These challenges are intended for people who are learning to program for the first time or for those returning to programming who want to start using Small Basic. Some will be easy, some will be hard – but they will all make you think, and more importantly be GREAT FUN!
Please post your solutions / partial solutions / questions / feedback etc. into this thread that will remain ‘sticky’ for the month. The only rule is that your solution must use standard Small Basic methods (no extensions).
It would be good if people could post their problems with these challenges so that a discussion can start so that everyone can learn from each other.
Also post feedback on the kind of challenges that you want to see more of in the future.
- Read a sentence from the user, then create an array with one entry for each word in the sentence.
- Then output the words in random order to create a nonsense sentence.
- Write a program to add 2 binary numbers, such as:
01001 + 00011 = 01100
- Write a program to multiply a binary number by 10, 100, 1000 (in binary), like:
01101 * 10 = 11010
- Write a program, using the methods above in subroutines to multiply any 2 binary numbers.
Graphics Challenge 1
Draw a pyramid of blocks, perhaps like this:
Graphics Challenge 2
Draw a eye that winks when clicked by the mouse.
Community Suggestions (by Pappa Lapub)
- MouseLogger / MouseTracks Recorder: Click on empty opened GW multiple times while recording these clicks in the background. When finished, initiate playback to repeat all previous clicks by a Shape or Turtle (with or w/o trails or press eg. 1,2,3 or 4 to support any of the 4 possibilities). Playback should not only support correct click positions but also original speed (timespan between clicks).
- ReadRegExpand: Export a registry key with ‘REG_EXPAND_SZ’ data to a TXT file and write a program to make it’s content human readable. eg. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bmp\ShellNew should be one of the first (when searching for ‘Data’: @%systemroot% to find such REG_EXPAND key).
Resulting output in this case should be similar to:
- 2D TextEffect/Animation: Everyone knows a movie crawl where a message for ET fades out into eeeendless space or like the “(3D) TextScreenSaver” in Windows.
Write a program with some text animation(s) e.g. using Animate, Zoom, Color, Rotate, Opacity, FontProps etc. or in fullscreen (screensaver like) mode. Sample: VHK875 (works soLaLa online, but better in offline mode
Community Suggestions (by Nonki)
- Create a program which searches not used subroutines and list them from a Small Basic source file.
- Create a 99 Bottles of Beer program.
- Draw (or fill) a Parallelogram.
There are plans for a bi-monthly big group challenge so keep an eye out for it!
Do you have an idea for a future challenge? Please post it here!
Special thanks to LitDev for hosting this contest!
– Ninja Ed