Questions about .NET momentum

First of all, I want to thank the dozens of people (well-wishers) who sent me super encouraging mails welcoming me to the blogging world.  I should confess that I was reasonably nervous about my first blog posting, but all the words of encouragement did wonders for me.  Thank you for that.

Recently, I did a couple of customer and partner visits (one in the Chicago area, one in San Francisco and one in Europe) and one of the questions that I got asked a lot was around .NET momentum.  I wanted to take this opportunity to share with you some facts around this (I definitely don’t want my blogs to become a PR channel, but since I get asked this question a lot I feel it is ok for me to share this with you all).

We have seen over 70 million downloads of the .NET framework from Windows Update and the Microsoft Download center to date.  For a simple guy like me, that translates to about 5.5 million downloads a month.  Another interesting datapoint is that in 2004, we expect to have about 54 million new PCs shipping with the .NET framework installed/preloaded.  We also have over 2.5M developers targeting managed code.  So, looking at all these data points I feel quite good about the adoption and momentum of .NET.  Being the unbiased guy that I am, I am confident that VS2005 is going to make this even better.

On a related note, I am sure that some of you have heard about the .NET framework bootstrapper that we put out on microsoft.com recently.  This is designed to make it very easy for developers who are writing .NET applications to package up the .NET framework along with their application in a easy way for deployment.

Namaste!

1. Ricky Datta says:

> We also have over a million developers targeting managed code.

In a recent interview you said, there are 2.5 Million MSDN subscriptions sold.

How did you infer 1 Million managed code developers ?

Thanks

Rciky Datta

2. Soma says:

Hi Ricky,

Good catch. I just fixed my blog to reflect the right number – 2.5M developers targeting managed code. Thanks.

3. There is an associated workspace and article with that bootstrapper download… which folks can find at http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/downloads/tools/bootstrapper/

Thanks…

4. Chris says:

The bootstrapper fails with an error message.

Product installer ‘FxCopSourceSetup.msi’ could not be located.

5. Chris says:

What is the thinking about a smaller version of the .NET Framework that contains only the files needed o run an Windows Forms app leaving out ASP.net and the compiler tools?

6. Chris says:

I got the bootstrapper to work. Nice 🙂

7. Somasegar says:

Congratulations, Chris. Hope it is useful.

8. Soma says:

Hi Chris,

I am assuming you know about .NET CF (Compact Framework) which is a smaller version of the .NET framework targeted at devices.

Are you asking about something similar targeted at the PCs. If you think about the tradeoff between creating a subset and maintaing compatibility versus continuing to improve the full CLR support, we have focused on the latter.

One thing that would interesting to know – what is the main reason you would want somethign like this?

9. 肄若芸 says:

Ping Back来自:blog.csdn.net

10. AmitPandey says:

one of the best site deals with furniture things of good quality.