What was your first programming language? – Poll by Joe Dwyer

My first programming language was BASIC. I took a class at Fullerton College. All I knew at that point was that I wanted to make games and software. So I was learning everything I could. I started with BASIC, but I wish Small Basic was around back then. I would have taught myself (saved some money) and had a blast in the process!

So what was your first programming language?

Answer in the comments below!

This was originated by Joe’s poll (but the link is dead now):

You might want to check out Joe’s Principles of Programming, which is available on Amazon.com. It uses Small Basic to teach basic concepts of programming for kids and beginners.

1. AlfredTh says:

MY first was FORTRAN which sort of dates me. My second was a version of BASIC alled Basic Plus. I've been a fan of BASIC ever since.

2. User Ed says:

Yes! Fortran!

Did you find it easy to learn on? Do you wish you would have learned on BASIC or Small Basic instead?

3. Dave Zawislak says:

FORTRAN in high school computer club, using punch cards.

BASIC was the second on my 1st computer.

4. Rey says:

Pascal was what I learned first. First assignment was writing a calculator program.

5. Libor Stolc says:

BASIC language was very popular in Czech Republic in 80' last century. I was working as professional programmer a lot of years on WANG 2200 system with BASIC language. And at home I was using the Sinclair ZX80 personal computer with Integer BASIC in 4kb ROM. Later I upgraded it to ZX81 with 8kb ROM (BASIC with real numbers and functions) and 16kb RAM. I was using the SORD M5 personal computer at home, too.

And so I think that MS Small Basic is really very good and useful for children in first steps of programming. What about the version of Small Basic for Android tablet? I think it could be really interesting for a lot of Android users, because Android programming is quite complicated.

6. My first program language (?) was 8080 mnemonic.

7. User Ed says:

Nonki, when did you use that?

Thanks!

8. Mike says:

My first language was BASIC from my TI-99 4a connected to my TV.   It was great to save programs to the cassette recorder!

9. Yelinna says:

Logo back in 1994 😀 😀 😀

10. Ed, I read a book about NEC TK-80 and understood programing at the first time in 1979.

11. User Ed says:

Nonki, wow! That's amazing!

12. Chuck C says:

My first was Apple Integer BASIC (Wozniak), then AppleSoft BASIC.  I think Bill wrote that version himself  8^)

13. User Ed says:

Chuck, I'm a bit late, but that's really cool!