Installing SQL Reporting Services and MOSS 2007 on the Same port ( default : 80)

If you have both MOSS 2007 ( Microsoft Office SharePoint Server) and Reporting Services ( not in SharePoint integrated mode) installed on the same IIS virtual server, then you have to make the below updates in web.config for them to work

1)      In the Root web.config to comment out the below. Otherwise the reportserver will give sessionState partitionResolver Issue
<!– <sessionState mode=”SQLServer” timeout=”60″ allowCustomSqlDatabase=”true” partitionResolverType=”Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.SqlSessionStateResolver, Microsoft.Office.Server, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c” />
–>

2)      In both Reportserver  and ReportManager vdir web.config, the following should be added under appSettings. Otherwise you will get ReportViewer error messages
<remove key=”ReportViewerMessages” />

This is because , by default MOSS uses /reports url for itโ€™s report center and itโ€™s the same virtual dir url for native SQL Reporting Services report manager as well.

1. Lip says:

thank you very much you released me from a problem, which was close to driving me crazy ๐Ÿ˜‰

2. bryan harvey says:

added the key to the web.config

<remove key="ReportViewerMessages" />

worked for me as well.

using MOSS 2007, SQL Enterprise 05 w/ sp2, and TFS 2008 – single server (win 2003 r2 w/ sp2) install.

3. Vikram says:

Thanks a lot for the helpful tips.

regards & best wishes !!

4. kf says:

Not sure about the part about commenting out the setting in the root web.config as there isn’t a web.config in the root directory.

I added the remove key setting to the web.configs in the ReportServer and ReportManager directories and seems to have resolved the problem.

Thanks.

5. George Nordic says:

Thank you very much!

Very usefull. You’ve saved a tonn of my time! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kind Regards,

George

6. gbaja biamila says:

By the grace of allah, I found this link, my God bless you, you saved my day….

7. Will Anderson says:

I wish any of you guess could describe the path to this .config files

8. Will Anderson says:

I wish any of you guess could describe the path to this .config files

9. Mey M says:

In IIS Manager (inetmgr) ,right click on the reports virtual directory and view the properties and you can get the local path from there. The web.config will be located in that local path.

10. wkn says:

thank you so much for helping me out of the mess!

11. Wendell says:

How will servicing of either TFS or MOSS effect this change?

12. Ramesh Krishnan says:

Hi,

I’m trying to use Visual studio Reports to display Reports in MOSS Enterprise version. I’m getting "The type ‘Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.Analytics.UI.ReportViewerMessages, Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c’ does not implement IReportViewerMessages" error. If I comment out

<!–<add key="ReportViewerMessages" value="Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.Analytics.UI.ReportViewerMessages, Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" />–>

then the report works. What is the purpose of the above key and will it interfere anywhere in the enterprise version, if I comment it out

I appreciate your help very much

Thanks

Ramesh

13. If you have Report Server and SharePoint installed on the same port you might experience the following

14. Alan says:

Thankyou so much, this was driving me mad! I only needed to add the

<remove key="ReportViewerMessages" />

15. Zahid says:

Problem solved ๐Ÿ™‚ very usefull help

16. raksa says:

sorry i don't know where in webconfig to add that statement please help.