My recent conversation w/channel 9

Recently, I had an opportunity to talk to Charles Torre from the channel 9 team.  As always, it was fun.  The fact that it is unscripted and not knowing what Charles is going to ask you makes it all the more fun.  We ended up talking on a broad set of topics including some about my career at Microsoft and some of the work that is currently underway in the division.

You can watch this conversation here.

1. loc says:

7 years, huh? I wonder if you can still write a function that sorts an array of integers. :-]

What lies beyond Orcas (LINQ, multicore, etc.)? Can you imagine VS11? VS14?

Hey, this conversation really gave me some answers I was looking for.

2. Somasegar says:

Hi Loc,

Sometimes it does feel that way :).  I was talking more about production level code.  I still occasionally write code just for fun.  For example, several months ago I was writing some code using VSTO to do some Outlook add-ins for me to automatically send some greetings message on certain events for certain people.  That was a fun exercise.

Sometime next year, once we ship a Beta for Orcas we will start planning for beyond Orcas.

3. Tyler Jensen says:

Hi Soma,

I was nice to meet you via video. I really like what channel 9 is doing. Getting to know the Microsoft people a little better is always very helpful. I sounds like you came into the tools VP job around the time of the revolution we’ve seen in VS. While I’m sure the team had a lot to do with it, big kudos go to you for you leadership. I really love what you’ve done with Visual Studio.

Keep up the good work.

4. Somasegar says:

Thanks Tyler for the kind words.

– somasegar

5. Sekhar says:

I have watched your previous channel 9 videos. Your are very articulate and put across your points succinctly. I am yet to watch your new video, will do it pretty soon. I am sure they will be as informative and educative as the previous ones.

You are doing a great job.

Good Luck and Best Wishes

Sekhar Sirigiri

6. Somasegar says:

Thanks Sekhar for the best wishes.

7. Ranjan says:

Hi Soma,

Though your talk was unscripted and unrehearsed, nevertheless, I personally found it very informative. Especially the advantage that Orcas would provide on Vista.

Look forward to your next interview on channel 9.

Best Wishes!

Ranjan Baruah

8. Somasegar says:

Thanks Ranjan.  Recently I have also been writing a few blogs that are aimed at highlighting some of the developer focused features in Vista.  Orcas will move the dial in terms of providing tooling support for some of the latest and greater developer features in Vista.