Announcing availability of Visual Studio 2010 and .NET Framework 4

Visual Studio 2010

I am very excited to announce the availability of Visual Studio 2010 and .NET Framework 4 on April 12th

This represents the biggest tools release from Microsoft in many years.

To celebrate this with our customers and partners, we are holding 5 major launch events on April 12th in Beijing, China; Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia; Bangalore, India; London, UK; Las Vegas, USA; and in over 150 local events around the world.

The new release of Visual Studio 2010 has plenty of compelling new features and updates that will make every developer more productive.

·         Visual Studio 2010 allows users target of the right platform for their application, including Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, SQL Server 2008, SharePoint. Office, Windows Azure, and Windows Phone 7 applications using their existing skills.

·         Visual Studio 2010 is a rich, personalized development environment.  We know that software developers spend much of their time in the IDE, and features like the new editor and multi-monitor support make your time in Visual Studio more productive and enjoyable.

·         Teams are able to work more efficiently using Application Lifecycle Management tools.  We’ve done a great deal of work in Visual Studio 2010 to improve testing and debugging tools.  Features like IntelliTrace and easy project management help your team ensure high quality.

I always say that our partners play a key role in the success of our platforms and tools.  With Visual Studio, it is no different.  Between the tools that we deliver in Visual Studio and what our partners build on top of Visual Studio, we have a very comprehensive tools offering for our customers.  I do want to take this opportunity to thank the approximately 50 partners who announced availability of products and solutions built on this latest wave of technologies. I am also very appreciative and thankful of the customers, MVPs, and others who provided us valuable feedback and made Visual Studio 2010 and .NET Framework 4 such an amazing release.

I am also thrilled to say that Silverlight 4 will be released to the Web later this week. When Silverlight 4 is released, you will be able to download an update for Visual Studio 2010 to support Silverlight 4 development.

I hope you will join us at one of our events, or watch the keynote live.

I look forward to your participation as we strive to reach a million developers on April 12 through our world-wide launch events. To purchase Visual Studio 2010 now, visit here.  If you are an MSDN subscriber, later in the day on April 12th you can download Visual Studio 2010 from MSDN.

Namaste!

1. kaliyan.s says:

Its great news for India Developers, i hope this new products will come with lots more new productivity features.

2. S.Somasegar says:

Thanks Kaliyan.  It was great to be here at TechEd and to launch VS 2010 and .NET 4.

-somasegar

3. Joey says:

When will it be available on Dreamspark?

4. Ruchi says:

What will be the size of the Visual Studio 2010 Professional ISO that would be offered on DreamSpark?

5. Karthik says:

Will it be wise to buy Visual Studio 2010 RTM now or better test it for 2-3 months?

6. Pratik says:

If we are running VS 2008 Professional Edition, can we upgrade to VS 2010 Professional using the upgrade for Visual Studio Standard users?

7. Brian says:

When will the DVD be mailed to subscribers?

8. Mahesh says:

When will be Express Edition (non beta2) for VS2010 available?

Thanks,

Mahesh.

9. James says:

Just want to confirm before purchasing, but is this the VS2005/2008 Standard –> VS2010 Professional upgrade that you mentioned a little while back?

I would recommend a review of the actual page. The URL is clearer than the actual page description.

How is it different than the "Professional Upgrade" "For Visual Studio 2005 and 2008 Standard Users"?

This seems to be what I want, but the price is most certainly not correct.

The sooner that I get confirmation, the sooner that you will make a sale. Regards.

10. John says:

http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/ redirects to http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-gb/default.mspx which gives a page not found.  (Changing "gb" to "us" makes it work).

http://www.microsoft.com/net doesn’t have a mention of .net framework v4 (download link still goes to 3.5)

Have you maybe announced this a bit early?

11. Me says:

MSDN will be updated with #vs2010 downloads and details at 10am PST *today*!    http://twitter.com/shanselman/status/12034864872

12. Tony says:

no downloads on dreamspark, websitespark etc…

perhaps this article is a day or two too early…

13. S.Somasegar says:

Hi,

The product is available for download now (as of 10am PST)both for MSDN subscribers on MSDN and via programs like DreamSpark.

-somasegar

14. Udef says:

Maybe someone should tell MS UK – Theres no link to the Standard -> Professional 2010 Upgrade, and the other Pro 2010 pre-orders say they are available from 12th May

15. S.Somasegar says:

Hi Brian,

The DVDs will be mailed as part of the next quarterly shipping cycle which will be in June.

-somasegar

16. S.Somasegar says:

Hi Mahesh,

The RTM version of VS 2010 Express products can be downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/express/Downloads/.

-somasegar

17. mglass says:

Why is the .NET Framework 4 not supported on a server core?

18. Rabi Satter says:

Mglass, now that .NET 4 has shipped, we are considering .NET 4 on Server Core. We actually just finished shipping .NET 3.5 SP1 on ServerCore, as part of R2. We are now looking at vNext for .NET 4 on Server Core. I am glad to see your interest in .NET on ServerCore.

Rabi Satter

.NET Project Management Office

Microsoft Corporation

19. Sean M says:

Where’s the promised VS 2008 Standard -> VS 2010 Professional upgrade that you blogged about many moons ago Somasegar

20. Frederic says:

When will it be available for Volume Licensing customers on the VLSC?

21. Sachin says:

The Visual Studio 2010 Professional is an .IMG image and not an .ISO image as said in the description(The VS2010 from MSDN Evaluation Center is an .ISO however)!

Morever, there is no product key or get product key kind of stuff!

So, it is the authentic VS2010 or something else?

22. Sachin says:

The .IMG image is on DreamSpark (Sorry, i missed referring to DreamSpark in my previous post!)

23. someone says:

Where is the Visual C++ 2010 x64 redistributable? I can only see the x86 redist (www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=a7b7a05e-6de6-4d3a-a423-37bf0912db84)

24. Viva says:

By the way, VS2010 is awesome… Its very very fast!

25. Michael says:

I congratulate and thank the the MS Development Team for releasing an absolute beauty of a product! Awesome… ★★★★★

26. mglass says:

Rabi,

Thank you for your response. I will be looking forward to .NET 4 being released for server core. Hopefully support for server core will be available soon.

27. Darrin Dyson says:

When are we going to see a 64-bit version of Premium on MSDN?

28. Keith Patrick says:

I just d/l’ed Ultimate from the MSDN web installation, and the splash page is telling me it’s for evaluation use only. Is this thing at some point going to self-activate given that it’s an MSDN download and not Dreamspark or some trial download?

29. Alex says:

When will the framework be on windows update for the end users? Also, is there any chance Microsoft would release framework adoption rate numbers? This would really help being able to make a business case for updating our apps to a new framework?

30. Ruslan says:

Congrats to Microsoft on new .Net ver. and IDE.

I still see no distinct Application Server concept in the whole .Net architecture…

The App server is smeared all over OS components(Windows).

For example, how would I design a distinct server side application? is there a notion of starting/suspending/resuming/stopping application server to serve client requests.

Is there a notion/standard of container (similar to J2EE containers in Java)?

What are the plans of introducing Application Server paradigm in .Net?

Thank you in advance for your answer!

regards,

Ruslan

31. Ruslan says:

BTW, .Net 4.0 release date April 12th, coincided with the date we sent first man in space! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuri_Gagarin

Nice date, well selected!

32. emma says:

Nice, the new profiler feature in VS2010 is really cool.

33. WPFdotNet says:

Hi,

I attended your opening session on 14th April. It was great to see you out there in the VS 2010 launch. I am very much impressed about some of new features that you have demonstrated like

a. Creating Sequence diagrams(I love that!)

b. Reducing sharepoint deployment from 17 steps

c. Recording a bug and playback with Stack Trace.

d. Windows mobile 7 development quick demo.

I really liked your Windows 7 Mobile that Stephine demonstrated.

Overall, the event was really good.

34. Alex,

We are targeting 6/22 to release .NET 4 on WU. The basic plan is .NET 4 will be released on Windows Update (WU). In addition, it will show up in Windows Server Update Service (WSUS). Specifically .NET Framework 4 Client Profile will be released as a recommended update on Vista and Windows 7. A recommended update will be automatically installed depending on the Automatic Update settings of the target machine. Client Profile will also be released as an optional update for XP. With XP a user will have to manually run WU and select the .NET Framework 4 Client Profile. Windows 2003, Windows 2008 and Windows 2008 R2 will see .NET Framework 4 as an optional update.

IT administrators using WSUS will see a slightly different story. .NET Framework 4 will be optional on all the above OSs, while .NET Framework 4 Client Profile will be optional on XP and recommended on Vista and Windows 7.

In regards to adoption numbers we do not publish numbers. However, we do believe that 70-75% of machines have some version of .NET. With .NET 3.5 SP1 being an important update on WU a lot of that should in fact be .NET 3.5 SP1 today.

35. Keith Patrick says:

I’ve been on the phone with MS for the last hour trying to sort out why the MSDN download (and I verified my subscription does allow for VS Ultimate) is acting like a trial version with no luck. The best I get out of them (MSDN support) was a recommendation to uninstall everything and download a different version.

Loved the RC and the RTM, with the exception of it indicating it’s not paid for, but about MSDN…I just can’t recall them ever having a smooth rollout of a major product.

36. S.Somasegar says:

Hi Frederic,

It should be available on the VLSC for Volume Licensing customers on 4/14.

-somasegar

37. phuff says:

Darrin Dyson-

x64 is a supported architecture for VS2010, but there is no 64 bit version of VS2010.  You should be able to use the 32 bit version instead.

Polita Paulus

Microsoft

38. S.Somasegar says:

Hi,

Several people have asked about the Standard->Pro upgrade offer, particularly in different parts of the world.

Thanks.

-somasegar

39. Gary says:

Will someone from MS confirm Professional users can also participate in the Standard->Pro offer?  We really do want to give you our money, but sometimes you guys make it difficult.

40. Gary says:

Also, does the download version of Visual Studio 2010 contain activation or any other DRM?  What about the retail version?

41. Keith Patrick says:

Gary, you’ll need to enter a key to activate the full versions or to upgrade from trial to full (fyi, activation keys are on MSDN this morning!)

BTW: LOOOOOVE the RTM. The betas had painful, painful lag, and the release candidate, while snappy per se, caused major lags in explorer (but still great to use).

The RTM runs like a dream and has some very nice new features, and that even goes for my Dell Mini 9 netbook.

42. Ben says:

Somasegar,

I live in Japan and am trying to order the Standard -> Pro upgrade. For several reasons I would prefer to have the English version and am not interested in localized version. I have been going back and forth with Microsoft Store on the issue. I realize that they cannot send outside the US, which is fine as I have family in the US who can ship it to me. However, they also do not accept credit cards with a non-US address. I think that this restriction is unacceptable. I’m even willing to pay in US cash if possible.

I would think that they could manually process my order, but no success yet. I really want to purchase this, but the road-blocks are just really high.

Are there any other options?

43. smilekiki says:

i have installed the vs2010 ultimate,but some guys said the framework version is just 4.0, it doesn’t install 2.0 or 3.5, but i downloaded the framework 2.0 sp2 stardard alone edition and installed it, vs2010 still can not recognize framework2.0, help me! please feed back to my email 13662611@qq.com, thanks!

44. Udef says:

Is it possible to upgrade using the trial and then activate it later once the standard -> pro offer is available in the UK?

45. ewart says:

I’m finding the XAML editor in the production version is slow again.  BETA 2 Slow.  Yesterday morning on the release candidate editing a 3000 line xaml was no problem but I’ve installed the production version and it pauses every time I make a change to a textbox, **QUITE ANNOYING**  Still happens even if I am full screen on the xaml editor, obviously it is recalculating the designer display.  I’m running on a overclocked quad core 8gb of ram so for sure this is the software not my machine.  ewart at ihug dot co dot nz

46. Hi @ewart

I will be in touch directly with you to better understand what is causing this issue. We have generally observed improvements or parity in performance of the WPF and Silverlight designer between the Release Candidate and RTM, so I would like to get to the bottom of your particular case. If other readers are seeing similar issues, please contact me directly at mwthomas at microsoft dot com.

Thanks

Mark Wilson-Thomas

WPF & Silverlight Designer in Visual Studio

47. ewart says:

wow thats a prompt response!  thanks for your email.  the problem seems to have gone away on it’s own accord and VS2010 is flying along nicely, maybe the solution if anyone else has that issue is to run "ngen executequeueditems" on new installations.

48. Marcel says:

I downloaded and installed the Professional Version of Visual Studio 2010 and did some basic tests and already found a problem:

The Object Browser or the Class Viewer doesn’t displays inherited members ( functions or variables) in C++ projects ( I haven’t tested in managed projects)

The "Show inherited members" is enabled.

Please fix this because I am interested but I have many classes derived from others and I need the members inherited information (functions and variables).

For new users, I recommend to wait  before downloading until the bug is fixed.

49. gauravkale@vista.aero says:

Will VS 2008 see SP2? There are dozens and dozens of hotfixes post SP1.

50. Shawn Nandi / Microsoft says:

In response to Ben’s question above:

Hello Ben, the best option would probably be to start using the english Visual Studio Pro trial edition today. It’s a 30 day trial which is extendable to a full 90 days when you register online. Once the Visual Studio Standard to Pro Upgrade becomes available at retailers in Japan (which is expected in the June timeframe) you can purchase either the Japanese or English version, and use the key from that version to unlock your trial version.

Thanks

Shawn

51. Sumit says:

I have installed the Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate Trial and when i register the product to get the trial extension key, i’m taken to the Microsoft Store USA website… And from there i’m made to click on Get Extension Key, then sign-in to the Profile Center… At the end, i land on the Visual Studio 2010 page(http://microsoft.com/visualstudio) and there’s NOT EVEN A TRACE OF KEY! I’m from India, is it because of that? Plz help me….

52. aaronru says:

@Viva

>>>>>> I installed Visual Studio 2010 Express and in the About Box it shows 29 days remaining… If Visual Studio 2010 Express is free, then why an evaluation time limit?

>>>>>> By the way, VS2010 is awesome… Its very very fast!

>>>>>> However, I think there is a problem with the Visual Studio 2010 Professional download on the DreamSpark website… In the description column it says its an ISO(.iso) image, but on downloading it turns out to be an IMG(.img) image! And there is no key generator too(unlike VS2008)! Is the product key integrated in the image? Plz tell us…

Just like in Visual Studio 2008, the Express SKUs require registration if you want to use after 30 days.  This is a simple and free process that only takes a minute or two.  Once registered you may use Express indefinitely.

53. Davide says:

How great would be if we could have an idea of the approx dates of release of the localized versions of VS2010. I’m waiting for the Italian version. Any hint?

54. Shawn Nandi / Microsoft says:

As Soma noted above:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Several people have asked about the Standard to Pro upgrade offer, particularly in different parts of the world. The good news is that this offer will be available to all of our Standard customers around the world – either through the Microsoft Store (where available) or through local Microsoft retailers. If a customer does not see the product on the Microsoft Store in their region it will be available there within a few weeks (some geographies are waiting for their localized versions to be available, etc.) If there is no Microsoft Store in their region they should contact a local Microsoft retailer for availability information.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

If the Standard to Pro upgrade product is currently avaiable from a Microsoft Store in your region, the following link will take you there (note that this link redirects to a Microsoft Store in a specific region based on your browser language settings):

Thanks

Shawn

55. Derrick says:

I am really disappointed.

Why do you make it so incredibly difficult to buy your products? Microsoft Store will not ship outside the US, take credit cards with a non-US address, or even US cash. Other options such as Amazon do not sell the Standard to Pro upgrade. I do not want a "localized" version, nor want to pay double the price for it.

This was the same problem when VS2008 and VS2005 came out. You made me take an airplane to the US just to buy your product. Why!? Do you want to sell products and make a profit? I really don’t get it…

By the way, excellent product. Been using the RCs for a while now.

56. Aanchal says:

The Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate trail is not giving me product extension key upon registering! After i’m made to sign-in to the Profile Center, it just lands me on the Visual Studio 2010 Official Page! Anybody please help; I’m from India and on registering i’m taken to the Microsoft USA Store Website!

57. Mikhail says:

Unavailability of .NET framework 4 on Server Core is a big blow for our .NET team in our company. We have farms of hardened virtual Windows 2008 R2 Server Core servers running ASP.NET MVC web application and services. Availability of ASP.NET on Server Core was a huge support in our survival under pressure from UnixJava camp and infosec. Server Core is a corner stone and crown jewel of our new ASP.NET production infrastructure.  We planned to switch to .NET 4 and VS2010 ASAP, spend time migrating apps to .NET 4 RC and now it has to be indefinitely postponed. I hope SC support comes soon, before our opponents and CIO find out…

58. MarkL says:

Is the Standard-to-Pro upgrade going to be available on disk at the same time as the other versions, or will it be strictly download-only?

59. Sumit Kumar [Microsoft] says:

In response to Marcel’s question above:

Thank you for reporting this problem to us. We have confirmed that Object Browser and Class View do not show the inherited members in C++ projects as expected. We apologize for the inconvenience and will try to fix this issue in a future public release or update of Visual Studio. In the meantime, we would like to help you adopt the product. Please contact me at ‘sumit dot kumar at microsoft dot com’ so that we can understand your situation better and see if the problem can be mitigated in some way.

Sumit Kumar

Visual C++ team.

60. Shawn Nandi / Microsoft says:

In response to MarkL’s question:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

The Standard to Pro upgrade will be available on disk (aka Full Packaged Product) at the same time as the other versions.

Thanks

Shawn

61. Shawn Nandi / Microsoft says:

In response to Derrick’s comment above:

Derrick, I’m sorry to hear that you’re having such a frustrating experience. In general, our retail partners like Amazon take a few weeks from the product release date to stock the products and start selling them.

Please email me at snandi at micorsoft.com. I would like to understand the challenges that you’re running into in your region in more detail, and see if there is anything we can do to improve the experience.

Thanks

Shawn

62. Dave says:

If my team purchases Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate, then do we need to purchase Visual Studio 2010 Test Professional? Plz answer this quick… We really are looking forward to VS2010!

63. Abhijit says:

SOS – CRITICAL – NEED HELP

Where is the option to add "Web Service Reference" in C++ projects in VS2010

I created a new C++ CLR Class Library project.

There is no option to add "Service Reference"

64. Shawn Nandi / Microsoft says:

In response to Dave’s question above

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

The functionality of Visual Studio Test Professional 2010 is included in Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate.

Please note that our developer tools are licensed on per-user basis, so anyone with a license of Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate will be licensed to use the functionality of Visual Studio Test Professional 2010.

You can also purchase an individual license of Visual Studio Test Professional 2010 for anyone who just needs to use that product.

Thanks

Shawn

65. Christian Buchner says:

My only beef is with the pricing.

You charge $299 in the United States for the Standard to Professional Upgrade.

You know, the Euro is not even close to parity with the Dollar, it is actually worth 34% more. At least have the decency to charge EUR 299.

(yes I know sales tax is included in Germany, whereas it is paid on top of the sales price in the US)

66. Anonymuos says:

Mounted the trial ISO on one of my computers and installed on all others over the network. Installed in 30 mins and worked perfectly although I had to start Setup.exe from the Setup folder. RTM runs very fast!!! I guess this is the last version that would be released for XP? Is there a way to prevent installing the bloated bootstrappers to save disk space?

67. anonymuos says:

Can someone please tell us who get this on DreamSpark what we are supposed to do with the downloaded file? And why is it .img?

68. aaronru says:

@anonymuous

>>>>>

>>>>>

I am glad that you were able to install Visual Studio 2010 without any issues.  I am curious what you mean as "bloated bootstrappers".  Can you please contact me aaronru(a)microsoft_dot_com and let’s chat. 🙂

If you install with a Web Download, then only ~5MB is downloaded to your box initially.  Then after you click Install and see the progress dialog, then only those packages required to install the configuration you chose, and only those applicable to the OS, Architecture are downloaded and installed.

69. José Carlos says:

Today our Web Farm projects are running with Framework 3.5 on Windows Server 2008 R2 Core HyperV guests.

After a lot of meetings, I finally succeed convincing our development team to migrate our Web Farm projects from Framework 3.5 to the Framework 4.0 due to its valuables improvements. I also presented to the team, the AppFabric solution to better serving of the Session State in high availability.

We was working a lot with Beta and CTP versions of the Framework 4 to test each of hundreds of pages to guarantee that everything will run correctly in the this new Framework.

But suprisingly, when the RTM version was launched, we discovered that it does not support the Windows Server Core Version.

What should we do? Will be launched a compatible version with the Server Core version or will we loose all all our work and time?

70. Tarek Madkour [MS] says:

@Abhijit wrote:

> Where is the option to add "Web Service

> Reference" in C++ projects in VS2010

C++ has not supported adding web service references since VS2008. For native code, the new Windows web service APIs and tools are the best way to go (see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd430644(v=VS.85).aspx). For managed code written in C++, you will need to use WCF’s svcutil.exe. There is no IDE support for either, unfortunately. It should be fairly straight forward, however, to add a custom build rule for running the respective tool in your project and using the result .h/.cpp in your code.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Tarek Madkour – Visual C++

71. phuff says:

anonymuos:

An IMG file is similar to an ISO. If you right-click on it using Vista or Win7 then you will be given the option to burn a DVD and then you can install from that.

Polita Paulus

Microsoft

72. phuff says:

José Carlos-

I understand your frustration about Server Core support for .NET 4.  Because Windows Server 2008 R2 shipped before .NET 4 shipped, Server Core couldn’t support .NET 4.  We are working on getting .NET 4 into Server Core at the next opportunity.

Polita Paulus

Microsoft

73. Mark M says:

I would love an explanation of this Australian pricing. If I had bought the cheaper Standard version of Visual Studio 2008 I can upgrade to Pro for $AU508 but as someone who paid for the more expensive Professional version I would have to pay and extra $AU437($AU945) to upgrade from from VS2008 Pro to VS2010 Pro. This pricing defies any reasonable logic.

74. dhinks says:

When will VS2010 be available for download on the VLSC website?

75. Hi Mark:

The upgrade for Standard customers to Visual Studio 2010 is less expensive because it does not include the additional operating systems, client software, and database server for development and test use. Thanks,

Matt

76. Mark M says:

@Matt Carter well why cant I buy an upgrade to VS 2010 Pro without the additional operating systems, client software, and database server ? As I already have access to all this and don’t require it.

77. Shawn Nandi / Microsoft says:

Regarding dhinks’ question

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

When will VS2010 be available for download on the VLSC website?

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Visual Studio 2010 was released on the VLSC site on April 14 2010. If you’re having issues accessing it please contact VLSC help here: https://www.microsoft.com/licensing/servicecenter/Help/Contact.aspx

Thanks

Shawn

78. dhinks says:

I have emailed the VLSC help center and they directed me to download VS2010 from MSDN.

All of our other Visual Studio editions (2005, 2008) are available from the VLSC, except 2010.

I want to use a copy of VS2010 that is covered under our Volume License agreement, not an MSDN copy.  How can we download the correct .ISO file?

79. dhinks says:

Also, does anyone have any information about creating an administrative installation point with VS2010?

It could be the MSDN copy I have, but running "setup.exe /a" (or "msiexec.exe /a vs_setup.msi") doesn’t do anything.  The progress bar churns then setup quits.  It does not ask for a place to store the files.

80. aaronru says:

@dhinks,

Thanks for using Visual Studio 2010.  We have published our supported administrator options at: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee225238(v=VS.100).aspx

Feel free to contact me to discuss specific concerns and we can discuss options. aaronru(@)microsoft_dot_com.

81. JSK says:

What are the changes to MediaElement for this release,

as everywhere i search what i get is only improvements to mediaelement ?

Thanks

82. Rob Relyea says:

@JSK-

Sorry, <MediaElement /> support in WPF didn’t see any improvements in .NET Framework 4.0.

(We think you mean WPF, but please tell us if you meant Silverlight…)

Thanks, Rob Relyea

WPF Team

83. JSK says:

Thanks Rob,

For clarifying that…, i was talking about WPF.

So what do you suggest for the problems like leaking handles and other misc. issues i have been facing during a developement of a minimalistic media player, which just plays media from a playlist 24/7, sometimes 2/3 media files simultaneously. I can see the media player sometimes failing in just under a couple of hours.

JSK

84. Rob Relyea says:

JSK-

Please work with me (rrelyea (at) microsoft.com) to discuss the details of your problem.

Thanks, Rob Relyea

WPF Team

85. Rob Relyea says:

JSK-

I’ve not heard from you, but we’ve gotten some more data here.  There are some known leaks with WPF’s MediaElement, so you should avoid using many short-lived instances. Instead, try to create a minimal number of MediaElements and swap different media into them. Feel free to follow up with an email.

Thanks, Rob Relyea, WPF Team

86. JSK says:

I mailed you.. i guess mail might be going to your junk folder or something like that… mailing from

jskohli (at) live (dot) com

87. Rob Relyea says:

JSK-

Yep…sorry, replied to your mail today. Thanks for the repro code…will talk to you via email.

Thanks, Rob

88. rob123 says:

Pretty cool product! The only thing I am disgusted about is the Help Viewer!  Bad design. Period.

89. olive-oil-effect.com says:

yeah, .NET Framework 4 is very great

90. scottri says:

I installed the .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (support.microsoft.com/…/en-us) on a Windows 7 x64 system and when I run RegAsm.exe from the command line, it crashes, see below problem signature.

This will prevent our application in the field from properly registering some assemblies because it uses the latest RegAsm that is installed on a system.

Are you aware of this and will this be fixed?

Sincerely,

Additional Information 1: b49e

Additional Information 2: b49ed977f19912ab2b80468dbe9bbedf

Additional Information 3: b3b3

Additional Information 4: b3b3194fdfed4c56147e990bb33f2669

91. JesseKaplan MSFT says:

ScottRi,

We haven't seen this issue reported before: can you help us track it down? Was there any more information about the crash? Did it print something to the command window in addition to the event log? Have you seen this problem on other machines (Win7 x64 or otherwise)?

Aside from this problem, we generally recommend against running RegAsm at application install time. These installers can be fragile and have problems finding the exe in certain install configurations. We recommend using the /regfile switch to regasm on a build machine and then deploy the result rather than running the exe at install time.  If this works for you it can help you avoid issues like this. We also recommend that you avoid trying to find/execute the latest CLR/tools on the machine as those techniques can be fragile as well and potentially expose you to compatibility issues unnecessarily; for more information see this MSDN magazine article: msdn.microsoft.com/…/ee819091.aspx.

Thanks,

Jesse Kaplan

92. phuff says:

José Carlos-

Server Core will be available in .NET 4 later this month.  You can learn more about the announcement here: blogs.technet.com/…/net-framework-4-availability-on-server-core.aspx

Polita Paulus

Microsoft

93. Marcello says:

Polita, I think you are a bit outdated:

Server core was publised in MSDN downloads on february

Microsoft .NET Framework 4 for Server Core (x64) – (English)

He had to wait nearly 1 year though…

94. thasay says:

Can you please make the update process less cumbersome?