Helping developers with "How Do I" information

Over the past year we have experimented with a few different ways of providing information and help to our customers and the community.

Earlier this year, I blogged about some of the work we have been doing in the forums to provide online help to developers.  We took another big step in this direction with what I call the “How-Do-I” videos.

These videos are short 10-15 minute videos which pick a specific scenario and show step-by-step how to do that with the given technology.  About a year ago we started creating these videos for ASP.NET and ASP.NET AJAX and publishing them on www.asp.net, and the response has been very positive from the community both in terms of total downloads and individual feedback to the presenters.

So, we have expanded our focus and are now providing How-Do-I videos for many more areas.  Here are links to see the videos, and we will be adding more on a regular basis, so check back often:

ASP.Net videos

ASP.Net AJAX videos

Devices videos

Expression videos

Extensibility videos

Office/VSTO videos

Silverlight videos

Visual Basic videos

VSTS videos

Windows Forms videos

WPF videos

Namaste!

1. Vladimir says:

This is great. Keep up the good work.

2. SR says:

I would like to see

1. WinDbg Videos

2. Win32 Multithreading Videos

3. Visual C++ Videos

4.  Windows Internals Videos.

3. Somasegar says:

Hi SR,

We will be putting up some Visual C++ how-do-I videos in the next several weeks.

We will continue looking at how we can expand this to cover other technologies.

-somasegar

4. Anjanesh says:

True – most of these video are web-development oriented.

Would love to view native Win32 and VC++ video.

5. Good and usefull collection.

Would you please compile the same type of list for Windows App(WinForms) development also..

Mahesh

6. SR says:

Thanks Soma for your response.

The reason i am requesting is lots of hardcore projects(atleast from our company point of view) haven’t moved to .NET yet. Still there are lots of challenges involved in native code development which are not quite often talked on MSDN blogs:)

I have seen companies putting job ads like "Candidates should dislike .NET and must be comfortable with native Win32 programming, debugging etc" 🙂

7. Somasegar says:

Yes – there are a lot of developers who are native win32 developers and we absolutely want to provide information in the how-do-I format for them as well.  Stay tuned for this in the next couple of weeks.

-somasegar

8. Kiran says:

Hi Soma,

Great set of resources put together in one place, Could you please compile a similar post with different Hands-on-labs available?

-Kiran

9. Recently, I blogged about the “How Do I” set of videos that we have for different technologies to provide

10. Recently, I blogged about the “How Do I” set of videos that we have for different technologies to provide

11. Sandcastle says:

Scott Guthrie recently provided a demo on what excites him most about Visual Studio 2008 (code named