So, I was downloading the LitDev extension for Small Basic onto a new computer, and I thought I'd blog about it while it was fresh in my mind! =^)
If you haven't tried the LitDev extension, you're depriving yourself of awesome!
Here's the API Reference: http://litdev.org/LitDev.html
Here are some highlights of objects/classes in the extension you should try out:
- LD3DView - Bring the capabilities for a full 3D graphics engine into Small Basic! So cool!
- LDPhysics - Boom! Bring on the game physics!
- LDController - Now you can use videogame controllers (USB gamepads and joysticks) to play the games you make!
- LDDebug - Hack together some basic debugging tricks! Debug the small and basic way!
- LDWaveForm - Remote controlled objects can be programmed by your Small Basic programs! No way? Yes way!
- LDWebCam - Now you can see! With your webcam.
And there's a lot more! Head to http://litdev.org/LitDev.html to try them all!
Got a favorite that should be mentioned here? Leave a comment!
All this in one extension!
So how do you install this beauty?
You'll likely want the latest version on the top here, but you can install the beta version to try out whatever LitDev and others are currently combobulating.
After you download the files, you'll want to unzip the files and move them:
As with all Small Basic extensions, copy the extension dll and xml (inside the dll zip) to a lib sub-folder of the Small Basic installation folder, usually in one of the following locations:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Small Basic\lib
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Small Basic\lib
You may require to create the lib folder if it doesn't exist.
The instructions then show you how to unblock the DLL file:
If the extension commands fail to appear in Small Basic (type LD and no options appear) then you may need to unblock the downloaded dll. Right click LitDev.dll and select Properties and clear the block if present. If it fails to unblock, then copy LitDev.dll to a folder where you have write access (e.g. Documents), unblock it there and then move back to the Small Basic lib folder. Alternatively, unblock the downloaded zip file before unzipping the content.
I just had all those problems. So I'd follow the instructions/steps like this:
- Install the LitDev zip file from here.
- Save it somewhere. Unzip it.
- Copy/move the DLL file and the two XML files into the Small Basic extension folder. I think the "Lib" folder is automatically created in version 1.2 (because it houses the Kinect files). For me, the extension folder was: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Small Basic\lib
- You can try the "Unblock" troubleshooting steps above, but I had the worst scenario for unblocking the DLL file, so I'd start with that... Cut/Move the LitDev.dll file into your Documents folder.
- Right-click the DLL file and click Properties.
- In the Properties window, click "Unblock" at the bottom in the Security section (see image above). Click OK to close the window. At this point, you can re-open the window to double-check. You know that it worked if the "Unblock" option is now gone (under the Attributes section).
- Cut/move the LitDev.dll file back into the Small Basic "Lib" folder.
- Run Small Basic with LitDev objects to test it. Import "ZPX036" and click Run. Or, as another test, type "LD" and you should see the LitDev objects in the IntelliSense wheel.
Once you're up and running, check out the LitDev documentation to dig in:
As you can imagine, LitDev and many supporting developers put a lot of thought and effort into this extension. So if this is your first time trying out the extension, please leave a comment here, and join me as we thank LitDev for all the goodness we can enjoy!
Small and Basically yours,
- Ninja Ed