EP Site Templates not appearing under "Custom Tab" in WSS 3.0/MOSS 2007

You need to run the deployment wizard from AX client (Administration->Setup->Internet->Enterprise Portal->Manage Deployments) on the web server to deploy the site defintiion and other files.

Refer to the step by step implementation guide

If you have followed this and still don’t see the site defintion, then there is KB Article on this.

Cause

=============================

The file copy operation of the WSS templates may fail for several reasons including the following; the current user account does not have rights to the file location; the current server has both Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 and 3.0 installed on the same machine and the 3.0 version cannot be determined; the Windows SharePoint Services installation has additional language packs installed.

Workaround 1

=============================

Manually copy the following files:

Copy the file WEBTEMPAXSITEDEF.XML to the following folders:

%ProgramFiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\SiteTemplates\XML

%ProgramFiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\1033\XML

Copy the AXSITEDEF folder

%ProgramFiles% is a variable and is used for your windows Program Files folder, e.g.

C:\Program files

After making these changes the templates should be visible in SharePoint Central Administration when creating a new site collection.

Note: On non US-English installations you may have more than the 1033 folder which represents the Windows SharePoint Services language ID.  You will need to copy the same files to the other localizations as you did to the 1033 folder.

1. Waldo says:

Question:

Where is the file WEBTEMPAXSITEDEF.XML and directory AXSITEDEF located.  I do not see them anywhere on my machine.  The wpcatalog directory does exist in my sharepoint app directory

2. meysun says:

Once you run the Deployment wizard , the WebTempAXSiteDef.xml should be available at

%ProgramFiles%Common FilesMicrosoft SharedWeb server extensions12TEMPLATESiteTemplatesXML

You need to copy this to

%ProgramFiles%Common FilesMicrosoft Sharedweb server extensions12TEMPLATE1033XML

The content of the xml file will be like

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

<!– _lcid="1033" _version="11.0.5510" _dal="1" –>

<!– _LocalBinding –>

<Templates xmlns:ows="Microsoft SharePoint">

<Template Name="AXSITEDEF"     ID="9264">

<Configuration ID="0" Title="Microsoft Dynamics Enterprise Portal" Hidden="FALSE" ImageUrl="/_layouts/ep/images/dyaxepprev.png" Description="Microsoft Dynamics Enterprise Portal"></Configuration>

<Configuration ID="1" Title="Microsoft Dynamics Public" Hidden="FALSE" ImageUrl="/_layouts/ep/images/dyaxepprev.png" Description="Microsoft Dynamics Public">   </Configuration>

</Template>

</Templates>

3. Waldo says:

Did that, see the template but when I hit ok t create collection I get, ‘Failed to instantiate file "default.master" from module "DefaultMasterPage": Source path "default.master" not found.

I have tried the following:

*********************************************

stsadm.exe -o execadmsvcjobs – did not work

*********************************************

1) Copy EVERYTHING from the templates download etc. into your

c:Progr~1CommonMS SharedWebserver extns12BIN folder

2) Open a command window at this location

3) stsadm –o addsolution –filename ApplicationTemplateCore.wsp

4) STSADM.EXE -o deploysolution -local -name ApplicationTemplateCore.wsp -allowgacdeployment

5) stsadm -o copyappbincontent

6) stsadm -o execadmsvcjobs

7) iisreset

8) now repeat for all the other WSP files. I did these all at once and ran the execadmsvcjobs/iisreset at the end.

9) Go to your WSS Central Admin site (http://site:17785 and then Operations>Solutions management and all WSP should show as deployed.

*********************************************

The issue with this is I do not have and wsp files.  Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help

4. Robert says:

Rube Goldberg would be so pleased with Micrsooft SharePoint.

5. Gvds says:

I have followed the information mentioned above. I have a tab Custom now but when I create the Enterprise Portal I receive the error "File not found". Anybody an idea on how to solve this?

6. Sertan says:

Same happens "file not found" above.

7. Saravanan.T says:

I am not have a bin folder and wpcatalog folder in c:inetpubwwwroot path after installed the WSS 2.0.Plz help me

Thanks.

8. Leo says:

For those ppl with problem of "file not found" problem, try copy the content of

ProgramFiles%Common FilesMicrosoft SharedWeb server extensions12TEMPLATESiteTemplatesAXSITEDEF

to

%ProgramFiles%Common FilesMicrosoft Sharedweb server extensions12TEMPLATE1033AXSITEDEF

9. Nish says:

I did this, but still "File Not Found" 🙁

10. Poff says:

Has anyone solved the "File Not Found" problem?

Is there a way to find out what file is not found during Site creation process?

11. You can change your Web.Config for your site to show debug information (file: C:inetpubwwwrootwssVirtualDirectories80Web.Config).

Locate the following tags in the file and change:

from: <SafeMode …. CallStack="false".. to: CallStack="true"

from: <customErrors mode="On" /> to: mode="Off" />

from: <compilation … debug=false"> to: debug="true"

Im my case the "file not found" had something to do with MOSS and I was running WSS.

12. Hi,

I am having the same problem, strangely I installed the EP and got the tempaltes, then had a problem so removed the EP (in DAX client) then tried re-installing and cant find them anywhere?

Ive tried everything above but just cant find the site definition templates…?

Ive got all the webpart files, but no templates… anyone with any ideas yet?

james

13. Chris says:

Hi, I’m having problems in that when I run the setup to install EP/Role Centres I get this warning in the setup log which seems to only happen if the system I’m installing on has our company specific license and en-gb as the locale:

Entering function CurrentUserAlias

Leaving function CurrentUserAlias

Creating new Enterprise Portal Site with following the parameters:n URL: http://AX4TEST/sites/DynamicsAxn Title: EP Siten LCID: 1033n OwnerLogin: MYDOMAIN/myuser

Administration Web Service URL: http://ax4test:10224/_layouts/ep/WSSAdmin.asmx

Error: The site /sites/DynamicsAx could not be created.  The following exception occured: File or arguments not valid for site template ‘AXSITEDEF#0’..

An error occured while Setup was creating a new site.

Exception of type ‘Microsoft.SharePoint.SoapServer.SoapServerException’ was thrown.

File or arguments not valid for site template ‘AXSITEDEF#0’.

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException

at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)

at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)

at Microsoft.Dynamics.Framework.Deployment.Portal.WSSAdmin.CreateSite(String Url, String Title, String Description, Int32 Lcid, String WebTemplate, String OwnerLogin, String OwnerName, String OwnerEmail, String PortalUrl, String PortalName)

at Microsoft.Dynamics.Framework.Deployment.Portal.EPDeployment.CreateDefaultEPSite(String virtualServerUrl)

API return status: Warning

Leaving function Microsoft.Dynamics.Framework.Deployment.Portal.IEPDeployment.InstallEnterprisePortal

—-

I have tried all suggested above to no avail, it happens any time I try and install a non-default Enterprise Portal/Role Centres now and I have tried all sorts to get round it. Can you shed any light as it’s driving me round the bend!

WEBTEMPAXSITEDEF.XML  doesn’t exist on my machine after pressing ‘update’ on the manage deployments form. The axsitedef folder has very little in.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

14. DamonR says:

i am having the same sort of issues does anyone have te WSP files to use to install the templates etc?

15. Brajendu Kumar Das says:

I am having the another problem : I am geting a few web application with custom Tab and a few are missing custom Tab in MOSS 2007.

There is no message or error report.

16. mrfac says:

For "file not found" this worked for me:

mrfac*[at]*o2.pl