VS2005 November CTP (Standard Edition) now available!

The Visual Studio 2005 November CTP (Community Technology Preview) drop is now available on MSDN.  This is actually the FIRST CTP of the Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition (which I announced at VSLive! In Orlando back in September to round out the family of VS2005 products.  This contains support for all of the languages that we support in Visual Studio and also support for device development along with an updated release of Visual SourceSafe.  This can be downloaded off MSDN (MSDN VS2005 Whidbey “Home” page) by our MSDN customers.

Give this a try and let us know your feedback via the MSDN Feedback Center.

1. David Taylor says:

I just tried installing in using Virtual Server 2005 on a clean XP Pro image, and then a SBS 2003 image. In both cases the installer crashed half way through.

Nasty so far.

I will try again on my home PC using the original version I downloaded (the version I installed has been copied between IDE hard drives) just incase the files got corrupted. I will let you know the result.

2. Ian says:

I’m eagerly awaiting Beta 2 so I can deploy a VSTO 2005 solution to a pilot group. In Beta 1 the redistributable is not yet included, will it be in the December CTP?

3. David Taylor says:

Ok…I just finished my second attempt on another XP Pro Virtual Machine image at home…and same problem (still giving an error half way through the install).

Forgive me if I dont try on a real physical machine!

The only thing I can think of is the download might be corrupted – but at 2.5 GB I am not downloading it again.

So goodnight from me….I will be waiting until the next CTP build now 🙁

4. S. Somasegar says:

Hi David,

Can you send me mail so that I can have somebody from the team follow up with you and see what the problem was. You can mail me at somase@microsoft.com.

– somasegar

5. Eric Nichols says:

Installed without a hitch on my clean install of XPSP2 on a laptop last night. UI wise I liked the new installer, and it seems a little snappier than the previous releases, though I havent taken it through much yet.

6. David Taylor says:

Ok – I feel a little silly now.

I finally decided to check on MSDN downloads and noticed a note "not to change any default installation options or it will fail", which I had done.

Of course, after it failed the first time, I started unchecking more and more just trying to get a minimal install working. Now that I have allowed even C++ to be installed, everything worked correctly.

My only comment now would be the MSDN note should be in a red font!.

Thanks for what will soon be a great product,

David Taylor

7. S. Somasegar says:

Hi Ian,

The next CTP drop WILL contain the VSTO 2005 redist for you to be able to deploy your solution.

– somasegar

8. S. Somasegar says:

Glad to hear you were able to get through the install. Good feedback on making the MSDN note more discoverable.

– somasegar

9. graemef.com says:

I’ve installed the <a href="http://blogs.msdn.com/somasegar/archive/2004/12/13/284382.aspx"&gt;
    November CTP of Visual Studio .NET 2005 Standard Editon</a>, and here are my initial
    thoughts (so far I’ve been upgrading a Beta

10. Hi,

maybe it is already somewhere documented, but the "io.h" C-Header File is missing. Otherwise my C++ project compiles and runs just fine…

11. One more comment though…

After installation of VS the MSDN installation fails on the .Net Framework prerequisits, RegMon reveals it is looking for HKLM/Microsoft/Net Framework Setup/NDP/v2.0.41119 key, but the version installed is already v42.0.41202, after renaming the key setup works…

12. MSDN install worked OK for me…

13. Daniel Moth says:

Installation worked fine (eventually) but there are some issues with Smart Device Projects (CF) as described on my relevant blog entry.

14. Daniel Moth says: