MSDN Online Community Content turns 1!

Exactly one year ago today, I announced the broad customer availability of the Community Content feature in the MSDN Online Library. This feature allows developers to contribute code and content in a wiki environment alongside the official online documentation.

A year has gone by and I am pleased to say that this feature has been extended to over 3.3 million topics of documentation, covering 8 languages, in the MSDN and TechNet online libraries.

More importantly, I want to take this opportunity to thank the close to 4,000 registered contributors worldwide that have added comments, tips, notes and code samples directly alongside the developer and ITPro documentation we publish. These contributions will benefit the community of developers and IT professionals around the world.

Moving forward, we have a set of exciting new features in the pipeline. The most significant ones are:

Improved discoverability of the community content feature, based on feedback we have received from you

Scoped RSS feeds that will allow you to track contributions to specific areas of the library

Editor improvements that will make adding content easier and more flexible

A recognition feature to give more credit to contributors

I would like to extend an invitation to all developers and IT professionals that visit our online libraries to try this feature and contribute code and content. Your unique experience with our products and technologies is worth sharing. The more you contribute, the more we all benefit!

Namaste!

1. Nektar says:

I liked this feature very much. The only reason that I haven’t used it myself to contribute is that if you find a documentation error or bug it says that you should not use the community content to report it but you should go to a separate website and file a lengthy bug report, a long process which I am unwilling to spend my time on, although I have found many errors in the documentation which I could have easily fixed by adding a correction in the community content section. But you say that community content is not for that and so I haven’t contributed.

2. fabricef-MSFT says:

If you come across a documentation error, we encourage you to report it through the community content feature. Please be sure to tag it as "contentbug", so that we can easily find it and use that information to update the documentation as we do that continuously. Once the documentation bug is fixed, we will remove the content block. Another easy way to report a documentation issue is available directly on the topic itself, under "Click to rate and give feedback", on the upper right area of your screen. Looking forward to your contributions!

3. Dhruvin Gajjar says:

I am a big big fan of MSDN site as a whole. Through all my acedemic years and in my role as a software developer I have loved this site till the time this wiki feature was added to it.

Before this feature, MSDN pages were like a normal quick loading web pages. But, as per my observations, all those pages in which community content was added never gave me a good user experience at all ever. Every time I would load such a page in my browser, there would be scrolling problems every time a mouse hovered the community content region in the page or soemtimes the page would take years to load in browser even over a 10 MBPS line.

I didn’t want to join facebook for such an issue and also am not able to send mail from home to wikifdbk, so posting it over here. It would be really nice if there would be a feedback form put on MSDN pages instead of writing a mail to wikifdbk.

Thanks,

-Dhruvin.

4. fabricef-MSFT says:

Dhruvin, per my previous post, please note that every topic in the MSDN library has a feedback area in the upper right corner of the topic, under "Click to rate and give feedback". We take feedback on the topic, as well as the community content for that topic. I encourage you to use this mechanism to give us feedback on any topic.

5. Soma posted on the MSDN Wiki being one year old . It has been a fun project and we have lots more in

6. On Friday, we had our 1 year anniversary of Community Content. The team would like to thank all the contributors

7. Anon says:

I have used the click to rate and give feedback but it seems that my feedback is never acted upon. For example, some years ago I reported an error in the samples found in the Platform SDK on the Win32 Treeview Control. They could not even compile. And until this day no fix was provided. Generally, now that I have the opportunity, the Win32 topics are very old, the samples need updating and modernizing, they need to adopt the same conventions everywhere, there should be more accessible even to beginners and they should be more complete in all areas. Richer samples are also needed. The .NET topics appear to me much better, whilst the old Win32 topics are, well old. Written in the 80s or 90s it seems. Please modernize them and take feedback seriously. If I were you I would have re-written many of them and put more descriptions for every little detail and also more sample code. Programming for Win32 API especially for a beginner is much much much than .NET, partly thanks to the old documentation.

8. On Friday, we had our 1 year anniversary of Community Content. The team would like to thank all the contributors

9. Blind says:

The click to rate feedback area is inaccessible to screen-readers. Where should I click and after I type my feedback in the edit box, where do I click to get it submitted?

10. Crossbar says:

11. Check out Soma’s blog entry about the Community Content feature in the MSDN Online Library. This feature

12. Anon,

I will pass your feedback to our content team. We take documentation feedback from customers and work on improving our content. We got 80,000 plus customer comments for our VS 2005 content. We incorporate these feedback and improve our product and documentation.

I will make sure your feedback is taken in improving the Win32 API content. Cheers.

Anand..

Group Manager

Microsoft Corp.

13. Mahiways says:

Three Cheers for MSDN Wiki!!

where is d Party?

😉

14. Soma wrote:

>>  If you have questions or feedback, you can contact the team via the MSDNWiki feedback alias or visit them online in the MSDN and TechNet Facebook groups.   <<

The email links are broken. mailto:wikifdbk @ what domain?! How do I email them? I have feedback specific to the topic being discussed here. I’ll be glad if you could provide the email address of the team.

Thanks.

Rajesh.

15. MegP_MS says:

Rajesh – you can contact the team at wikifdbk@microsoft.com.

-Meghan