Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component


There are scenarios where you might find the following errors/exceptions:

---------------------------
Setup
---------------------------
Setup encountered an unexpected error in the package contents.The package will not be installed.Please contact your vendor for a new package.
---------------------------
OK  
---------------------------

---------------------------
Microsoft Visual Studio
---------------------------
Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component.
---------------------------
OK  
---------------------------

Scenario One: The Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 install crashes immediately after launching the Setup.

I ran process explorer tool http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx before launching the VS 2010 setup and I found the below information:

Setup.exe 2436 RegQueryValue HKCR\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{F5078F32-C551-11D3-89B9-0000F81FE221}\InProcServer32\(Default) SUCCESS Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ, Length: 66, Data: %SystemRoot%\System32\msxml3.dll
Setup.exe 2436 RegQueryValue HKCR\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{F5078F32-C551-11D3-89B9-0000F81FE221}\InProcServer32\(Default) SUCCESS Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ, Length: 66, Data: %SystemRoot%\System32\msxml3.dll
Setup.exe 2436 RegQueryValue HKCR\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{F5078F32-C551-11D3-89B9-0000F81FE221}\InProcServer32\(Default) SUCCESS Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ, Length: 66, Data: %SystemRoot%\System32\msxml3.dll

From the above information I found that it was using 64 bit msxml3.dll from a 32 bit registry location( com registration). So registering msxml3.dll appropriately resolved the issue.

Start—>Run—> regsvr32  %SystemRoot%\System32\msxml3.dll

Start—>Run—> regsvr32  %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\msxml3.dll

 

Scenario Two:

The Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 IDE  crashes while creating OR debugging a web application project.

This above error occurs because of corrupted Cache of Visual Studio 2010. In order to resolve the issue just delete the project Cache from the below location:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplatesCache

C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplatesCache

Then run "devenv.exe /setup" to re-build the cache.

Start—>Run—> C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe  /setup


Comments (11)

  1. Shaikh Imran says:

    Thanks for your help

  2. Atyulya Kadam says:

    This helped me:

    C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 10.0Common7IDEProjectTemplatesCache

    C:Program Files(x86)Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0Common7IDEProjectTemplatesCache

    Then run "devenv.exe /setup" to re-build the cache.

    Start—>Run—> C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 10.0Common7IDEdevenv.exe  /setup

  3. Sandeep says:

    I already tried all of the following:

    1) Cleared ProjectTemplateCache and recreated it. Still having issue

    2) Updated to VS2012 SP4 , Still having issue.

    3) deleted bin and obj folders. Still having issue.

    Then i checked all the telerik refrences. And one of the Telerik reference was coming from "C:Program Files (x86)TelerikUI for Silverlight Q3 2014BinariesSilverlighttelerik.windows.controls.datavisualization.dll"

    i changed it and copy to my local "lib" folder for the project and it solved the issue.

    Hope this helps someone.

  4. kf says:

    Thanks o lot

  5. MANISH says:

    Many many thanks for giving such a wonderful solution. 🙂

  6. Hubris Serendipity says:

    Thank you so much!  Appropriately registering msxml3.dll worked like a charm!

  7. Thae Su San says:

    Thanks a lot

  8. Manish Jain says:

    Thanks a lot! It solved my problem.

  9. Ronny says:

    This has helped me a lot, thank you so much

  10. Mini says:

    Thanks for your help

Skip to main content