After a successful couple of months I've now switched our main home phone number to VOIP. Goodbye landline! Overall, it's been a very good experience. I take my hat off to the guys at SunRocket for excellent service so far. For those thinking about a similar move, here's a run down of the pro's and con's of the switch:
- Cost. I purchased SunRocket's $199 package, which added a ton of features and literally cut my monthly phone bill by 50%. Time from purchase to getting up and running was very reasonable - and very well communicated.
- International Dialing. The $3 international limit per month is perfect for my needs and I don't have to worry about recharging a phone card.
- Cordless Phones. The free cordless phones (part of a SunRocket offer at the time I subscribed) are awesome.
- Voicemail. Voicemail messages are now delivered by Email. No more answer machine!
- Other Features. Other features such as call waiting are now included for free.
- Call quality. For most of the time it's great (I've actually found it better when I make calls to my house than from it). There are however odd occasions where quality is similar to a cellphone though - especially when downloading data at the same time as making a call.
- Fax machines don't work over VOIP. I'm not sure why, but I hear that this is as expected.
My feature request list for SunRocket:
- Please extend the second number option to include numbers based in other countries. I'd love to have a UK based number for my second line (just like Vonage - ahem).
- Please enable the second line on the "gizmo" so that we can use both lines/numbers at once.
- Please consider a PC client application that will let me make calls using my VOIP account - I'll happily use a headset of the PC.