First of all, what are the June Small Basic Challenges?
Challenge of the Month - June 2017
These challenges are intended for people who are learning to program for the first time or for those returning to programming who want to start using Small Basic. Some will be easy, some will be hard - but they will all make you think, and more importantly be GREAT FUN!
Post your solutions in the forum thread here:
Please post your solutions / partial solutions / questions / feedback etc. into this thread that will remain 'sticky' for the month. The only rule is that your solution must use standard Small Basic methods (no extensions).
It would be good if people could post their problems with these challenges so that a discussion can start so that everyone can learn from each other.
We may extend these challenges over into a second month if solutions and questions are still coming in.
- Write a program to input numbers from a user and only accept numbers that are a perfect square (e.g. 4, 9, 121)
- Write a program to print out the first 20 Fibonacci numbers
- Create a Fibonacci curve
- Create an arrow (or use Turtle) that always points towards the mouse as you move the mouse over the GraphicsWindow
- Create a neon sign - add any text or images or even make it flash
- Create an image that shows the field lines between a positive and negative charge
- Try to extend it to show field lines when then the user adds positive and/or negative charges anywhere on the GraphicsWindow
- Create a program to count the number of lines, words and charaters in a file. For this challenge a word is any connected set of alpha-numeric characters of any case (a-z,A-Z,0-9)
- Use the program to count lines, words and characters in your program file
- The challenge is to use the smallest number of lines, words or characters
- Create a 'hangman' word game
- Dictionary / Word game challenge - (By Coding Cat)
I created a dictionary array in Small Basic. I limited it to 3000 common words of length five or more to allow it to be imported.
I think it would be fun to see what people can do with it.
The dictionary array: HKZ204
The app I wrote to create the word array from any list of words: HDJ631-0
- How many triangles - (By Anti-Freeze)
Puzzle() Program.Delay(1000) Sub Puzzle GraphicsWindow.DrawRectangle(10,10,400,400) GraphicsWindow.DrawLine(10,10,410,410) GraphicsWindow.DrawLine(410,10,10,410) GraphicsWindow.DrawLine(10,210,410,210) GraphicsWindow.DrawLine(210,10,210,410) GraphicsWindow.DrawLine(10,10,410,210) GraphicsWindow.DrawLine(10,10,210,410) GraphicsWindow.DrawLine(10,410,410,210) GraphicsWindow.DrawLine(10,410,210,10) GraphicsWindow.DrawLine(410,10,210,410) GraphicsWindow.DrawLine(410,10,10,210) GraphicsWindow.DrawLine(410,410,210,10) GraphicsWindow.DrawLine(410,410,10,210) EndSub
I have written my first little Small Basic program to calculate the answer but would welcome an independent view or solution which would verify my result.
Some answers already on last month's challenge thread.
Do you have an idea for a future challenge? Please post it here!
- LitDev & Ninja Ed
June 2017 Small Basic Guru Competition
What is TechNet Guru Competition?
Each month the TechNet Wiki council organizes a contest of the best articles posted that month.
This is your chance to be announced as MICROSOFT TECHNOLOGY GURU OF THE MONTH!
One winner in each category will be selected each month for glory and adoration by the MSDN/TechNet Ninjas and community as a whole. Winners will be announced in dedicated blog post that will be published in Microsoft Wiki Ninjas blog, a tweet from the Wiki Ninjas Twitter account, links will be published at Microsoft TNWiki group on Facebook, and other acknowledgement from the community will follow.
Some of our biggest community voices and many MVPs have passed through these halls on their way to fame and fortune.
If you have already made a contribution in the forums or gallery or you published a nice blog, then you can simply convert it into a shared wiki article, reference the original post, and register the article for the TechNet Guru Competition. The articles must be written in June 2017 and must be in English. However, the original blog or forum content can be from before June.
Come and see who is making waves in all your favorite technologies.
Maybe it will be you!
Who can join the Competition?
Anyone who has basic knowledge and the desire to share the knowledge is welcome. Articles can appeal to beginners or discusse advanced topics. All you have to do is to add your article to TechNet Wiki from your own specialty category.
How can you win?
- Please copy/Write over your Microsoft technical solutions and revelations to TechNet Wiki.
- Add a link to your new article on THIS WIKI COMPETITION PAGE (so we know you've contributed)
- (Optional but recommended) Add a link to your article at the TechNet Wiki group on Facebook. The group is very active and people love to help, you can get feedback and even direct improvements in the article before the contest starts.
Do you have any question or want more information?
If you win, people will sing your praises online and your name will be raised as Guru of the Month
Thanks in advance!
-TechNet Wiki Council, Richard Mueller & Ninja Ed