Starting last year, we began the journey of continuing development on Microsoft Small Basic. It’s a new team assembled across Microsoft in a new world of devices and platforms.
As you can imagine, we’re taking one step at a time. This is not a large step, but it’s an important step. Please join us in trying out Small Basic 1.1, and post your feedback in the comments below!
We now offer two choices for downloading Microsoft Small Basic:
- Small Basic 1.1 – If you’re using Windows 7 / Windows Vista or newer operating systems
- Small Basic 1.0 – If you’re using Windows XP or prior operating systems
- Direct English Download – After you download and run the MSI file, the other languages are still available through the English installation wizard.
- Download Center Page – You can directly select and download your language from this page. You’ll also see more information about what’s new.
- Direct English Download – After you download and run the MSI file, the other languages are available through the English installation wizard.
- Download Center Page – You can find more information about the installation. (The only language option is English.)
What’s New in Microsoft Small Basic 1.1
- NET Framework 4.5 – We upgraded to .NET Framework 4.5 from 3.5 SP1. Although this causes some breaking changes (see below), it’s necessary in order to build out new objects that take advantage of new devices, operating systems, and capabilities.
Modernized UX: Controls – The design of the program controls (button, scroll bar, arrows on the control bar) in the GraphicsWindow is now flat (modernized). And the window title font is also updated.
- Language Downloads – You can now directly download your language from the Download Center. See the Download Center Page.
- Flickr Object (1.0-17) – Flickr changed their API, which broke the Flickr Object. This has been fixed for Small Basic 1.1.
- Windows XP – Due to the upgrade to .NET Framework 4.5, Small Basic 1.1 does not work on Windows XP and older operating systems. We will continue to offer Small Basic 1.0 for users of Windows XP and older operating systems.
- 1.0 Extensions – All extensions built for Small Basic 1.0 will need to be recompiled on Small Basic 1.1 and re-released.
- We’re experimenting with modernizing the graphics. Currently it affected the installation wizard, with some temporary modernized images. These will be updated again in future releases.
Supported Operating Systems:
Windows 10 Tech Preview, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Vista, Mini-Mac (Windows 8.1 / Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac / Mac OS X Yosemite), Lifebook (see installation instructions)
- .Net Framework 4.5:
Required for Windows 7 and Windows Vista. It comes installed with Windows 8 and newer.
- If you have Small Basic 1.0 installed, uninstall it. You’ll need to delete all the files in the “smallbasic” folder.
- NOTE: If you previously set your web browser to block the “C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft” folder, you’ll need to remove that block.
Thank you for joining us in our Small Basic journey. We’ve come a long way, but as you can see, we’re just getting started!
Small and Basically yours,
– Ninja Ed
- This blog post is also available in French: Small Basic 1.1 est arrivé ! (fr-FR)