Thanks to LitDev for hosting the monthly challenges!
These challenges are intended for people who are learning to program for the first time or for those returning to programming who want to start using SmallBasic. Some will be easy, some will be hard – but they will all make you think, and more importantly be GREAT FUN!
Please post your solutions / partial solutions / questions / feedback etc. into this thread that will remain ‘sticky’ for the month. The only rule is that your solution must use standard SmallBasic methods (no extensions).
It would be good if people could post their problems with these challenges in this forum thread so that a discussion can start so that everyone can learn from each other.
Also post feedback on the kind of challenges that you want to see more of in the future.
Curriculum Challenges 2.5
- Use the Clock to time user response times when a box is flashed up on the GraphicsWindow.
- Use the Clock properties say good morning, afternoon, even or night in the TextWindow
- Use the Dictionary to say if a user entered word can be used as a noun, verb, adverb, adjective etc.
- Write a program to rationalize any fraction, for example 35/70 is 7/10.
- Write a graphical program to count your calories by selecting foods and portion sizes.
- Write a program to show a face that can be modified by selecting properties and styles (a bit like a Wii Mii).
- Reverse the characters in a text string.
- Change the first letter of each word in a string to a capital letter.
- Validate a password has at least 6 characters, has upper and lower case letters and at least one number
- Write a program to simulate a ball rolling on a table that can be tilted by the user.
- Write a clone of the Connect 4 game for 2 players (or harder using AI to play against the PC).
Community Suggestions (by Nonki)
- Write truth tables about Not, And, Or, and Xor.
- Draw a picture of the Olympic flag.
- Simulate a kaleidoscope.
Community Suggestions (by 8Bit Pony)
- Make a program that counts how many times a button on the Graphics window has been clicked. For an extra challenge, make the program count how many times the button was clicked in One minute.
Do you have an idea for a future challenge? Please post it in this forum thread!
Thank you to the community. Now go have fun! We already have a few responses!
– Ninja Ed