iso file is monted but unable to install it. Have tried run that as a administrator and much more. I hope some one help me and I might work on windows 8 application development.

Thank you!

18. Marcello says:

@Dave. I would like that to change as it is bad for the "ecosystem":  developers should be tratead as 1st class citizens.

19. David Guyer [MSFT] says:

Hello @Saad

The few times we have heard about the problem you describe have been when there was an issue with the .NET Framework.  I would first recommend trying to go to your PC Settings  (Settings in the Charm Bar, and Change PC Settings at the bottom) or search for Change PC Settings in the start menu.  Try the "Refresh your PC without affecting your files".

If that doesn't work, we'll need to dig a bit deeper, and you can contact my team at vscss AT Microsoft dot com

20. Luca says:

Unfortunately, this article was remarkably useless.

It tells me nothing I wouldn't have known by looking at the download page, other than plugging MS's way of saving money by crowdsourcing translations.