These challenges are intended for people who are learning to program for the first time or for those returning to programming who want to start using Small Basic. Some will be easy, some will be hard – but they will all make you think, and more importantly be GREAT FUN!
Please post your solutions / partial solutions / questions / feedback etc. into this thread that will remain ‘sticky’ for the month. The only rule is that your solution must use standard Small Basic methods (no extensions).
It would be good if people could post their problems with these challenges so that a discussion can start so that everyone can learn from each other.
We may extend these challenges over into a second month if solutions and questions are still coming in.
- Write a program to draw a tree with fruit on it
- Write a TextWindow program to say ‘Good Morning’, ‘Good Afternoon’, ‘Good Evening’ or ‘Good Night’ depending on the time of day
- Write a GraphicsWindow program to display small squares with as many different colours as you can – what is the maximum number of possible colours that can be displayed?
- Write a GraphicsWindow program with buttons and textboxes to enter numbers to display in a table. The program also automatically displays the current total (sum of all entered numbers)
- Extend to include other buttons to clear the data, save to a file, restore data from a file
- Extend further to add additional feature buttons to maybe highlight the min max values etc
- Write a program to draw a boat, perhaps a pirate ship
- Try to add some animation, so the whole boat or some part moves, like a fluttering flag
- Write a ciper to encrypt and decrypt a message
- Some ideas on ciphers
- Learn about public and private key encryption and when they are used – and of course write your own
- Write a car lane changing game where you have to avoid traffic by changing lanes
Do you have an idea for a future challenge? Please post it here!
Thank you to LitDev for hosting these challenges!
Small and Basically loving the challenges,
– Ninja Ed