Silverlight 1.0 released!

Earlier this year at NAB ’07 and MIX ’07, we unveiled the Silverlight brand, tools, infrastructure, and roadmap, and committed to shipping Silverlight 1.0 in late summer.

I am very pleased to say that we have delivered on that promise and today we announced the release of Silverlight 1.0 as well as Expression Encoder 1.0.  Both are available on the web today!

I am excited to see that interest in adopting Silverlight for rich web solutions continues to be high.  Major League Baseball is already live using the release candidate bits of Silverlight 1.0. Other sites are coming online in the next few day, such as CBS/ETOnline, Home Shopping Network, World Wrestling Entertainment, and more.  We also have some examples of Microsoft properties that are already using Silverlight include MSN Podium ’08, XBOX Halo 3 (using Silverlight Streaming service by Windows Live), Tafiti, and MSN Extra.

In addition to this exciting news, we have announced a partnership between Microsoft and Novell, through which Novell will deliver an implementation of Silverlight on Linux, called Moonlight, in the coming months.  We are listening to community feedback and supporting this project to ensure that Silverlight is truly cross platform.

We are very excited about being able to bring these to you and look forward to you with a unified value proposition across our platforms, our tools, and our server/infrastructure offerings.  The Silverlight 1.1 Alpha September Preview, which is compatible with Silverlight 1.0, is also available today.

1. Gary says:

Sounds good. 🙂

Where can we find the Silverlight 1.1 September Alpha Preview? It’s not on the Silverlight site and I don’t see any mention of it on MSDN.

2. dcook says:

Where is the best place to weigh in on the future of Silverlight (give feedback)?

Silverlight had me very excited for a little while, as I have been looking for a way to write simple, easy-to-install, media-enabled, cross-platform applets. And with .NET support in version 1.1, I could even use all of my C# knowledge.

The current deployment looks like this: Install Media Player. Install .NET 2.0. Install Acrobat. Install Flash. Install application. (This only works on Windows.) If this could all be replaced with "Install Silverlight" (this works on Windows AND Mac!), some people I know would be very happy.

Unfortuately, it looks like Silverlight is just a few yards short of meeting my needs. 99% there – very frustrating! For example, while I understand that the default Silverlight host will want to tightly sandbox the applet, it would be nice if a host could permit access to additional OS resources. For example, one app I want to write would need to run from (and load media files from) a CD-ROM or possibly cached on the local filesystem. This seems tricky with the current sandboxing. (Maybe I could bypass some of this with a customized host?)

Also, while the majority of my media is in WMV, some of the current media is in PDF and Flash. I might be able to convert from PDF to XPS, and maybe convert from Flash to Silverlight, but it would be nice to be able to let my Silverlight code control a PDF and Flash plugin somehow.

Obviously, my needs aren’t the same as anybody else’s, but I would love to see a place where developers could vote for the features they need the most.

3. Somasegar says:

Hi Gary,

You can download the Silverlight 1.1 September Alpha preview from here:

4. Somasegar says:

The forums on is the best place for you to post questions and feedback.

Also, you can actually run media off of a CD-ROM drive.  You can put a HTML file on the CD-ROM disk and set it to auto-run when it is inserted.  Within the HTML page, you can then host Silverlight and have it load the media off the CD-ROM to play.

5. Gary says:

While the download page for the 1.1 alpha refresh says "Sep 2007," the installer says "July 2007." Did the devs forget to change this or has the release not been uploaded? The version I have is 1.1.20816.0.

6. Jamie Cool (MS) says:

The version  of Silverlight you have, 1.1.20816.0, is the final RTM version so your good to go.    From 7/27 through August we effectively did weekly updates to the RC candidate to test the auto-updating experience in Silverlight.   So effectively the July -> Sept release was one release with an iterrating small set of bug fixes.