VB – yesterday, today and tomorrow!

A couple of weeks ago, I was doing a couple of on-line chat sessions with our worldwide MVPs.  This was the first time I was doing one of these sessions and going in I wasn’t sure how effective or productive such sessions would be.  It was incredible to see the level of participation and questions that kept flowing in non-stop for the 2 hours that I did this.  Clearly, there is a lot of enthusiasm for people to have a 2-way dialog with us that I really enjoyed and appreciate.  I am actually waiting for when I get my next opportunity to do one of these sessions.

A couple of the people in that session had some questions for me around our commitment to VB in the .NET world.  I was a little surprised by these questions.  That made me think more and I wanted to share with you my thoughts on this.

When I’m with VB developers, I hear things like “all the samples are in C#”, and when I’m with C# developers, I hear “VB At the Movies, the VB Power Pack – what about us?” I guess we must be doing something right J.

Getting back to the question though, let me talk about how serious we are about Visual Basic – we’re 120% committed to the language and the product not just today but for a long, long, long time to come, as we have been in the last decade now.  I know that when we moved from VB6 to VB.NET, we broke compatibility and that is a sore point with some of our developer customers.  It was a huge decision that we did not take lightly at that time.  The trade-off clearly was making a leapfrog jump in innovation as we moved to the .NET platform versus ensuring full compatibility.  We are bringing back some of the features that our VB developers have come to love like Edit and Continue in Visual Studio 2005.  Nevertheless, I do understand that people need to go through a migration process to make the jump from VB6 to VB.Net.  We have provided a variety of things including migration wizards, prescriptive guidance, etc. to make the migration simpler and will continue doing more here.

Today, we have well over 100 people in my division devoted to Visual Basic (program management, dev, test, user education, support). VB, by using the .NET framework, gets great performance, and we have a number of customer success stories including Seattle Avionics, Stampin’ Up!, Analog Devices (ADI), Ontario Air Ambulance, Delaware Department of Education, Partnership for Strong Families and many more.  We know you’ve noticed because we’ve seen a substantial increase in the number of you using Visual Basic .NET over the last year.

I think that some of the questioning comes because many Microsoft employees with blogs show code in C#, and the framework, as originally shipped, was largely written in C#. Well – we’ve said all along that you get to make the language choice for targeting the .NET platform – if you are a VB developer, VB.NET is absolutely a great choice.  Here at Microsoft, we do the same thing. While many of our product developers are C++ developers and now code in C++ and C#, our internal systems have typically been written in VB6, and now are being written in VB.NET. In fact, some of our core applications which are used to manage our personnel, office space and annual performance reviews, are Windows Forms applications written in Visual Basic on the .NET platform.

But it goes further than that. In Visual Studio 2005, we’re using VB for some of the framework classes, and there are portions of the VS IDE written in VB. Bet you can’t guess which ones from the beta J. You see, we really do mean it when we suggest you pick the language that you’re most comfortable with – that’s what we’ve done internally and VB is absolutely a core part of our bet and strategy.

For another take on this issue, check out Paul Vick’s blog article: The “Native” .NET Language?

Namaste!

1. drebin says:

You know why this is so sad and frustrating to hear?

I consider myself an open-minded developer and feel comfortable writing in several languages. I am SURROUNDED by developers at work who would continue using VB3 if our manager would let them. You know the kind, the "if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it" kind of people. Mind you, people that work in I.T. thinking like that – which just boggles my mind.. In a career where things change every 6 months.. they hate change!!

Can you imagine in the year 2004, a duh-veloper setting up a BRAND NEW file download with a vendor using a flat-file format (as in, fixed width or delimited? When both sides are VB6? No XML.. In fact, I got one guy who goes on and on about how XML is a fad and that the tried-and-true mainframe formats "just work".. yeah, after you write a "write-once-use-once" parser for this PARTICULAR download. ugh.

Anyhow, I pushed hard with my manager to adopt C#. Here are some points:

PROS:

– If developers are thrown into something new, it will force them to learn the "right" way to do things – no falling into old habits.

– C# has very few "assumptions", you have to spell everything out (curly braces, semi-colons, array bounds, etc)

– There seems to be a LOT more help and samples in C# (both with MS and on Usenet)

CONS:

– All the opposites of the above obviously.

– There will be a learning curve (but there will ALREADY be a learning curve because VB.NET is different enough from VB6)

So – alas, he didn’t buy it. So now we have "point ‘n click" developers (you know the kind, that started from excel formulas, then wrote a department Access database and are now VB developers) that are doing the same bad coding, because VB.NET lets them get away with it.

In general, I have always been really turned off by VB because A) it was so loosely typed (use of variants – EVERYWHERE!!) and B) because of assumptions..

For example – right now, off the top of your head.. when you declare an array in VB6, is it 1-based or 0-based? What about an enum, if you don’t declare it?? Not sure? Neither am I – and I spent several hours debugging an app one day because I thought one thing (I assumed) and the program was doing something different.. (one or both of those used to be/is 1-based… I hope I’m thinking of the right thing?)

Point is, "assumptions are the root of most all software bugs" is what I always say. And with C# – there is just no assuming anything. Yes, you have have to type a little bit more – but it’s for the greater good. It’s for the good of the developer that will be modifying your code 2 years from now.

(sigh) This post made me so sad.. I wish VB would just go away, technically, it just propagates laziness and shortcutting.. which for software development.. that just shouldn’t be tolerated.

But I know VB is here to stay, I think I’ve accepted it now. :-)

2. qwerty says:

To tell the truth, drebin, your post was sad and frustrating for me to hear. :-) I feel that people trash VB.net simply because VB6- was a 2nd class language. I agree that arrays in VB are a bit strange: dim foo(6) gives you a zero based array of length 7! But every language has its quirks, you just deal with them. Bad code can be written in any language.

VB.net gives you all the benifits of .net, like 1st class threading, a good event model, good exception model, and a great set of base classes.

My language of the heart is and probably always will be C++. But when I don’t need MC++’s power for easy IJW access to Win32 or direct access to the data, I choose VB.net.

Personally I don’t see any reason for c# to exist and am very happy that MS is not blindy pushing it.

3. drebin says:

Best quote I’ve seen today: "Bad code can be written in any language" – nice!! :-)

I agree, VB.NET is *MUCH* better than VB6, but there are many things I still don’t like. VB.NET is still very wordy (with if/end if, instead of curly braces, etc) and it doesn’t "encourage" a developer to become better, it encourages them to get away with as much as possible – so long as it still compiles.

I guess I have more of a problem with the "typical" VB developer – it’s almost a lifestyle choice or something.

And for people that don’t like C# – how can not LOVE the simplicity and clarity of semi-colons and curly braces!! There is just nothing to assume or explain – it’s just so clear (for me).. :-)

4. Kan says:

One word: Reflector

5. Pete King says:

Isnt that the point, that you choose the .Net language that is right for you, as they are of equal power?

Kind of makes VB.Net bashing pointless, dont you think?

6. King Dave says:

Well, curly braces don’t tell you what you are enclosing at first sight. If you are in the process of looking at someone else’s code, End If and End With makes for better readability.

7. Chris Haas says:

i agree with qwerty’s comments, VB.Net is being bashed because of its predecessor VB6. but i think the team did a great job of cleaning out the weird or stupid things that made VB developers write bad code. and with option strict/explicit its 100 times easier to find mistakes in code. my personal policy is to always have it on, i even use option explicit when i’m writing a quick VBS program. but these options aren’t required, of course, so people can still do non-obvious things.

of interesting note, while VB might be more verbose, which uses more lines of code? out of the box C# puts curly braces on their own lines adding an extra line per block. neither is bad, just unique to the language.

8. Will the circle be unbroken…

9. RichB says:

> portions of the VS IDE written in VB

None of the C# Express assemblies reference the VB runtime libraries – so I suspect C# Express doesn’t contain the portions written in VB.

What did surprise me was the vast number of assemblies that were managed. Many more than in VS.Net 2003.

10. ArildE says:

I’m not sure converting all VB developers to C# will make the world a better place to program. C# does not define how to program, how to naming variables and functions or how to split your code up layers, objects etc. I think the problem is not the VB.Net language itself, but the lack of "strict programming policy". drebin, I believe the best way to control programmers (and yes, I’m a VB programmer myself (v1.0->.Net) are to tell them that this is our coding standard (naming convention, not rules etc) and that you have to follow it!

11. drebin says:

ArildE,

That’s all well and good in an academic setting – but in the real world, if you’ve seen the truly horrible.. I mean REALLY bad code that I have.. you’d see there is not hope.

So for the bad VB developers (the "point-n-click developers" as they are called) – I was sort of hoping VB.NET would thin the herd. Maybe it would be too hard to learn, and then they would go do something else half-assed for a living.. but Microsoft made it too easy and they are migrating!!

Mgmt asked me and a coworker to come up with some standards and conventions.. we ran them by everyone and published it to the all the developers.. we got a bunch of "yes’s" – and to this day, no one follows it… It ends up coming across petty if you try to enforce it.

I realize that there will always be bad developers – but VB just makes it soo easy.. it’s a powerful language that almost encourages people to take shortcuts (which is good for MS, bad for companies).. like the Option Explicit/Strict thing.. In what other language do you not have to declare variables?!! Alright, there are a couple – but those are curly brace languages (so that makes it better somehow?).. Anyhow… :-)

12. ArildE says:

Oh yeah. I have seen truly horrible VB code many times (including some of my own “ancient” code) and I have also introduced code standards that no one (except me) would use. I have also heard about R&D department managers that talk big about their code standards and in the same sentence (almost proudly) mention that they don’t use it.

I can see your point in switching to C# (or any other language for that matter), but without any guidance on how to make good code, a bad developer will more or less stay bad. In the big picture, bad code is made because of ignorance and/or attitude. Since producing readable, maintainable and bug free code is actually a part of a company’s face to the world, it should be taken more seriously by both management and developers. Why make e.g. a coding standard if its usage is “optional”? To push things to extremes, it should be: “Use it or you’re fired!” (I don’t mean that programmers should be “dictated” how to program, but some basic rules should be mandatory)

13. Weevie says:

To be honest if you have ‘pont and click’ developers in your team I’d wonder about your companie’s recruitment policy. All the developers I work with are professional VB developers who have been involved in enterprise aplication writing for at least a couple of years.

As for curly braces…oh…when will people understand. I’ve seen a lot of ex-BCPL coders who transferred to C++ writing a hell of a lot of messy code. The good C++ code-monkeys write good code, the good VB code monkeys write good code, the bad of both brands write nausea-inducing code…The good workman does not give all the credit to his/her tools!

14. Weevie says:

Ooops type in ‘company’s’ I’m not illiterate you know! ;o>

15. Weevie says:

Ooops…again! :-O

16. Ex-VB guy says:

I am a VB programmer. I have fought the "My language is not inferior to yours" battle for a decade. Four words for you – "On Error Resume Next". VB.Net allows this and probably will for perpetuity. Constructs like this make it impossible for us to win this argument. Try getting away with a dynamic GOTO in C# without using unsafe code…

17. ArildE says:

Ex-VB guy (if you are a VB programmer, why is your name Ex-VB?) :),

If a bad VB programmer switch to C# and can’t find On Error Resume Next, are you so sure he will use Try-Catch instead? It’s not impossible to create a program without using a single line of structured error handling.

18. Mike Gale says:

I believe the world will (and should) go to a state where programming is like reading, writing and arithmetic. Everyone does it. There’s a spectrum of competence. Get over it. Live with it.

It really concerns me when I see language bashing and a desire to exclude programmers. VB.NET is good, C# is good, Java is good, J is good… I like to see people who read several languages.

All this obscures the point. MS is committed to VB.NET. That’s great. For those who use it, are comfortable with it (and are maybe learning to love it) there is less stress. The features in 2.0 look great, time saving, power bringing.

Now it’s time to hope for the features of X# (combine OO, XML and relational features in the basic type system) and the amazing power you get APL/J with defining your operators. (As long as we don’t let the nay sayers destroy human progress I’m hoping I see these things in both C# and VB.NET in my lifetime!)

19. drebin says:

Weevie,

It’s more complicated than that. Most people I used to work with were at the company for 20-30 years, most straight out of college. We’ve had FIVE rounds of layoffs and they got rid of all the expensive old-timers and kept only a couple competent/expensive developers.. the rest are there, just because it’s cheap and they manage to eek out SOME work.. and apperently, that’s good enough.

I understand this is a negative environment for me to be in, but I have a lot of other things going on – and I have a lot of freedom where I am – which is what I need right now. So right now, it’s a struggle for me to keep up with technology, but doing it in my free time, really..

20. Weevie says:

Anyway…

Good coders write good code and bad coders write bad code.

And I’m sorry anybody who thinks that the question of whther you have End… or } as a code block delimiter has way missed the point of good coding <sigh>

21. Weevie says:

(Damn I always think of things after I hit the submit! ;o>)

…and if Steve Connell is using VB examples in his new edition of Code Complete then that’s good enough for me! ;o>

22. We meet during Imagine Cup 2004 (French Judge). But as I said in my blog (http://blogs.developpeur.org/richardc/archive/2004/08/06/2229.aspx), all MS divisions didn’t have the same opinion, and show that C# IS the first AND only .NET language.

Take a look at DirectX 9.0c SDK, and you will know!!!!

I’m sorry but it’s reality !!!!

23. Bill Trowbridge says:

In order to get some of the duh-velopers to use standards, set up a complete automated build system and use FxCop (probably with some custom rules) to report any non-standard uses. In other words, move the whole organization to a more professional development environment where non-compliance is measureable.

24. RMartinon says:

Well … certainly seems like a hot topic.

I’m afraid I can’t relate with the people here who feel the need to degrade the chosen tools of others. I’ve seen successful projects both with VB and C#, and didn’t notice any big difference in efficiency (but the VB guys’ GUIs were somewhat better, due to legacy experience in that field ;p).

I’m also having trouble believing you could be proficient with the .NET framework and not be able to understand and code in both languages after some time. I guess every coder keeps a little better productivity in the language tree he comes from, but to me .NET learning curve is 20% langage and 80% framework anyway.

25. ROliva says:

You, who thinks VB is a old thing, seems to lost perspective. Think about Computing Science may be not a career in the future, since it’s becoming a must in every career. So, there must be a simple, familiar language to choose in .NET. If we have dialects in our real world, where we commit mistakes but the other part recognizes our idea, why computer languages must be so strict for everyone? I got a good time developing in c++ with gnu compiler for dos, and I accept c++ is more powerfull than VB, but it’s harder to learn and a lot less productive than VB.

I think VB.NET is the best choice for the most of the cases in the near future. C# is a good choice either.. but as I always say, my father learnt programming with Basic and it worked.

VB.NET is more democratic.. it lets you make mistakes! and learn from them!

26. IamLamb says:

Drebin, it seems that most of your issues are related moreso to the management of the development environment than the actual technology.

In my mind, there will always be the pro’s and con’s of any language, and people will always have preference for one over another. Some people prefer the verbosity of VB.NET over C#, some don’t. Who cares?

If standards are not adopted when introduced, that is not the fault of the language. That is the fault of the management and senior developers – those that influence the standards a developer follows (if any).

Now to continue the general rhetoric, the chosen language is irrelevant. Programming is about being smarter than syntax. Anyone can program, a fact that is becoming more and more evident. Anyone can sit at a desk and bash something hard enough until it works. But few people can actually program smartly. That has nothing to do with the language.

27. Alan Michas says:

I started using BASIC before the IBM PC was released in 1981 (since 1973 in fact) and it’s fantastic to see how far the language has progressed over the last 30 years. VB must surely be the language of choice for all applications development. Whenever anyone mentions C, C++, C# or any of it’s variants the arguments are always about elegant code, concise code etc. As an application developer I think that there is nothing more elegant than having blocks of code that are clearly and unambiguosly marked eg IF/END IF, FOR/NEXT, SELECT/END SELECT etc. I haven’t used a GOTO statement in my code since the late 70’s. How many C programmers can make that kind of statement. To the VB Team. Keep up the GREAT work you have been doing. Viva VB.NET

28. Alan Michas says:

29. Alan Michas says:

30. Student Dave says:

IamLamb i think hit the nail on the head

i look at C# samples, convert them into VB.net and they look so similar. ok you don;t have the curly braces, but it is doing the same thing. give or take a line. if a programmer puts the code into blocks and correct indents (which .net indents now for u) both languages are similar to understand

in the end the program is as good as the programmers behind it.

31. drebin says:

And that is the problem – this language ALLOWS people to continue being bad developers (versus frustrating them enough to switch careers like they should do!!)

I worked almost all day helping out a coworker (knows ONLY VB and some ASP) writing a whole app in VB.NET – he was using "line input" (versus System.IO.FileStream) and "goto’s" everywhere and just all the silly backwards-compatible stuff they let VB.NET get away with..

I guess just like after 9/11 – if you are harbouring terrorists – you’ll be treated like a terrorist.. since VB continues to let bad programmers write bad code – VB is just as much to blame!!!

32. KenLin says:

Opss~~~ another fire between C# and VB.NET

When I was in Global MVP Summit 2004, I heard the same question on the argue about C# and VB.NET which has mention by Somasegar early in this blog. It was the first time I heard about this topic. I am from Hong Kong and I don’t see any argue between C# and VB.NET. However, I do agree on one happening, almost all of the job requirement is C#, but not VB.NET in Hong Kong. I did explain to the employer or the interviewer that "We do .NET application the same with VB.NET or C#". But…..they still think that C# is much better than VB.NET. I feel bad on this.

33. Anthony D. Green says:

Some people just miss the point of .NET completely. It flies right over their heads. I overagree with some of the above. For me the VB.NET learning code was maybe 10% language and 90% .NET Framework.

I’m counting in the OOP concepts with that 10% or it would be like 5%.

Anyone who can’t translate 95% of a .NET app into their language of choice is not looking hard enough. I believe in the language neutrality of the .NET agenda so much I (A Hard-cord VB.NET Dev) signed up for a class on .NET Development entirely in C#.

A lot of the crap in these debates is people bringing their C++ vs VB baggage with them. I cannot easily speak about the former without using language inappropriate for such a forum. Curly Braces, SemiColons and case-sensitivity. Truely a language written for the anti-social. (my Name is anthony d. green, oh wait, it’s Anthony D. Green, or was it ANTHONY D. GREEN or was it my name or My NAME, after all, we all recognize how in all the languages on the planet a word has 2 distinct and separate meanings depending on the individual casing of each of its letters) Have you ever tried looking at some of that source in large quantities it just spins around and around and makes me sick to look it.

I’ve seen stupid VB code, and really stupid dirty nasty C++ code because people use all that cute poetic pre-encrypted syntax C++ allows for. Now, go on MSDN, and look up the System.Reflection.Assembly class and view the code example for it written in C++, C#, and VB7. That’s the difference between VB and C++. Now, download the DirectX SDK and check the code samples for the GetServiceProviders project (in VB and C#) called EnumSP in C++. Compare the sizes of the main files. 4KB in VB and C# vs 10KB in C++. But when ,in both the above, you look at the C# and VB.NET samples they aren’t that different now are they?

VB is naturally so close to english you can’t really get anymore clear or concise, now can you? } could mean anything, and if the coder doesn’t indent or got clever it could mean ++anything.

I’m loosing my focus even thinking about the all powerful portable assembly 1400 lines of code for "Hello World" C++ language. Back on task. Coding conventions not being followed is the management’s fault. Around here it’s "Option Strict On and Option Explicit On or Unemployment. Pick one". You should be complaining about how colleges make it easy for shitty managers to get away with things, not VB.

VB’s freestyle options are to let new blood break into coding a lot easier, in a language they may be accustomed to (if English is their first). VB taught me the importance of coding conventions and self-describing code. ‘abstract’ and ‘sealed’ may not immediately be understandable in the context of a program. MustInherit, and NotInheritable are pretty damned clear if you ask me. C# inherited those evil switch statements with the break; in every case. STUPID. VB inherited On Error Goto Next. Oh well, at least they have some error handling. Try Catch is about 3 logical steps from On Error Goto Handler: with a SelectCase err block in it. When you go professional you learn to be professional. Believe me, programming in C/C++/C# does not in any way whatsoever guarantee that someone reading your code 4 years later will be happy with you or understand your crap, and in fact because there aren’t a lot of keyWORDs they’ll probably be more confused than with VB. C# is VB.NET’s sister language. Both are modernized offspring of old language families – BASIC (1964) and C (1972) both of them carrying some crap. The people who work in them, get over it, try getting over it some time instead of bashing each other when you could be productively doing your Job. C# and VB.NET have come so far from 40 years ago. .NET’s language neutrality is so that we can put away these kinds of arguments. C# coders can actually make a program before quiting time, and VB coders can do more without hacking the language so much. Even better, how about we all agree to hate crappy programmers regardless of language without any assumptions or generalizations of coders because of their language. You see some good, functional, well written VB or C# code, you say, damn! that’s some nice code. You see some really bad VB or C# code, you bitch about it for a while, say "this is how you can do better, please do better" and move on.

34. Bill says:

<A couple of the people in that session had <some questions for me around our commitment <to VB in the .NET world. I was a little <surprised by these questions.

I think one look at MSDN Magazine will give you an idea of why people have questions. It calls itself "The Microsoft Journal for Developers" but I think it’s real name should be the C# Journal.

35. N. Williams says:

You have go to walk before you run, folks.

I have transitioned to VB.Net and am very glad I did. I am getting more used to looking at things from an object-oriented perspective and the .Net framework helped me get there.

I feel that this move into .Net will eventually lead to one language that combines the benefits of both. I look at VB.Net and see more than a few similarities to C#. You also can’t miss that Microsoft is pushing OOP with every publication they put out these days. All of this has started my progression to C# and I do like it a lot. I also think that this is what Microsoft might want.

At least VB.Net pushes you toward better habits. VB6 just didn’t.

36. Alan Yeung says:

I learned Java and C++ from school and picked up VB (basically from the use of ASP) on my own.

For .NET, I know both VB.NET and C# and read books for both languages. Whether it’s VB.NET or C#, it’s just a matter of syntax differences (except the fact that C# has memory management), both languages perform as well as each other. So, in my eyes, they’re basically equivalent.

At work, I use VB.NET for ASP.NET, VB sometimes bothers me with its loose types and its case insensitive nature… Undoubtedly, it’s convenient but bad… Things like this (Ex: Return true in the case of "1" = 1) can freak me out especially when I didn’t spot it…

All in all, I don’t see myself leaning towards a specific language for .NET, I just consider myself a .NET developer. Programming languages are just like religion, everybody has his or her own choice/taste.

37. Jignesh Desai says:

In India its just the reverse then HongKong. Job requiremetns is VB.NET ….

As the opinion of drebin, doesn’t "encourage" a developer to become better

I think VB.NET is designed for quick development as programmers don’t have to write much like you type if and rest will be completed. when there is a deadline of projects, u very much prefer such a thing.

case-sencetive languages do slower the speed. is my experience.

Yes i agree to one thing that C# coding can make programmer become better, but vb.net guys are already better … 😉 just teasing u…

I think C# is better choice of companies because its ECMA. i have’t read much, but would like to know why only ecma spec. for C# , why not VB.NET ?

-Jignesh

38. Carl B says:

You can write bad code in any language. You just have issues with a bad working environment/unqualified and lazy co-workers, which happens in EVERYTHING – not just VB coding like you seem to think. You will encounter that in just about every place you work. VB.Net is better than C# in many cases, and the same holds true as well.

39. MBA says:

Helpful For MBA Fans.

40. MBA says:

Helpful For MBA Fans.

41. …yet want to sound like they do. I would love to see the like of Jay Roxe (Microsoft) put in a room

42. Yesterday was a fairly exciting day…. I had to fly down to San Francisco to get my visa for that trip

43. Yesterday was a fairly exciting day…. I had to fly down to San Francisco to get my visa for that trip

44. Olgunka-aj says:

<a href= http://index1.ibynici.com >metalist</a> <a href= http://index2.ibynici.com >apartments uab</a> <a href= http://index3.ibynici.com >insight trading</a> <a href= http://index4.ibynici.com >printable to do list</a> <a href= http://index5.ibynici.com >u of a softball schedule</a>

45. elexx-nx says:

<a href= http://index1.kuvalda-200.ru >����� � ������ ������</a> <a href= http://index2.kuvalda-200.ru >�������� ���������� ������ �����</a> <a href= http://index3.kuvalda-200.ru >���� ������������ ������ �����</a> <a href= http://index4.kuvalda-200.ru >������� ���������������� ��������</a> <a href= http://index5.kuvalda-200.ru >������� ���������� ����� ������</a>