The Adventures of BARREL APE in Small Basic World!!! – by Nonki

First, it started with the Small Basic monthly challenges from LitDev:

Amongst those challenges is the Game Challenge:

Game Challenge

• Write a simplified version of the Donkey Kong game – jump over barrels to get to the top.

So, Nonki must not have read the directions. He seemed to have missed the word “simplified” there! =^)

Here is the latest version of the game:

FGM769-6

Now let’s see the journey!

First he made a barrel:

Nonki Takahashi – Saturday, March 08, 2014 7:01 AM

This is my first step for graphics challenge 1: FGM769.

Screen shot of a program Simple Donkey Kong 0.1a

I made a bitmap of a barrel from this output above with GIMP 2.

Bitmap for a barrel

That led to a physics test on animating the barrel!

Nonki Takahashi – Monday, March 10, 2014 10:18 AM

This is my second step for graphics challenge 1: FGM769-0.
This version simulates a barrel without friction.

That’s so cool! But he was just getting started! The first barrel on this next pass seems to be possessed by a ghost! =^)

Nonki Takahashi – Tuesday, March 11, 2014 4:34 PM

This is my latest graphics challenge 1: FGM769-1.

Screen shot of a program Simple Donkey Kong 0.3b - just shows barrels

Next, he added in the graphics of the characters…

Nonki Takahashi – Thursday, March 13, 2014 12:02 PM

This is my first step for game challenge: FGM769-2.

Screen shot of a program Donkey Kong in Smal Basic World 0.4a

You see that image above first (like a game start screen), and then it moves to the gameplay!

Nonki Takahashi – Friday, March 14, 2014 7:05 AM

This is my second step for game challenge: FGM769-3.

Use arrow keys to move Mario.

Screen shot of a program Donkey Kong in the Small Basic World 0.5b

Ha! You get a Game Over screen if you run out of lives! Refresh the page to start over! Hold down up to “super jump” up! Don’t worry, the game wasn’t done yet! =^)

Nonki Takahashi – Monday, March 24, 2014 8:00 AM

I uploaded latest version of game challenge: FGM769-5

Screen shot of a program DONKEY KONG in the Small Basic World 0.7

So there you go! You still super jump. I’m getting the Game Over screen a little early, but it’s still fun to play around with!

Then Nonki responded with a new version…

Nonki Takahashi – Wed, Apr 16 2014 10:53 PM

Ed, Thank you for announcing this program.  Latest version becomes smallbasic.com/program.  Ladder graphics just added.

Here is the latest version of the game:

FGM769-6

Instructions:

Arrow Keys Left and Right – Move

Arrow Key Up – Jump

Hold Up – Super Jump

Thanks to Nonki Takahashi for making the game!

– Ninja Ed

1. anonymouscommenter says:

How do you make Mario jump when you are playing the game? I am trying to get some of my students to use Small Basic to create stuff like this so want to show them this as a motivator. Put I tried embedding on my web site and play it but I tried the arrow keys, space, shift none made Mario move.

Any help would be appreciated.

Great work by the way!

2. Judy, the up arrow. The arrow keys move left and right.

Did you embed this one: smallbasic.com/program ?

Thanks!

3. Ed, Thank you for announcing this program.  Latest version becomes smallbasic.com/program .  Ladder graphics just added.

4. Nonki, that's cool!

When I get to the Princess, she kills me like a barrel does. =^)

5. Nonki, I updated the blog post with the latest version. Thanks!

6. anonymouscommenter says:

IT RUBBISH BECAUSE IT HAS NOT SHOW THE HEART WHEN I GET THERE

7. Mickayla, it's kind of tough. Did the princess kill you? I think that's what happened to me.

Thanks!