Should we have a Small Basic International Summit?

What do you think? Should we have a Small Basic International Summit?

It would be:

• Online only, for now
  • In English, for now (maybe other languages in the future)
  • 2-3 days with multiple sessions
  • All sessions recorded
  • Cover everything Small Basic related

What do you think? Would you virtually attend?

What should the sessions be on? Who should speak?

Thanks!

– Ninja Ed

1. If you have any special requests for this, let us know!

2. anonymouscommenter says:

I think this would be a great idea. Generally speaking SmallBasic needs the exposure.

For it's simplicity SmallBasic offers alot in terms of accessibility, having a active forum, etc.

Thanks.

3. "Generally speaking SmallBasic needs the exposure." – Blain

Agreed. This would give SB a little more exposure.

Thanks!

4. "Possible discussions could be where and how SmallBasic could be utilized in the real world. I can see game development, educational software applications, sharing of code sections, perhaps multiple developers working cooperatively to develop algorithms, code, documentation." – Blain

This is an interesting thought. Thanks!

Usually Small Basic is used to learn all that, but for purposes of learning to do that with other programming languages in a job.

5. "I would like to get into game development and shared graphics, sprites would be appreciated." – Blain

We could focus on game examples and showing games. Good idea. Thanks!

6. "Learning Basic is fine and there is alot of fine resources for that. But what can you do with it is another matter. Of course user made creations put on this web site is terrific but most at best are demos of ideas. We need a slam-dunk application that shows people why we love Basic." – Blain

Like what kind of application do you have in mind? We do the Challenges, and some good applications have come in through that.

7. anonymouscommenter says:

Please, let me know so I can be a part of it. As a High School pedagog I have ideas 'How to' connect people even within the important progression from ideas to invention.

Regards, Gerth Öhman    gerth.ohman@gmail.com ; gerth.ohman@miun.se

8. anonymouscommenter says:

Don't get me wrong the monthly challenges are a great thing. I sometimes do them myself and have used them to illustrate algorithm and program development to non-computer users in particular older people.

What ideas do I have for program development? Wow. I am hoping a summit on Small Basic might help fertilize some ideas. One of the best things about Small Basic to me and Basic in general is it's versatility wherein it can be applied to many problems and doesn't require the overhead required by 'more sophisticated' <roll eyes here> languages.

I'll keep thinking up other ideas.

9. "I have been interested in computer games since the early '80's when I got a Atari 400 computer and am now working on a role-playing game in Small Basic. My hopes is to finish it soon and then perhaps give it to the Small Basic community to adapt it." – Blain

That would be cool! Let me know, and we'll feature it on the blog!

10. "My other area of interest with computers is artificial intelligence. Perhaps we can work on a path following/ learning system such as a mouse in a maze or robots fighting each other." – Blain

That would be very interesting. We can check to see what's possible here. Thanks!

11. "From my point of view it is very important to connect people within Small Basic (SB) development. I have tested SB and the program is very useful within innovation development. From ideas to invention and to innovation. So ..  build up a Small Basic International Summit." – Gerth

Thanks! That's great validation. I'll reach out to get to know you more. Thanks!

12. anonymouscommenter says:

As I wrote 'From my point of view it is very important to connect people within Small Basic (SB) development.', I have found SB as a very useful tool within innovation development, From ideas developed within the Limbic System to invention and to innovation. But SB can also be an enemy to Your own development if You are using it the wrong way.

I have also written a scientific Paper at MID Sweden University …

..called 'Id'e och innovation' in english 'Idea and innovation' … from ideas (limbic system) to innovation (customer and Market and protected by IPR). I have presented my scientific studies in Germany, Bulgaria, Italy, Norway and UK.

I have myself 44 IPR (to about 52800 new jobs) and I have together with GWB and VB software developed many very famous invention(s). One of them inside the Top 10 products of the Millennium USA !!  Now I have found that SB can also be used as a simple tool for invention(s).

I am old and once upon a time I was programming with the tools Fortran, Cobol, Pascal, C, C++  etc..  When I now look at SB (with my grandchildren) I have found the SB tool is very useful to start up programming (children) and also a tool for innovation development. I will come back with further information and please, let us meet sometimes inside a Small Basic International Summit.

Regards from Sweden,

Gerth Öhman

13. anonymouscommenter says:

Ed – You know I will attend the First International Microsoft Small Basic Summit and I could even do a session if you need me to.  Count me in!

14. Philip – Great! Let's chat. You can do one or two. Your imagination is the limit!

Everyone else- Philip has been pivotal with the launch and growth of TechNet Wiki. I think he's authored over 8 books on Small Basic! I believe the first one was back in 2010. He updated some classic books with a Small Basic bent, he wrote the only exhaustive Reference Guide, and his Small Basic for Kids actually targets kids! It's really helped round out our community content needs! So I look forward to hearing his session!

15. Gerth,

That's awesome! How old are your grandchildren?

Do you have a blog or something? I'd love to have you write up your thoughts on, "But SB can also be an enemy to Your own development if You are using it the wrong way."

And really dig in and understand your thoughts on this. And then I can also publish it as a guest blog post here!

Another option is that you can write it up and post it as a Discussion thread in the forum: social.msdn.microsoft.com/…/threads

And then I'll post it as a guest blog post here.

Thanks!

16. anonymouscommenter says:

Friends, as I wrote .. SB can be a very useful till to develope tools for game, education, logistics and also (my special area) 'innovation development'.

Please, let me know if You start SB Group Connection. I will present how I developed 44 IPR and about 52800 new jobs world-wide. Now within SB.

Regards,

Gerth

17. anonymouscommenter says:

My grandchildren are 5 and 8 years old. They understand the logistics within SB 'basic' programming.

Regards,

Gerth

18. Wow, Gerth! Did they learn from it? I'd like to add your quote to our list of Student Testimonies. 5 and 8 are great to capture thoughts on how well they learned, what they did with it, what it might lead to, etc.

Testimonies page: