New Offers for Visual Studio 2010

Last October, we announced a new packaging lineup and licensing options for Visual Studio 2010 to provide customers with simplified ways to purchase and license Visual Studio.  The new lineup includes three main versions of Visual Studio with appropriate MSDN subscriptions to go with Ultimate, Premium and Professional.

Many of you have asked what this meant for Standard Edition customers looking to upgrade.

Today, I’m announcing our Standard Offer promotion to ensure current Standard Edition customers can easily and affordably move up to Visual Studio 2010.  The Standard Offer enables customers who purchased Visual Studio 2005 or 2008 Standard Edition to upgrade to Visual Studio 2010 at the previous Visual Studio 2008 Standard Edition $299 retail price. Standard customers can take advantage of this offer April 12-October 12, 2010.

Visual Studio 2010 provides significant new benefits, such as the ability to optimize your development environment with multi-monitor support, and the ability to target multiple versions of the .NET Framework with one tool. For Standard customers this functionality represents a substantial step up in tooling.

Today, we’re also unveiling an offer for customers who purchase Visual Studio Professional at retail. To help these developers fully realize the power and benefits of a MSDN subscription, I am announcing MSDN Essentials, a one-year trial MSDN subscription that will be included with every retail copy of Visual Studio Professional sold.

MSDN Essentials subscribers will have access to three of the latest Microsoft platforms: Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise, and SQL Server 2008 Datacenter R2 for development and test use, as well as 20 hours of Windows Azure.  Subscribers will also have access to MSDN’s Online Concierge, Priority Support in MSDN Forums, and will be included in special offers from partners.

For the first time ever, we are giving developers the opportunity to pre-order Visual Studio 2010. The Microsoft Store and select online resellers will pre-sell Visual Studio 2010 Professional with MSDN Essentials from March 9th until the product launch.

Namaste!

1. betty says:

Will Ultimate cover Lab & Test Management?

2. Sam says:

Will VS.NET 2010 support Silverlight 3 and 4 by the time it is released? Please – no more goof-ups like the release candidate version.

3. William says:

If Silverlight 4 is still in beta in April how can we expect VS2010 to support it (a product that will most likely not even be feature-locked at the time?)  I would much rather have VS2010 with all the great new stuff it brings now, and then have the Silverlight 4 tools later when Silverlight 4 itself is no longer in beta.

4. Donald says:

I always wanted to ask this question since the last 15 years.  Why not include Office in the MSDN Professional subscription?  There are a bunch of developers like me that do not need any server (Exchange, Biztalk, etc.) for testing or any of the Dynamics products, but have end users that need solutions using Office.

5. Ron says:

What about VS Professional users? Do we pay 549 or 299 to upgrade?

6. Rich says:

Does the VS Professional Retail + MSDN Essentials include a source code repository solution?

7. Somasegar says:

Hi Betty,

Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate with MSDN includes Microsoft Test Manager and Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010. Together these enable the user to manage Test cases and Virtual Lab Images.

To license the physical lab machines you will however require licenses of Visual Studio Lab Management 2010 for each physical Lab Server CPU (this includes a limited use version of System Center Virtual Machine Manager).

You can find more details on Visual Studio 2010 licensing here:

8. Horst says:

Hi, whats the update price for VS2008 and more importand, does the update also contain MSDN Essentials?

9. Andy Foreman says:

Please, PLEASE just make one dream come true – GET RID OF CRYSTAL REPORTS!!!  In over 25 years in the biz, I have never seen such a horrible product, so horribly supported, so weakly documented, and so completely unknown to the very people who sell it (SAP).  I have lost not hours, not days, not weeks, but MONTHS of productivity due to Crystal Reports.  I strongly urge MS to consider this sad fact – everything you do to help us be more productive is squashed by this dinosaur of a product that you include.  Not to mention that VS with Crystal included is like ordering Filet Mignon with a side order of swamp weeds.  Dump the darn thing!

10. Somasegar says:

Hi Rich,

MSDN Essentials does not include a copy of Team Foundation Server 2010 (TFS).  The MSDN Essentials offering is primarily targeted at individual developers who want to work against the latest Microsoft platform offerings.

However, in the 2010 release we have done a lot of work to make TFS more accessible to everyone – two critical changes were to significantly lower the price of the product and include in that price access for the first 5 users without the requirement to purchase additional Client Access Licenses (CALs).

Another significant change was to streamline the install process so that TFS could work on the desktop as well as the largest scale out server configurations.

11. Somasegar says:

Hi Donald,

Our SKU structure is geared towards having tiers of product value with different price points.

At the core is VS Pro with MSDN Essentials (just the latest core platforms), VS Pro (all the core platforms), VS Premium (all the servers and client software), VS Ultimate (Everything).

12. Bill says:

Can you keep this offer open until VS 2010 SP1 is released? I have bugophobia.

13. Ron: Current Visual Studio Professional users, as well as users of other development environments can upgrade to Visual Studio 2010 Professional with MSDN Essentials for $549, which is the same price as the Visual Studio 2008 Professional upgrade. Here is a quick list of our estimated retail prices (ERP) in US Dollars for the Visual Studio family.

Visual Studio 2010 upgrade for Visual Studio 2005/2008 Standard customers: $299 ERP (until 12-Oct). This version does *not* include MSDN Essentials

Visual Studio 2010 Professional with MSDN Essentials: $799 ERP/$549 ERP Upgrade

Visual Studio 2010 Professional with MSDN: $1199 ERP/$799 ERP Renewal

Visual Studio 2010 Premium with MSDN: $5469 ERP/$2,299 ERP Renewal

Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate with MSDN: $11,899 ERP/$3,799 ERP Renewal

Visual Studio 2010 Test Professional with MSDN: $2,169 ERP/$899 ERP renewal

Team Foundation Server 2010: $499 license (per server)ERP/$399 upgrade (per server)ERP

Test Load Virtual User Pack (1000 virtual users) $4,499 ERP

More information about pricing, as well as information on how to get Visual Studio, will be available on http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio as we get closer to launch.

Thanks,

Matt Carter

Microsoft

14. Cory Fowler says:

It would be nice to have an upgrade path from Visual Studio 2008 Professional to Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate (without MSDN Essentials). Will this be offered?

15. Somasegar says:

Hi Sam and William,

Thanks for the feedback.  Our plan is to make SL4 tools for VS 2010 available at the same time as SL4 is available.

We know that we need to provide updated SL4 tools that works with VS 2010 RC in the interim and we are looking to delivering that later this month.

16. Ooh says:

Cory, currently there’s the Attach promo which you can use in combination with the Ultimate offer.

HTH, Ooh

17. You say the trial lasts 1 year. After a year do we have to give up our copies of Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise, and SQL Server 2008 Datacenter R2? Or can we keep them?

Also it’s the Datacenter edition of SQL Server 2008, what about the Developer edition so that we can install it on our Windows 7 OSs? As far as I’m aware the Standard, Enterprise and Datacenter editions will only install on server based OS (such as Windows Server 2008), and not on client OS (such as Windows 7), we need to Developer edition for that.

18. Sam says:

Soma,

Going by the thorough effort the Silverlight team put in for SL4 beta, I don’t understand what’s taking them so long to release the RC version! Are we going to have a RC for SL4 or just the final release as a surprise?

Further, will VS.NET 2010 support building Phone applications (at least using emulators) when it goes prime time in April this year?

Thanks in advance!

19. Stephan Jones says:

Is this just US or is there a UK upgrade deal too?

20. NetMage says:

It isn’t clearly specified which edition of VS 2010 will be purchasable by a Standard edition upgrade – I assume VS 2010 Professional?

Why exclude MSDN Essentials from upgraders?

21. MarcT says:

Thank you. We’ve been waiting on this news for a long time, and I’m always near the front of the line to complain. But other than the wait, this deal is absolutely the best we could ask for, so I want to give kudos to the DevDiv team for listening to the frustration and confusion with VS/TFS licensing, and working to solve the problems for the small shops like ours.

22. Hi Sam:

The development story for Windows Phone 7 Series will be discussed in great detail at the MIX Conference March 15th through 17th. Watch the conference website for more information (http://www.visitmix.com).

23. Hi Stephan:

The offers are global in nature, so customers in the UK will be able to take advantage of them.

Thanks,

Matt

24. Hi NetMage:

We are excluding MSDN Essentials to provide a transition price for Standard custoemrs to Visual Studio 2010 which is consistent with the previous VS Standard products.

Customers purchasing the Visual Studio 2010 upgrade from VS05/08 Standard will have the Visual Studio IDE without the dev/test rights for Windows 7/SQL Server 2008/Windows Server 2008 R2. Of course, Standard customers who want MSDN Essentials qualify for the upgrade price to VS2010 Pro with MSDN Essentials.

Thanks,

Matt

25. Karthik says:

What can the Student/Education Community Expect?

Will the new Visual Studio be available through the DreamSpark Program?

26. Hi Karthik:

Students who are members of the DreamSpark program will have access to Visual Studio 2010.

Thanks,

Matt

27. Jeff Lewis says:

This does sound quite good – and thank you Matt for the purchase/upgrade matrix… but I’m not clear on one thing.

If I own VS2008 Pro without MSDN – how does that translate to the VS2010 listings? All the VS2010 listings there have some MSDN offering.

Is it VS2008 Pro (without MSDN) -> VS2010 Pro (with MSDN Essentials) $549 and VS2008 Pro (without MSDN) -> VS2010 Pro (with MSDN) $799?

If so, this is quite the bargain.

28. Hi Jeff:

If you currently own Visual Studio 2008 Professional (standalone), you can:

1) Buy Visual Studio 2010 Professional with MSDN for $1199 (renewal would apply if you already had VS with an MSDN subscription)

–or–

2) Upgrade to Visual Studio 2010 Professional for $549, and get MSDN Essentials.

MSDN Essentials is 12 months of dev and test rights for Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2 and SQL Server 2008 Datacenter edition, whereas the full MSDN subscription has these plus the different flavors of the product, prevous versions of the SQL, Windows and Windows Server, support incidents, magazine subscriptions, etc.

Thanks,

Matt

29. SSLaks says:

When will the VS2010 RTM be available to MSDN subscribers?

30. danieldsmith says:

@Andy Foreman – Crystal Reports isn’t included in VS2010 any more.  It’s going to be a separate optional install from SAP:

I’d hardly say Crystal is "weakly documented".  See the extensive reference library on MSDN:

31. Ashish says:

What version of Visual Studio 2010 will be available to students through the DreamSpark program, Professional/Premium/Ultimate?

32. Harry says:

I do not have Visual studio now. I tried to go the Microsoft store, but I don’t see a link for me to purchase the $799 VS2010 professional edition + essential MSDN.

I guess I can do is to buy a VS 08 standard now (199), and also buy the upgrade to VS 2010 Pro + Essential MSDN (549). But it is actually cheaper than 799, is that what I should do?

33. Somasegar says:

Hi Ashish,

Visual Studio 2010 Professional will be available to students through the DreamSpark program.

34. Neil says:

I have an upgrade licence of Standard Edition 2008 (upgraded from an express edition), will I be able to use this ofer?

I am surprised that you’re not continuing with a 2010 standard edition as it makes it very expensive for a home developer who needs more features than an express edition.

35. Somasegar says:

Hi Harry,

If you have an older version of Visual Studio or have some other development tool, you should be able to upgrade to VS 2010 Professional + MSDN Essentials.  You can do that via the pre-order mechanism that is available now.

Alternately, you can wait till the product is launched in April and then buy VS 2010 Professional + MSDN Essentials.

36. Somasegar says:

Hi Neil,

If you have Standard Edition of 2009, you will be able to use the Standard Offer to get to VS 2010.

37. Robin says:

Looks like we will only be able to purchase VS 2010 with a subscription.  What happens at the end of one year?  Can we continue to use VS 2010 without renewing the subscription?

38. Somasegar says:

Hi Robin,

Yes – you can continue using VS 2010 at the end of one year even if you decide you didn’t want to continue the subscription.

39. Robin says:

I see that all versions (Professional, Premium, and Ultimate) indicate Team Foundation Server is included.  Do we need to purchase a copy of Team Foundation Server in addition to the Visual Studio subscriptions?

40. Somasegar says:

Hi Robin,

No, is the short answer.

Users with a MSDN Subscription (specifically, Visual Studio Ultimate with MSDN, Visual Studio Premium with MSDN, Visual Studio Professional with MSDN, and Visual Studio Test Professional with MSDN) can download and deploy one instance of Team Foundation Server 2010 on one device – with similar rights to prior versions of Team Foundation Server and new versions of Team Foundation Server that are released during the duration of the MSDN Subscription.

41. James says:

Matt Carter wrote:

"Current Visual Studio Professional users, as well as _users of other development environments_ can upgrade to Visual Studio 2010 Professional with MSDN Essentials for $549 […]"

I assume that this is in reference to the following:

I have asked in several locations, including Microsoft Store, but have yet to receive a satisfactory answer. Exactly what does "other development environments" mean? If I look, I could probably find my academic alliance copies of VS 6, .Net, and VS 2003. However, since then I prefer to use the Express products, initially 2005 and now 2008. As for other development environments, I also use Eclipse, gcc, and several others.

If I purchase the so-called upgrade, what precisely qualifies? During installation, can I just give a license number or do I need to go and install obsolete, unused software just to continue installation? Ideally I would like create a fresh Windows install and install VS2010 upon that; would that be possible with the upgrade? Or even better, would just having another development environment, as indicated, such as Eclipse suffice?

I have been trying to find definite answers these questions for weeks. Depending on the answers, I will either get the upgrade or use Express 2010.

42. Dman says:

If I have 2008 pro and don’t care about msdn essentials, can I get the $299 pricing? I find it ridiculous that you are making msdn essentials sound so great when it’s a trial version. I’d much rather pay $299 than $549 and you can keep your trialware.

Why do people who, you know, paid ms more for the pro version of 2008 get stuck paying more now?

43. a avrashow says:

Does MSDN Essentials let you install Win 7 on a few dev pcs? If yes, the cost of upgrading 3 Vista machines would cover the MSDN Essentials cost.

44. Gary says:

Why is the $299 offer for a retail copy without MSDN only being offered to 2008 Standard licenses?  I purchased the professional edition of 2008, and now I have to pay more than them to upgrade to a package I don’t need?

45. Priya says:

Hi,

I want to evaluate TEST PROFESSIONAL 2010, but having real hard time as it requires TFS 2010. I also installed TFS 2010 for which I am unable to complete the configuration part. It keeps giving 1 error, which I am unable to rectify. I sincerely suggest that atleast for evaluation purpose, connectivity to TFS 2008 should have been provided. I am able to connect to TFS 2008 thru VS 2008 Team suite. Do you know any workaround with which I can evaluate Test professional without using TFS 2010? If yes, please elaborate on that.

46. Amit Chatterjee/Microsoft says:

Hi Priya

There isn’t a way for the Test Professional 2010 client to connect to a TFS 2008 server, as it relies on a new test case management service that is introduced as part of TFS 2010.

It would be great if you can let us know the issue you are running into in configuring TFS 2010. We have inveted a lot of effort in really simplyfing the TFS installation and configuration in the 2010 release, and you can read more about this in Brian Harry’s blogs – for example,

Hopefully we can get you past the TFS 2010 configuration issue, and you can then move onto evaluating the Test Professional product!

47. Janez says:

Hi,

I agree with some other posters that you should offer VS 2010 Pro at $299 for users with Pro licenses too. MSDN Essentials sounds OK, but the problem is that it’s a trial and so I assume that it is not possible to use licenses included in MSDN Essentials after the subscription expires (with other MSDN subscriptions you can keep using products after MSDN subscription expires).

If we buy VS 2010 Pro with MSDN Essentials now will we be able to renew this MSDN Essentials subscription after it expires or will we have to renew to a Pro MSDN Subscription?

In other words, is MSDN Essentials a new form of MSDN subscription (with the possibility to renew it) or is it just a temporary trial offer and not a regular MSDN subscription?

48. Priya says:

Hi Amit,

I had issues with the first configuration of TFS 2010 for evaluating Test Professional 2010. So I uninstalled that version thinking that their could be some installation issues. Now when I click on TFS configuration console, it gives me error as – couldnt find method FocusorBlink(), and it just closes the configuration window. Next time, when I click, it gives me the same error and not allowing me to start the wizard. I googled it search if such similar error is found, but no results came up. So its kind of Wierd and have already spent 3 days of time just getting the TFS 2010 installation to work. I am helpless.

49. Kyle says:

To get VS 2010 PRO for $365 instead of $549, buy VS 2005 Standard from Buy.com for $65 to make yourself eligible for the $299 upgrade. http://www.buy.com/prod/microsoft-visual-studio-2005-standard-edition-standard-1-user-complete/q/listingid/38666681/loc/105/202045762.html

I agree it’s ridiculous that for me, having spend more to get 2008 PRO, making it cheaper for somebody to upgrade versions from standard to pro than it is to go from pro to pro. Typical MS crap.

50. JD says:

Does VS 2010 professional have the database project like VS 2005 Professional edition does?

51. Alan says:

>  I am announcing MSDN Essentials, a one-year trial MSDN subscription that will be included with every retail copy of Visual Studio Professional sold.

Would you please expand on this statement? While the trial may be for one year, is software downloaded, installed, _and_ activated fully usable after the year completes? Comments above indicate otherwise, so please clarify.

52. Aaron.Block says:

Hi Priya,

I work on the TFS setup team. Can you send me an email (ablock [~~at~~] microsoft [~dot~] com), and I’ll help you out.

Thanks,

–Aaron

53. Somasegar says:

Hi JD,

Yes – we have support for the database project in VS 2010.

54. Somasegar says:

Hi Alan,

You retain perpetual use rights for VS Pro.

55. Alan says:

Somasegar,

> For the software offered with MSDN Essentials, those licenses are valid as long as your MSDN subscription is active.  So, if you renew your MSDN trial subscription at the end of the year you can continue using the software.

Thank you for the prompt clarification. However, if the licenses are only valid for one year, then there really is no value in MSDN Essentials for people who have no intention in renewing. Knowing this in advance, I would rather not have MSDN Essentials at all. I think that you need to offer a less expensive version without MSDN Essentials.

56. Janez says:

If there won’t be VS Pro 2010 available at $299 for current Pro users you could at least allow MSDN Essentials users to keep the licenses for the SQL Server, Win7 and Win2008 if they decide not to renew. This would really add some value to the MSDN Essentials and would also be consistent with the other MSDN subscriptions where you keep your licenses even if you don’t renew.

Anyway, the best should be to offer current Pro users upgrade at $299.

57. phuff says:

a avrashow:

The licenses of Win7 and other software offered through MSDN Essentials are per developer, not per machine.  There’s no limit on the number of development and test machines you can install those licenses on, as long as they’re your machines and while your MSDN subscription is active.

Polita Paulus

Microsoft

58. Mite says:

how do were usually come to youself?

we are giving developers the opportunity to pre-order Visual Studio 2010??

59. Michel says:

Again the same question which wasn’t answered yet:

We own a licence for VS 2005 Pro.

Can we upgrade to VS 2010 Pro (without MSDN Essentials) for $299, just as the Standard edition owners can do?

Or are we at disadvantage for owning a more expensive product?

60. Craig says:

To be honest, I am rather bummed about the MSDN trial. If the software is only usable for the length of the trial, then it is worthless.

I read through the licensing document given above. It says "Visual Studio 2010 products can be purchased without an MSDN subscription in certain channels […] Visual Studio 2010 Professional can be licensed with or without an MSDN subscription." Where is this product and how much does it cost? Specifically how much is an upgrade from VS2005/2008? I cannot find it on the Microsoft Store or on Amazon.

Also, can the VS 2010 upgrade be slip-streamed into a full edition? Or must I separately install VS2005/VS2008 just to complete installation of VS2010? (Upon which time I would like to uninstall VS2005/VS2008. That is why a full edition is desirable.)

61. Sean Lynch says:

Will it be possible to get say Visual Studio 2010 Professional with MSDN and later upgrade to Visual Studio 2010 Premium? And how much would this cost?

62. Hi Craig:

Visual Studio license-only can be purchased through volume licensing starting on May 1st. Information about how to buy is available at http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/buy (this page will be updated on 12-April).

You can install the Visual Studio 2010 upgrade on its own without requiring the previous version. There is no need to use previous versions to complete the installation.

Thanks,

Matt

63. Hi Michel:

The $299 upgrade to Visual Studio 2010 (without MSDN essentials) from Visual Studio Standard is intended for current owners of Visual Studio Standard.

Thanks,

Matt

64. Hi Sean:

Right now we are investigating offering what you describe for upgrading to Premium from VS Professional, but at present do not have details or pricing to share. Stay tuned to Soma’s blog or http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio for more information.

65. Hi Sean:

66. Ashish says:

When will Visual Studio 2010 Professional RTM become available to the student community for download through the DreamSpark program? On the product RTM date???

67. Joe says:

Just want to verify two things please:

1) I reformat my machine often (im good at screwing it up :-)) – please verify that as long as I own 2008 Standard, I can purchase the 2010 professional upgrade for $299, and wont need to install 2008 first before installing the upgrade

2) Will 2010 Professional be available for download after purchase, or I need to get a disk.  I couldnt care less about having a disk.

68. Hi Joe:

1) You are correct. Visual Studio 2010 upgrade will install on its own without requiring a previous version installed on your PC.

2)The answer is yes here as well. We will be offering electronic software distribution for Visual Studio 2010 Professional. When VS2010 becomes available, customers can go to the Microsoft Store and choose if they want a physical box/DVD, or to receive the bits electronically.

Thanks!

Matt

69. Somasegar says:

Hi Ashish,

Yes – the plan is to make VS2010 available via DreamSpark for students the same day as the RTM product availability.

70. Ravi says:

Sir, i’m facing a problem while downloading softwares through the DreamSpark website… I see that the software download is available only for 24hrs since the dowload start, after which i get an error in my download manager ("Invalid user name and password")… Since i have a slow internet connection so it has become nearly impossible for me to download my softwares… Can you suggest a way for me to download the product?

One more thing, i have download the Visual Studio 2008 90-day trial from MSDN eveluation center… So, will my DreamSpark product key work with the 90-day download?(I’m asking this so that i dont have to download VS2008 again!) Plz help…

71. LouisVuittonstory says:

i have download the Visual Studio  slow internet connection so it has become nearly impossible

72. Scott says:

Microsoft is way over pricing these products.  It’s what encourages us to bootleg it since we have families to feed while they continue to suck money from us constantly.  I’ll steal it again.

73. Ben says:

Matt,

> Visual Studio 2010 upgrade will install on its own without requiring a previous version installed on your PC.

Thank you for the confirmation. I was wondering the same thing. I too plan on installing VS2010 on a freshly installed system so ideally would like to skip VS2008 installation, so this is great news.

Could you elaborate a bit about how this will work? During a VS2010 Update installation, may I assume that it just asks you to input your VS2005/2008 disc and license number?

Either way, I guess I will find out shortly as I will be ordering as soon as the (above) upgrade is available for purchase, which looks like it will be next week.

I have been using the beta for a while now and am extremely happy with it. Great work, Microsoft.

74. LouisVuittonstory says:

They like emphasize the the importance of the largeness-by-association as they can know well your social status from

http://www.lvbagmall.com/fromhandbags.html  from handbags

http://www.lvbagmall.com/fromhandbags.html from handbags

We’ve identified several  http://www.lvbagmall.com/imitationhandbags.html imitation handbags

of similar shapes of major brands and let’s take a closer look at these seemingly "twins".

http://www.lvbagmall.com/imitationhandbags.html  imitation handbags

75. Hi Ben:

The VS2010 upgrade is self-contained, you don’t have to go and find your old keys or anything to proceed with the installation.

I hope you enjoy it!

Matt

76. Craig says:

> Standard customers can take advantage of this offer April 12-October 12, 2010.

It is April 12th now and I am looking for this offer.

For example, it is not listed here:

Could someone please update this page with details on where to find the standard update offer? Thanks.

77. mgeorgedeveloper says:

Unable to find the Professional version with MSDN Essentials offer anywhere for sale. http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/professional. The only Buy button is "with MSDN". Any idea where to find the Essentials offer?

78. Stefan says:

Found the US one, has anyone seen the UK/European one?

US is here in case someone is looking: http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Visual-Studio-2010-Professional-Upgrade-for-Visual-Studio-Standard-Users/product/BE303EE9

79. Mark Davis says:

I represent a gold partner consulting firm in Minnesota that is already an MSDN subscriber.  We’re unable to download Visual Studio Ultimate 2010 this afternoon.  The marketing consistently says "it’s available to MSDN subscribers," but doesn’t specify *which* subscribers. Does this indicate we need to upgrade our subscription level, and to what (assuming the tiers have changed)?

80. Mark M says:

Why cant I buy a VS2008 Pro to VS2010 Pro upgrade without any of the MSDN packages. A technet subscription already provides me with the server software I require.

81. Sean M says:

Why is the VS2008 Standard -> VS2010 Professional deal not available to Australian users? There’s the deal here: http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Visual-Studio-2010-Professional-Upgrade-for-Visual-Studio-Standard-Users/product/BE303EE9 but it appears to be for US people only? Pretty dissappointing. I have to spend almost $1000 to get the upgrade, versus US devs who spend ~$300

82. Isao says:

Mimicking Sean. Why is the product not available to Japanese users? Just like before, I am going to have to have it delivered to a US address and then re-sent to me… what a pain in the ass.

You did the exact same thing when I purchased Windows 7 and pretty much every other product that I have purchased from you. For one thing, the price is 1.7 times as much in Japan. Ex: VS2008 Pro is 13,440 yen (=$1,344) compared to the US version at $799. Also, the translation is horrible…

I will be getting VS2010, but always make it so difficult.

83. JohaViss says:

And also:

Why is the product not available for Dutch users?

I have to buy it with Amazon in the UK (At a higher price) and have to wait till june 3 before they ship it.

Why can’t I get it NOW?

Now I am forced to wait almost 2 months before I can start working with VS2010

84. BlockHead says:

Can anyone provide a link to this $299 upgrade deal where i can can buy in Canada? Only option in Canada is $729 for an upgrade, in addition the US also has a $549 deal with MSDN essentials. Not everyone wants MSDN, i only want VS2010 Pro. That’s it.

85. Russellw says:

MSDN Essentials doesn’t come with TFS, but does it come with a TFS CAL for those VS clients to connect to a TFS server?

86. Shawn Nandi / Microsoft says:

Hi Russell

MSDN Essentials does not come with a TFS CAL. The Visual Studio 2010 Professional with MSDN product inlcudes a TFS Server license, a TFS CAL, and a range of other benefits.

Alternatively, when purchsed in the retail channel Team Foundation Server 2010 lets up to five users connect without requiring a TFS CAL.

Thanks

Shawn

87. Russellw says:

Thanks Shawn.

One other question, does a copy of VS 2010 Pro/Prem/Ult (not MSDN…just the product) include rights to access the TFS server (aka CAL) ?

88. TimT says:

I’m still eagerly awaiting my VS2010 Pro w/MSDN Essentials pre-order to be fulfilled.  I got an e-mail titled "Notice: Product Delivery Delay‏" stating this:

"The Visual Studio 2010 launch is an important event, and we’re working hard to fulfill your order. We’re currently upgrading our systems and we may not be able to fulfill your order immediately. We will notify you when the process is complete, and in any event, we will update you on where we are with our system upgrade by no later than April 17, 2010. "

89. BlockHead says:

"Can I jjust download and install the trial version now, and enter the product key when my pre-order is fulfilled?  This delay for the offical download is maddening."

Yes you can, there is a place for you to paste in a key. The trial is only 30 days, sounds like you’ll have a key by then.

I agree, this is maddening, there was apparently supposed to be a deal for 2008 standard users to be able to upgrade for only $299, seems to be non-existent in CANADA and disappeared off the US site?

90. Shawn Nandi / Microsoft says:

In Response to TimT’s question above:

Hi Tim, please download the Visual Studio 2010 Professional Trial Edition to get started. When your pre-order is fulfilled, you’ll be able to use the product key provided to activate.

Thanks

Shawn

91. Shawn Nandi / Microsoft says:

In Response to BlockHead’s question above:

The special upgrade SKU for Visual Studio 2005/2008 Standard Edition customers to upgrade to Visual Studio 2010 is available from the Microsoft Store in both the US and Canada. If you’re having trouble finding it, please email me at snandi at microsoft dot com and we’ll work with the Microsoft Store to fix any issues.

US:

Canada:

This offer will also be available to Visual Studio Standard customers around the world – either through the Microsoft Store (where available) or through local Microsoft retailers. If the offer is currently available at a Microsoft Store in your region you’ll be able to find it by clicking http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=188895 (note that this link redirects to a store in your region based on your browser language setting). If you do not see it on the Microsoft Store in your region it will be available there when then the localized language version of Visual Studio 2010 for your region becomes available. If there is no Microsoft Store in your region please contact a local Microsoft retailer for availability information.

Thanks

Shawn

92. BlockHead says:

That is awesome news Shawn, Thanks!

93. Russellw says:

Any response to my second question?

94. Shawn Nandi / Microsoft says:

In response to Russelw’s question above

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

The rights to the TFS CAL are included in the MSDN subscription that comes with Visual Studio 2010 Professional, Visual Studio 2010 Premium, and Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate. Please see the product comparison chart on this page for details: http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products

Thanks

Shawn

95. Aaron says:

Add me to the ever-growing list of potential buyers who are having difficulty purchasing VS2010 outside the US. Microsoft Store (US) will not ship outside the US or accept credit cards with non-US billing addresses. (The local Microsoft Store is useless because they do not sell in the language that I want and the price is almost double, so that is a dead end.)

In this regard, Amazon (US) will at least accept orders from people with non-US billing addresses. For software, though, they will usually not ship outside the US, but at least it could be delivered to a US acquaintance who could then re-ship it to you. This is a standard method that I often need to employ when purchasing Microsoft software.

However, the Standard to Professional VS2010 upgrade does not seem to be available on Amazon. Is this a Microsoft Store exclusive? If so, then one? If not, then please ensure that Amazon can sell it. I would really like to purchase the software, but every option is being blocked. This is quite frustrating.

96. Shawn Nandi / Microsoft says:

In response to Aaron’s question above:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Hello Aaron, the special upgrade offer for Visual Studio 2005/2008 Standard customers to move to Visual Studio 2010 is not a Microsoft Store exclusive offer. It is available to Microsoft retailers around the world. It takes a few weeks from the actual software release for our manufacturing group to build the boxes, and ship them to retailers (including Amazon) so that they can stock and start selling them.

Here is an option that may work to help you get started immediately: You can download a trial version of the Visual Studio 2010 edition that you’re interested in purchasing from http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio. When you purchase your product from Amazon (or another retailer) you can use the license key from that product to unlock your trial. The trial is initially set to 30 days but can be extended to 90 days after registering.

Thanks

Shawn

97. Russellw says:

Your answer still is not clear.

The link you provided is all the Visual Studio skus WITH MSDN subscriptions.

I am asking about a retail box purchase scenario.

If I was to walk into Best Buy and pick up a copy of Visual Studio 2010 Premium off the shelf, would that purchase of Visual Studio allow me to access a TFS server?

If yes, then I can infer that a copy of VS 2010 contains a CAL.

If not, then I have to assume that a user who did not wish to purchase all of what an MSDN subscription contains would have to purchase VS 2010 at its full price as well as a separate CAL at its full price.

Is that correct?

98. Don Gamble says:

Shawn the link for the Canadian site appears broken as the last part of the text was omitted from the hyper link.  Cutting and Pasting the full text does appear to work.

Unfortunately, the Canadian site lists the product at $399 not $299.

99. Ali says:

How do we activate the MSDN Essentials Subscription?  I received a product code via email from the Store with no instructions on how to activate it.

The problem is that the MSDN Activation page does not take an activation code.  It’s looking for a Subscriber ID.  any ideas?

100. Shawn Nandi/Microsoft says:

Regarding Ali’s question:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Sorry this was not clear – the instructions should have been provided in the receipt for your purchase, and on the receipt page on the Microsoft Store website.

Please visit http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/activate and use the MSDN Essentials subscription activation key that you were provided by the Microsoft Store to activate it.

Note that an MSDN Subscriber ID is only required if you are renewing an existing MSDN subscription.

If you are running into problems please send me a mail at snandi at microsoft dot com and we’ll get to the bottom of it.

Thanks

Shawn

101. shilpa says:

url for downloading RTM version of ultimate 2010

102. Brett says:

I have searched all over the web and found several asking why the Ultimate link on MSDN downloads is disabled, but nobody will answer the question. Is there an answer, Microsoft?

103. Regarding Brett’s comment

Bret, we have had no other reports of this issue and have just validated that the MSDN Subscribers downloads is serving Ultimate to subscribers who have access to it as part of their subscription.

If you believe you should have access or are experiencing any other errors please contact the customer service centers who will be able to look at your account details and check your subscription with you.

The email and phone details are below.

Thanks!

104. Mark M says:

I would love an explanation of this Australian pricing. If I had bought the cheaper Standard version of Visual Studio 2008 I can upgrade to Pro for $AU508 but as someone who paid for the more expensive Professional version I would have to pay and extra $AU437($AU945) to upgrade from from VS2008 Pro to VS2010 Pro. This pricing defies any reasonable logic.

105. Ben says:

Hands up. I give up.

After months of beta testing and planning an update to VS2010, I just spent the last two weeks in communications with MS Store US any my local (Japan) MS Store. They will not sell me the English version because my credit card has a non-US address.

I talked to many individuals and even a supervisor several time. They were all kind and tried to help, but in the end there was no resolution.

As much as I want to purchase it, you will not sell it to me. And with the Standard to Pro upgrade deal only lasting until the fall, I doubt that this can be resolved before then. I will most likely need to skip this release and try again with VS2012 or whatever it will be called.

You make wonderful products, but you make it so damn difficult to purchase. It’s so frustrating.

106. Shawn Nandi / Microsoft says:

In response to Russellw’s question above:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Your answer still is not clear.

The link you provided is all the Visual Studio skus WITH MSDN subscriptions.

I am asking about a retail box purchase scenario.

If yes, then I can infer that a copy of VS 2010 contains a CAL.

Is that correct?

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

To clarify: in the retail channel, we only sell Visual Studio Premium and Visual Studio Ultimate with a one-year MSDN subscription. You can choose to purchase Visual Studio Professional with or without a one-year MSDN subscription in the retail channel (please note that I’m referring to a full MSDN subscription, not MSDN Essentials).

In certain Volume Licensing programs (for example, Open and Select) you have the option to purchase Visual Studio Professional, Visual Studio Premium and Visual Studio Ultimate with or without and MSDN subscription.

I’m happy to answer any other questions. Please feel free to send me a mail at snandi at microsoft dot com

Shawn

107. Shawn Nandi / Microsoft says:

In response to Ben’s question above:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

The best option would probably be to start using the english Visual Studio Pro trial edition today. It’s a 30 day trial which is extendable by an additional 60 days when you register online. Once the Visual Studio Standard to Pro Upgrade becomes available at retailers in Japan (which is expected in the June timeframe) you can purchase either the Japanese or English version, and use the key from that version to unlock your trial version.

Please send me a mail at snandi at microsoft dot com and we can connect you with the right folks in our Japanese office to help resolve this.

Thanks

Shawn

108. Daniel says:

I have an expensive VS 2005 Professional license. My MSDN subscription has already expired.

I want to upgrade to VS 2010 Professional, >> without MSDN essentials <<.

Can I do this by buying the $299 upgrade plan?

109. Shawn Nandi / Microsoft says:

In response to Daniel’s question above:

Hi Daniel

Unfortunately not – we provided a special upgrade specifically for Visual Studio Standard customers because we are no longer shipping that product in the Visual Studio 2010 timeframe. To provide additional value for Visual Studio Professional customers looking to buy the $549 upgrade, we added MSDN Essentials.

Shawn

110. Josef says:

where to find the option to purchase full w/ msdn essentials?

k, just found it.  You have to first choose the upgrade version.  Then you can change radio button to full.

It would be most helpful if the title read ‘… Upgrade & Full’ or some such.  I never thought to go to upgrade version to buy full, happened by chance.

111. Derek says:

"MSDN Essentials subscribers will have access to three of the latest Microsoft platforms: Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise, and SQL Server 2008 Datacenter R2 for development and test use"

Just a warning if you are interested in SQL Server 2008 R2 Datacenter…. MSDN essentials only provides access to SQL Server 2008 express, a *free* product.

112. Gavin says:

What is this mad pricing?

– upgrade from VS2005/2008 Standard Users to VS2010 Professional £269.99

– upgrade from VS2005/2008 Professional to VS2010 Professional £484.99

So those of us that have supported Microsoft and bought a more expensive product are charged MORE to upgrade than those that bought the cheaper product?! This is insulting to your loyal professional developers. I am disgusted that you think this is the way to treat us. And no, I'm not interested in being forced to have MSDN.

By all means charge the latter price for upgrading from other development products, competitors, or whatever, but the price for upgrading from VS2005/2008 to VS2010 should be the SAME for ALL.

I hope you will reconsider this. I note that these comments are echoed by several others in this thread.

113. Adam says:

I have Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Express and Popfly (beta) can not install to my Windows Home Premium + SP2, answer me somebody please , when will be Popfly RC or RTM for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010? I'm searching informations for the Popfly, but haven't.

114. phuff says:

Adam, I'm sorry to say that the Popfly project has completed and there won't be subsequent releases of it.  I apologize for the inconvenience.

Polita Paulus

Microsoft

115. Adam says:

I'm worry, and alternative application except Popfly to simple use?

116. Jim says:

I don't get it why Standard Users can upgrade for a lesser price than pro 2005/2008 users. Please change your policy of forcing us to buy MSDN Esssentials as part of Visual Studio 2010 Professional.  I have been a loyal customer of Visual Studio Professional for the last 10 years and if I needed MSDN Essentials then I can purchase the MSDN/Technet subscription.

I looked at other product lines and they are not outraging their customer base by offering less expensive upgrades from their standard lines vs professional lines.

IMHO, the argument that Standard version isn't offered in VS 2010 doesn't make any sense for the advantageous upgrade pricing for Standard Users vs Professional users as the new Standard version is "Professional".

117. jonas says:

I agree with some previous posters that charging current VS Pro license owners more than current VS Std license owners is really mad. A lot of us already bought Win 7 when it was released, there were some good promotions at that time, a lot of us already have SQL 2008 Dev Edition, it costs cca. $50, so I think the majority of us really don't need some trial versions of these products available in MSDN Essentials (you will have to buy licenses or renew MSDN after one year to continue using them).

In the past I always bought Pro version, never considered Standard. Well, now I have to buy Standard 2008 Upgrade first (I already have Pro 2008) to qualify for promotion since the cost of Standard 2008 Upgrade + 2010 Promotion for Std users is less than the cost of VS 2010 Upgrade + MSDN Essentials. In other words, I will have to buy Std 2008 to qualify for the promotion and to collect dust.

If you still see no option to charge current Pro version licence owners the same price as Std license owners, consider a 'pure' version of VS 2010 Pro Upgrade WITHOUT MSDN Essentials and charge it somewhere between Std Promotion and MSDN Essentials Upgrade.

118. Annoyed says:

I echo many posters above who are disgusted that we have to pay MORE than old standard users to upgrade. WE DON'T WANT MSDN ESSENTIALS! For us it is ****NOT**** "essential" so I think you should change the name of it to :

Visuals Studio 2010 Professional Upgrade with "MSDN which we're forcing you to buy because we only care about money and not people who have been our customers for years"

Ridiculous! We don't even get it cheaper than moving from a competitor's product or the express edition!!!

However, as I understand from a couple of posts above, we can remove any previous versions of VS, or even reformat the drive and install the cheaper "upgrade from Standard" option *without* having to reinstall an old version or enter licence keys. Microsoft obviously don't advertise this "loophole". Well put Joe… shame about having to reformat so often 😉 😉

119. Annoyed says:

120. Gray says:

I've VS2005 Standard Edition and I upgraded it with VS2008 Professional Upgrade. Am I still eligible to purchase VS2010 Professional Upgrade for Standard user?

Thank you.

121. phuff says:

Gray, yes, you are eligible for the Standard Offer.

Polita Paulus

Microsoft

122. Gray says:

Thanks phuff.

123. Rick says:

If I have VS 2005 Pro now (expired MSDN Pro subscription), and I want to build a new PC with Win 7 and VS 2010 Pro, and use my old PC for Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008, would I qualify for the $549 VS 2010 upgrade with MSDN Essentials, and would MSDN Essentials give me Win 7, Server 2008, and SQL Server 2008?

Thanks!

124. phuff says:

Rick-

Yes, you would qualify for the $549 VS 2010 Professional Upgrade with MSDN Essentials. MSDN Essentials is a one year trial MSDN subscription that provides use rights for development and test activities for the latest version of Windows client, SQL Server, and Windows Server (currently: Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, and SQL Server 2008) . Please note that these use rights expire after the MSDN Essentials subscription period ends. To continue using these products you have the option to renew onto an MSDN Professional subscription.

Polita Paulus

Microsoft

125. BrianK says:

I purchased VS 2010 w/ MSDN Essentials but I'm still not clear as to what happens if I install Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 on my computer and continue to use the OS as my development platform past the one year period of my subscription. Will the OS be crippled if I don't renew?

126. rearndt says:

The snub of VS2008 Pro users who cannot benefit from the $299 upgrade to VS2010 WITHOUT MSDN-Non-Essentials is simply MAD! Not only has MS initiated a VIOLENTLY UNFAIR upgrade path for customers who have invested more in earlier versions, but the MS employees who are moderating this forum have purposely avoided the protests of many posters and danced around the issue!

It is simply WRONG to require Pro users to pay more for what they want/need than Standard users. It is indefensible.

That being said, I purchased (retail) VS2008 Standard. Then I upgraded from that to VS2008 Pro. Can I use the Standard install disc to comply with the upgrade requirement of the VS2010 Pro installer, or will it prevent loading because I have VS2008 Pro installed? If so, can I remove VS2008 Pro and reinstall Standard and have the VS2010 installer succeed?

I hate to sound nasty, but this is insane! If, as a VS2010 Pro user, I cannot benefit from the $299 offer, I will NOT use 2010. Simple as that. VWD Express will have to do.

127. phuff says:

rearndt, you are indeed eligible for the Standard Upgrade offer.

Polita Paulus

Microsoft

128. rearndt says:

Phuff,

Thank you for your reply. Are you saying that the VS2010 upgrade from Standard will install over my installed VS2008 Pro instance with my VS2008 Standard install disc as verification? Do I need to delete 08 Pro first and, most importantly, will the VS2010 installer refuse to load if it finds some remnant of the 08 Pro installation?

I appreciate your help.

129. Doug Seven / Microsoft says:

rearndt

Please email me directly to discuss your upgrade from VS2008 to VS2010.

doug_DOT_seven_AT_microsoft_DOT_com

130. Laski says:

I purchased the VS2010 upgrade at the MS Storefront. It says on the storefront that you get MSDN Essentials and 1 year access to latest versions of Windows server and SQL Server. No mention of "Data Center version only". I did not know this until later when MSDN Cust service flatly denied me access saying so. Why would Microsoft provide misleading information like this? Even the disk shipped to me has the same language – "You get access to latest versions of Windows Server and SQL Server to do development and testing". I feel cheated now…

131. Ajkinn says:

Hi Laski,

SQL Datacenter edition is the highest edition of SQL Server and contains all the features in SQL Enterprise and SQL Developer.   Please accept my apologies if this was unclear.

Additional information on SQL Datacenter can be found here: http://www.microsoft.com/…/R2-editions.aspx

Additional information on feature comparison by SQL edition can be found here.

Thanks,

Amber Kinney

Microsoft

132. vrkorada says:

Hi Phuff,

Can you please confirm whether we can upgrade our VS2005 Prof to VS2010 Prof (without MSDN) for $299?

Thanks,

Venkat

133. hudavwerdi says:

That is awesome news Shawn, Thanks!

134. cjr says:

Wow, so you are saying that If I had bought 2008 Standard, then Upgraded to Pro, I could have the $299 deal. But because I bought 2008 Pro first time round, I can't? Who came up with this? This makes no sense whatsoever. I thought MS was trying to streamline it's licensing terms — this smacks of the bad old days of irrational license levels.

May have to just make do with 2010 Express for now 🙁 I feel a little cheated.

135. Quinn says:

Greetings…we are a very small development shop and I recall MS having some kind of special pricing for MS products for small companies ( 1 developer, 1 sys admin and 1 senior consultant ).

We are looking to get VS 2010 Premium with a MSDN sub for our 1 developer but the cost is around $4800.  Is there any way to get this full subscription at a much lower price?

Thanks

qmikej@gmail.com

136. phuff says:

Quinn, your company may qualify for the BizSpark program, which provides Microsoft software at no upfront cost.  You can find the requirements and a way to apply for inclusion at http://www.microsoft.com/bizspark.

Polita Paulus

Microsoft

137. Prakash says:

I'm currently using licensed copy of MS VS 2010 Professional, can I upgrade it to MS VS 2010 Ultimate? (I need the Testing tool facilities from ultimate) If so, what will be the up-gradation cost for that?

138. birumut says:

Great!!! thanks for sharing this information to us!

139. Robert Gustafson says:

I already have VS 2008 PROFESSIONAL Edition (on a Win Vista SP 2, 32-bit system). If I want to upgrade to VS 2010 Professional, should I specifically purchase VS 2010 PROFESSIONAL Upgrade? (NOTE: Of VS 2008, I've only installed the VB and C# languages, not C++, on my system. Does that matter at all?)

140. phuff says:

Robert Gustafson-

Yes, you can purchase and install VS 2010 Professional Upgrade.  Which languages you have installed won't impact your VS2010 install.

Polita Paulus

Microsoft

141. mbholm says:

I've purchased VS2010 w/Essentials for $549 back in March.  This subscription level does not contain TFS access – Full MSDN (Pro) does.  I read a post that implied that renewing this subscription for $799 automatically upgrades the subscription to Pro.  Is this true?

Here's the post from phuff/microsoft on: 30 Jun 2010 3:18 PM     Note the last line.

Rick-

Polita Paulus

Microsoft

142. Ajkinn says:

Hello Rick,

If you purchase Visual Studio Pro + MSDN for $799 at the end of your MSDN Essentials subscription trial period you will be have access TFS as well as access to everything in the Visual Studio Pro + MSDN subscription.

Amber Kinney/ Microsoft

143. veli says:

Thank you. We've been waiting on this news for a long time, and I'm always near the front of the line to complain. But other than the wait, this deal is absolutely the best we could ask for, so I want to give kudos to the DevDiv team for listening to the frustration and confusion with VS/TFS licensing, and working to solve the problems for the small shops like ours.