Listening to your feedback – Expression and MSDN

When we announced Expression Studio last December, we saw great excitement from both the design and development community – excitement that is clearly reflected in the hundreds of thousands of CTP and trial downloads we’ve already seen.  Following the announcement we received a lot of questions about why we did not include some of these products, particularly Expression Web, within customers’ MSDN subscriptions.

In hearing this feedback, my team started looking into the matter in more detail and we talked to customers about how they are planning to use these products.  One common theme emerged, and that is developers could better collaborate with designers if they had some experience with the new tools the designers are using.  Even if you might not be using the Expression tools primarily, having a wider understanding of how they work and the information they produce will ensure greater communication and quality between design and development.

Based on this feedback, I am pleased to say that we will be making Expression Web available starting today to all MSDN Premium subscribers.  We will also make Expression Blend available to MSDN Premium subscribers shortly after the Expression Studio release later in Q2 2007.   Expression Blend and Expression Web are intended to help creative professionals collaborate with developers to create rich user experiences for the Web, Windows Vista applications and beyond, which means we need to make sure both tools are readily available to our developer community.

The decision extends to all MSDN Premium subscribers, including those with Visual Studio Professional and Visual Studio Team Edition’s.  For customers that have premium subscriptions to Visual Studio Team Suite, we will be making the entire Expression Studio available to them.

You may be asking, what about Expression Design and Expression Media?  Expression Blend and Expression Web are both designed to help creative professionals and developers work together to create rich user experiences for the Web, Windows Vista applications and beyond.  As Expression Design and Expression Media are not directly intended for application development, we feel they fall outside the current scope of MSDN Subscriptions.  We will be watching usage and collecting feedback of these expression products to help make further decisions in the future.

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to provide feedback to my team, and helping us drive to this decision.  Listening to our community is one of the key drivers for my team, and I assure you that every voice can make a difference.

Namaste!

1. They listen to the feedback! (WooHoo!) Expression Web will be available to MSDN Premium subscribers!

2. This is GREAT new!

Thanks Soma, keep listening our feedbacks!

3. As of early this morning, the Expression team has announced that Microsoft Expression Web and Blend will

4. And who says Microsoft doesn’t listen. Somasegar just announced on his blog that Expression Web…

5. And who says Microsoft doesn’t listen. Somasegar just announced on his blog that Expression Web…

6. In case you haven’t already heard it from elsewhere we have decided to include Expression Blend and Expression

7. msdn Austria says:

Heute hat das Expression Team bekannt gegeben, dass Expression Web und Expression Blend (sobald released)

8. I just provided some behind-the-scenes commentary over on my blog regarding Somasegar’s announcement

9. Soma Segar announced earlier today that the Web and Blend tools from the Microsoft Expression Suite are

10. From Soma’s blog: Listening to your feedback – Expression and MSDN

11. Last year, Microsoft announced their new Expression suite of designer tools. Included in the suite are

12. Last December Microsoft announced the new Expression Studio products. These products enable designers

13. It seemed very irrational to me that Microsoft would take any steps to alienate their core developer

14. It seemed very irrational to me that Microsoft would take any steps to alienate their core developer

15. Poi non diteMicrosoft non viascolta Fonte : Listening to your feedback – Expression and MSDN

16. Last December Microsoft announced the new Expression Studio products. These products enable designers

17. gduncan411 says:

NICE!

Thank you. It really bugged me as a MSDN subscriber that the Expression tools were not available to me… And having spent what I do on my Subscription I could not justify to my boss additional costs for the Expression tools…

I’m very glad you  (Microsoft) listened and took action.

18. ASP.NET says:

19. J says:

Will the software also be available on MSDNAA?

20. From Somasegar’s WebLog: Listening to your feedback – Expression and MSDN "I am pleased to say that we

21. Listening to your feedback – Expression and MSDN When Expression Studio was announced last December, there…

22. Steven Smith says:

Initially it seemed that the Expression suite of products would not be included in the MSDN subscription,

23. Kam VedBrat says:

Soma (our VP) announced this morning that by popular demand, Expression Blend and Expression Web will

24. Wictor Wilen says:

Microsoft has decided to make the Expression Blend and Expression Web products available for all MSDN Premium subscribers. This is great news for all developers, and a great enhancement to the MSDN su…

25. Peter Ritchie says:

Wow, that decision is going over well!

26. Michael Leworthy says:

Yes, we are including all expression products in MSDNAA

27. Vandaag kreeg ik de 16e editie van Microsoft .NET Magazine in de bus. Naast de vele artikelen die ik…

28. expression tools available to msdn subscribers

29. Kevin Daly says:

Excellent news this morning from Somasegar. Thanks to the Microsoft Expression blog for the heads up….

30. A Stonerock says:

I don’t know many folks that do web development that don’t have an occasional need to edit images with transparency / work with layers etc.  Right now Microsoft’s tool for this is Expression Design, so it needs to be part of MSDN subscription.

I came home from PDC05 excited about the demo I saw of Expression Design (Acrylic at the time).  Why feature it at PDC if it is not for developers?

Using the same logic: Why is office included w/ MSDN?

31. Bob's Blog says:

Based on community feedback, we are pleased to announce that we will be making Expression Web available

32. Joe Brinkman says:

I am glad to see that Microsoft listened.  I always thought it odd that Microsoft felt that developers were never relegated to the designer role, since in my experience, a lot of projects never seem to have a budget for separate design staff.  Heck, if anything devs need BETTER design tools just to overcome our inherent lack of skills in this area.

33. You may recall the furor ([1], [2]) over Microsoft’s decision not to make the new Expression family of design tools available to members of the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) based on the not always obvious distinction between “designe..

34. Woot! Soma just announced a great change for those of us who try to straddle the developer / designer

35. More in the "listening to your feedback" category. Some great news on the new Expression products. Link

36. Expression Web is available starting today to all MSDN Premium subscribers. Expression Blend will also

37. SBC says:

this one is a home run (‘baseball’) or a ‘sixer’ (cricket)..

two more like these would give you a ‘hat trick’.. (cricket)..

🙂

thanks,

SBC

38. One of the cool tools we had a chance to use while up at the WPF Bootcamp in Redmond was Expression Blend

39. A lot of things happening in the .NET world these days. While going through my unread RSS Feeds I summarize

40. Thats perfect. I was just debating with myself if i should really go and purchase Expression Web.

Thanks a ton.

-Sashidhar Kokku

41. Gill Cleeren says:

Great news!

On the other hand… another app I have to find time for… 😉

42. It’s great news this morning that Soma Somasegar and Forest Key have announced that Expression Blend

43. Jan Ilacqua says:

Thank you so much for making this available on MSDN.   We really appreciate your listening to us.

Please convey my sincere appreciation to all those at MSDN who worked to make this possible. 🙂

Jan 🙂

44. Dnes bylo konečně oficiálně oznámeno , že nové Expression nástroje Microsoftu budou součástí MSDN, i

45. Yuval Rakavy says:

Hi!

First, I think you have made the right decision. As a MSDN subscriber for over 10 years, I was puzzled by the original decision. But I see that common sense prevails…

I believe that Expression Design should also be included. In many small groups or during prepartion of proof of concept, a developer may need to produce graphics (Icons, bitmaps etc.). At least for myself, I am a developer, and I found myself using Acrylic (the code name of Expression Desig) more than once. I do use Paint.NET and Adobe phoneshop Elements.

Again, I am not a graphics designer, I am a developer, however from time to time I do need to assemble some pixels into a shape…

I think that the based on logic that governs MSDN premier subscription of including all the tools a developer needs, Expression Design should be included as well.

Best regards,

Yuval

46. DonBurnett says:

I maybe out of the norm, but I think if Microsoft developers have to pay for a studio package like Adobe’s Studio, they should also have to buy Expression Studio separately as well.  I am probably out of the norm with this, but developers and designers are usually very different animals, though not always.

47. Simon says:

Thank you for  listening to the community.  I hope those subscribers and partners out there will now get behind the Expression toolset and push the uptake of rich, dynamic user experiences built on the WPF using Blend & Visual Studio.

48. Soma made the announcement today "I am pleased to say that we will be making Expression Web available

49. Expression Products Added to MSDN(ScottGu’s Blog)より 来ましたよ!!来ましたよ!!Expressionプロダクトが MSDN Premium に追加です!!

50. Soma has announced this morning that Expression Web and Expr ession Blend will be made available to MSDN

51. Expression Web ed Expression Blend saranno inseriti in MSDN Premium. Da subito è disponibile Expression

52. 大ニュース ExpressionがMSDN Premiumに提供

53. 大ニュース ExpressionがMSDN Premiumに提供

54. Awesome news, finally I can lay my hands on Expression Studio. Phew, nearly wanted to buy the software

55. JB says:

*****

Seriously, you all need to think about opening those tools up to the MSDN pro subscriptions as well.  I can’t see how you all think you’re going to sell those web tools to mid size businesses without that extra help.  I have an msdn pro subscription, not premium, and I’ll keep my designers in Dreamweaver until we’ve had enough time to test these products.  And to tell you the truth I missed the whole 30 days of trying it out, I’m a busy guy 😉  I definitely need more time.  We’re talking about a big change here.  And please, Dreamweaver sucks for .net development, you all definitely do it way better. Thanks for listening and I definitely applaud throwing the design tools into MSDN subscriptions.  Its win win for both of us.

*****

56. Eric Golpe says:

Thanks you guys! This is excellent news and a great catalyst for MS Dev’s! Way to go! 🙂

57. C’est officiellement annoncé sur le blog de Soma Somasegar. Les abonnés MSDN – vous chers clients et

58. Apolon says:

Thats great news and thanks!

But…. (there’s always a but)

Expression Design should also be included in my opinion. This is not to say a developer will be using Expression Design for any significant period of time. Being a small developer shop, we don’t have any designers in house. We have to use external designer resources to get any decent graphic design work done. 90+% of designers use Adobe products e.g. photoshop and illustrator. This pushes us to Adobe products for the minor inhouse graphic design work.

We want to be able to farm out work to a designer, but if any minor modifications are needed then just get the developer to make the change inhouse. So really we want to have a graphic design package available for these small occasional changes rather than have to make the round trip to an external designer.

As it stands there is absolutely no incentive for us to convince the external design shop to use the Expression Design package. This keeps the status quo which is the Adobe dominance of that product segment.

If you included Expression Design in the MSDN mix, then:

a) you don’t lose any sales because any development house with small design needs would have gone with an Adobe product because of their market dominance in that area.

b) you provide some incentive for developer companies/departments to influence designers to use Expression Design.

Regards,

Apolon

59. Manoj says:

Thanks Soma for listening to the hearts of the developers. And we also hope you’ll listen to what Apolon has said, which in most cases, deem to be true.

Way to go! Keep it up.

And at the meantime…. guys, have fun with Expression Blend and Web!

60. barlog says:

Somasegar’s WebLog : Listening to your feedback – Expression and MSDN Listening …

61. I’m surprised I haven’t seen this news everywhere. I first saw it on Cory Smith’s blog , then I see Steve

62. For all those who asking about how goes licensing of Microsoft Expression Suite, the answer is, that

63. Howard says:

Thank you !! Microsoft proves once again my decision to go the MS route was the right one.

64. Howard says:

65. Rickard Olsson says:

All comments express the same surprise, Somasegar has ears!!

Was he pushed by Kevin Turner or has a revolution taken place in Redmond??

There are still 12259 unsatisfied custromers at http://www.classicvb.org/petition/ which is 60 new signatures the last two weeks. When will he listen to them?

Customers are not willing throwing away millions of dollars in investments, is there anyone who could explain this to Mr S.!

66. Rickard Olsson says:

All comments express the same surprise, Somasegar has ears!!

Was he pushed by Kevin Turner or has a revolution taken place in Redmond??

67. Godt at se at vores venner i Redmond har valgt at ændre standpunkt, efter at mange bloggere har været

68. El Bruno says:

Buenas por un lado, algunos compañeros de Holanda, por otro Euge , y otras fuentes más ( blogs MSDN )

69. El Bruno says:

70. April 3 Somasegar’s Weblog announced: Based on this feedback, I am pleased to say that we will be making

71. Via Somasegar’s blog: I am going to check whether this applies to partners (Gold and Certs get MSDN Universal)

72. RSS It All says:

Via Somasegar's blog : I am going to check whether this applies to partners (Gold and Certs get MSDN

73. This is great news from Soma’s blog. Now Expression Web and Blend (soon) will be available to MSDN Premium

74. Hallgatva a népek (Magyarországról hiányolta valaki? :)) kérésére, az MSDN részévé lett a fent említett

75. Produkty z rodziny Expression stały się ostatnio bardzo popularnymi narzędziami wśród programistów tworzących

76. De eerste announcement van de Microsoft Expression Suite (je weet wel, die toolset waarmee designers…

77. So all of the feedback from all you dev’s about wanting these tools included in your MSDN Premium Subscription

78. The Enterprise Performance Tools Team Blog on Introducing new Visual Studio Profiler Features in the…

79. Scott S. says:

Thank you for adding Expression Web and Blend to MSDN.  I agree with other comments that Design should be included.

We have a small company with no design staff.  We are already MSDN Premium subscribers.  Most of our projects are "one man show" type of things where the developer does ALL the work including graphic design.

In the past we have used Macromedia (now Adobe) tools.  If we have to choose between buying Microsoft’s design tools or Adobe’s, we will buy from Adobe since they are familiar and the rest of the world uses them.  If Expression Design were offered with MSDN, we wouldn’t buy from Adobe and we would just use the Microsoft tools that were available on MSDN.

I understand that this wouldn’t put any more money in Microsoft’s pocket directly but it would probably convert a bunch of small dev shops into using Microsoft design tools exclusively.

80. Microsoft has its own ways to amuse people with there new products. Almost every year Microsoft invites

81. Kelly White says:

If you haven't already heard , both Expression Web and Blend will be including in your MSDN subscription

82. Expression Web and Blend will be available to all MSDN premium subscribers. yooohooo …. More power

83. Oneda says:

Somasegar, vice-presidente da divisão de desenvolvimento da Microsoft, anunciou em seu blog que

84. A common question I receive when discussing the Expression products is whether there are plans for availability

85. Bruce says:

I have been using the Blend beta for my most recent application.  I find it is much better than using Visual Studio for making WPF interfaces.  Including it in the MSDN subscription has just made my life easier.

Please include Expression Design also.  I have been drawing in this tool and moving them over to my application.

86. Rob Caron says:

As you’ve probably seen around the media, Expression will ship in certain MSDN subscriptions. Microsoft

87. Michael O'Neill, VB Product Manager says:

I noted Rickard’s earlier comment about VB6 support.

For clarification, we are very sensitive to the fact that our customers have major investments in Visual Basic 6.0 applications, and we have listened. That is why we have shipped the Visual Basic 6.0 runtime with Windows Vista, meaning that Visual Basic 6.0 applications will be supported for free until 2012, and will remain under extended support until 2017.

You can find more information at http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vbasic/ms788708.aspx.

88. Microsoft announced today that Expression Web is now available for download for MSDN Premium subscribers.

89. Just saw this … it made me smile. Expression Tools Being Added to MSDN We will be making Expression

90. Dave Bost says:

As I stated on my last post , a lot of newsworthy items have taken place while I was basking in the sun

91. I’m very happy to tell everyone that Expression Web is now available to MSDN premium subscribers. Expression

92. Soma made the announcement today "I am pleased to say that we will be making Expression Web available

93. Somasegar’s WebLog : Listening to your feedback – Expression and MSDN 이미 많은 분들이 아시다시피 MSDN Premium Subscription에

94. Clarification to Michael O’Neill: Most of Micrsoft’s divisions are humble and listen to their customers, I know, that is why I still am a lojal MS customer: Office, Operating Systems are good examples. The VB-petition is not just about protect running investments, it also very clear about migration of applications and peoples knowledge into the new and better technolgy to a reasonable cost.

Today 12264, still growing with 5-10 persons a day, without any focus in media or anywhere. If I were Mr. S. I would have been very concerned.

95. Last December Microsoft announced the new Expression Studio products. These products enable designers

96. Expression Web and Blend have been added to MSDN Premium. Check out Scott Guthrie’s post about it. The

97. dalepres says:

Your statement about the Visual Studio Team Suite is a  little confusing because it is followed shortly by a statement that some parts of the Expression Suite will not be available.  Are Expression Design and Expression Studio going to to to VSTS customers or not?

Thanks,

Dale

98. We listen really hard to our community and when this subject came up loud we responded. If you head over

99. Mark Aurit says:

This is great news, and Im looking forward to using it.  There is a slight little problem, though, in that your comment  " … making it available today" appears not to be quite true.  Ive been looking in my subscriptions on 4/5 and 4/6 and its not there, and the concierge is saying sometime in the future with no ecd.

Perhaps you mean you’ve made the decision to offer it to subscribers and it will be available in the near future?

100. Somasegar says:

Hi Mark,

It is available on msdn and we have had thousands of downloads thus far.

Can you send mail to Ian on the team (ipeacock@microsoft.com) with your details so that we can follow up on this?

-somasegar

101. Gracias a los aportes de la comunidad Microsoft a decidido incluir Expression Web y Expression Blend

102. We have a voice…Microsoft listens! The decision extends to all MSDN Premium subscribers, including

103. Processos e Agile Ivar Jacobson publicou um artigo com sérias críticas aos processos que dominam o desenvolvimento

104. Falo bastante aqui sobre WPF e "WPF/E" e um pouco sobre a ferramenta que será bastente utilizada que

105. Great news last week for those of you in the web development space, thanks to the great feedback from

106. Martin Parry says:

I took a week off last week, and in my absence, look what they did – Expression Blend and Expression…

107. Avi says:

Good! I’m really satisfied! Now, how about the Team Server Suite?

My team leader once taught me that the job of a manager is to be an enabler – remove all the obstacles so that the team members can be productive.

I think MS should position itself similarly in relation to developers.

You know KISS? Your mission statement should be crystal clear: When you, Mr. Developer, commit to us – we commit to you. We open our stores wide open and give you everything you think you need for development – No limits: Designer tools, team suites, even flight simulators for you to relax and money to do your expense reports.

One licence to bind them all!

108. La nouvelle est tombée la semaine dernière mais j’ai pensé que ça valait tout de même la peine d’être

109. Holy cow! A lot of people read this blog; it took me some time to get to the bottom. 🙂

Great news!

Thanks

110. Yes it is true! If you have MSDN Premium with Team Suite, you get everything in Expression Studio. If

111. For those of you that attended my talk in Salt Lake City – here’s the links I referred to in my talk…

112. Alright, I realize that nobody will read this but I’m quite annoyed and need to spout again. In my ever

113. So the WPF/E moniker is gone and Silverlight is unveiled . Microsoft will be launching a new Silverlight

114. So the WPF/E moniker is gone and Silverlight is unveiled. Microsoft will be launching a new…

115. Brian Maurice-Snider says:

Apologies if it’s already been said –

But Microsoft is leaving a PILE of money on the table by limiting ANY creative tools to Windows.  I type this on my company’s 4×2.5 Ghz PowerMac at 12:11 in the morning in preparation for another night of pain that is the Flash IDE… Believe me, we are begging for alternatives.  If nothing else, hopefully your product will encourage Adobe to get their act together and improve their apps.  (doubt it)

If you are going to pull the trigger – for God’s sake, do it with Cocoa – there IS a difference

116. Greg Pasquariello says:

As a professional developer, I applaud your move to make Expression Web part of MSDN.  But I work with designers all day long, and it’s crucial that I have a product with Design-like capabilities.  Even though I’m not doing the majority of design myself, I often need to work with their files, so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make Design available in MSDN too!

117. 5mwwe3u2td says:

6k77q91bg6ihjb8n <a href = http://www.798997.com/130415.html > c52s1lthyzac1yl2u </a> [URL=http://www.1024946.com/533668.html] 0kxwghb2scxwgw [/URL] dxsa7ph3o4bhrjj

118. 5mwwe3u2td says:

6k77q91bg6ihjb8n [URL=http://www.1024946.com/533668.html] 0kxwghb2scxwgw [/URL] dxsa7ph3o4bhrjj

119. If you’re an MSDN subscriber, you might be wondering what parts you can get hold of without purchase

120. As a result of attending a number of MSDN Road show sessions in the last few months, I am very aware

121.         LOAN OFFER

I AM A MONEY LENDER OFFERING OUT LOANS WITH INTEREST RATE OF 5%. MY OFFER IS GUARANTEED AND ALSO VERY FAST AND EASY.

DO YOU WANT TO BE FINANCIALLY EQUIPPED?

DO YOU WANT A LOAN TO START UP YOUR OWN BUSINESS?

HAVE YOU BEEN LOOKING FOR A LEGITIMATE LOAN LENDER?

DO YOU WANT TO PAY OFF YOU DEBT?

THEN THIS IS AN OPPORTUNITY I THINK YOU WOULDN’T WANT TO MISS. FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME BOTH BUSINESS FIRMS AND INDIVIDUALS FOR A LOAN THAT DOES COME THROUGH. HAVE A NICE DAY.

Cotact,Via E-mail(morrislender02@yahoo.com)

WARM REGARDS,

MR.  MORRIS MORGAN.

122. Microsoft Expression Studio shipped and is now available for purchase. Between Expression Design and

123. Microsoft Expression Studio shipped and is now available for purchase. Between Expression Design and

124. Expression Web og Blend i MSDN Premium

125. There’s been a lot of talk going on in the Microsoft community ( here , here , here , and here ) lately

126. Good Little Developer, do what you are told

127. Visual Studio with MSDN Premium or any Team role (Team Architect, Team Database, Team Developer, Team

128. The Official Microsoft Expression website contains great information on the Expression studio products

129. I am having a problem trying to find the sample files, that are mentioned in the Expression Blend Self Study Tutorial (Expression Design End-To-End Exercise, page 57 and 73) : <labroot>LabsAssetsFabrikam_Logo.design and <labroot>VideoPlayer_AssetsPlaylist.xml etc.?  They are not there in the files that I downloaded, where are they? Help

130. edddy says:

+1 to add Expression Design too.

I’m a developer, but sometimes I need to do some basic designs, cropping, etc.

Expression Design will be great to have all similar technologies for doing our work

131. Rolf Bremer says:

We are a small ISV, and 80% of our artwork in projects is done by the developer team. Only 30% is done by dedicated designers. We also train developers and designers in tools and process management, so we need access to all this excellent tools. Count us up for voting for adding Expression Design to the MSDN subscriptions.

Best wishes

Rolf

132. Redwerb says:

Expression Now Available With MSDN

133. Randy Holt says:

I would like to restate this comment:

Can we find these files anywhere???????

134. Andrej Grobler says:

I had the same problem, for the moment I am cheating a bit – I’ve opened  VideoPlayer_Final.design  from  …4 – Intro to Expression BlendVideoPlayer_Assets and just doing copy & paste into my project. If anyone knows a better solution please let us know!

135. Originally when these products were announced, they were not going to be included in MSDN and they were

136. Debbie Dunlap says:

I’m working the Expression Blend End-to-End Exercise to familiarize myself with this program.  When I got to page 57 and was asked to open sample file Fabrikam_Logo.design in the Assets folder, it’s not there!

MAJOR Frustration!!  Where can I find this missing file, and will there be other files missing further down the process?!?

137. EXPRESSION BLEND TUTORIAL ISSUES

Thank you so much for being in touch with us and letting us know about some typos you’ve found in the Expression Blend Self Study Tutorial.

We have reviewed the two reported issues. We have a solution for you at http://ux.artu.tv/?page_id=43

138. Woot! Soma just announced a great change for those of us who try to straddle the developer / designer disciplines. …Based on this feedback, I am pleased to say that we will be making Expression Web available starting today to all MSDN Premium subscribers.

139. Lexapro. says:

Lexapro side effects. Lexapro.

140. Rooty Tootorials says:

For any one looking for the VideoPlayer_Asset files from the Expression Blend tutorials (as Clifford Darrett was above) then try http://wpfkorea.com/?mid=Downloads&page=1&document_srl=893&listStyle=&cpage=

I know it’s all in Korean but the link is in english (which is about the only thing that is so you can’t miss it.)

141. [This blog was migrated. You will not be able to comment here. The new URL of this post is http://khason

142. dumdum u gimme gumgum says: