These challenges are intended for people who are learning to program for the first time or for those returning to programming who want to start using Small Basic. Some will be easy, some will be hard - but they will all make you think, and more importantly be GREAT FUN!
Please post your solutions / partial solutions / questions / feedback etc. into this thread that will remain 'sticky' for the month. The only rule is that your solution must use standard Small Basic methods (no extensions).
Post your solutions here:
It would be good if people could post their problems with these challenges so that a discussion can start so that everyone can learn from each other.
We may extend these challenges over into a second month if solutions and questions are still coming in.
- Write a program to display a simple table of data like the scores for 10 students
- Extend the program so that it reads the data from a file
- Extend it further so that the table display is automatically updated when the fie contents change
- Make a 9 zone 'swipe' login screen like you get on phones
- Write a program to show the binary value for numbers - the lights change when the number is changed or entered by the user
- Perhaps extend to a binary digit clock
Sum of Digits
- Write a program to recrsively sum all the digits in a number
- There is a pattern for any number divisible by 9
For example 561096 : 5+6+1+0+9+6 = 27 : 2+7 = 9
Community Suggestion (By Coding Cat)
Rotation in Stages
- Placing multiple shapes around a circle - Example: Peddles on a flower
- Rotating the shapes around the center - Example: Farris Wheel
- Rotating the shapes themselves as they rotate around the center - Example: A rotating marquee, where the bottoms of the letters always face the center
- Vary the radius of the of the circle as the shapes rotates - Example: The rotating letters would pulse in and out from the center as they rotated.
Community Suggestions (By Lvan Leduc)
These suggestions come on separate discussion threads.
- Convert a color image into a Black and White INFRARED effect - LINK
- Domination CHESS problems - LINK
- The mysterious number - LINK
- Who's gonna win the Stanley Cup this year? - LINK
- 3 points of perspective graphic view - LINK
Do you have an idea for a future challenge? Please post it here!
Thank you for all your community contributions, even if they're Small and Basic!
- Ninja Ed