Small Basic Curriculum

Learn all about Small Basic by using the curriculum. With the curriculum, you can lean Small Basic with separate lessons – just like you would in a classroom. You can download the curriculum, which includes PowerPoint decks to teach from. As a teacher or as a student learning Small Basic on your own, the curriculum will guide you step by step.

Use the curriculum online

Download the curriculum

Find international curriculum

Related Downloads

If you do not have Microsoft Office PowerPoint on your computer, you can view the curriculum by installing the Microsoft PowerPoint Viewer at no cost:

Other Small Basic Learning

See the latest/updated version of this article (list of curriculum) here:

Small Basic Curriculum

– Ninja Ed

1. anonymouscommenter says:

Nice Blog Post Ed! I was wondering, would it be possible to store Small BASIC on a USB Thumb drive and code on the go?

2. CodeWizardKid1,

Small Basic is compatible with Windows 8. So "Yes". What device were you thinking of?

3. anonymouscommenter says:

A Mac because i'm getting one soon. I still wanna program in SB so that's why I asked. Also please look at my reply on "The Arrow can see you" Blog Post about the question you asked me.

4. anonymouscommenter says:

Oh and an smartphone. That would be cool to code SB on a phone.

5. anonymouscommenter says:

Also Ed. Would it be theoretically possible to do like a Weather Simulator? Like the program would demonstrate the seasons, storms, etc. I think it would be fun to try. Also never mind about "The Arrow can see you" I will just tell you

My Reply to your question to me on "The Arrow can see you" Blog Post:

It's really not that hard. I like it. I am learning Javascript now. It is really valuable. So yes it did lead me to learn other programming languages. I really like it.

6. We haven't tested with a Mac. Please let us know how well it works!

Weather applications have been attempted. I'd love to see how you go about it. Weather in USA:…/program

7. anonymouscommenter says:

A Weather application actually would be quite simple due to the fact that you could just have a graphics window with a feed that brings in weather reports from a news website (e.g.

8. anonymouscommenter says:

P.S. I'll be sure to tell you how well it works with a Mac!

9. anonymouscommenter says:

Hey Ed! I have a great idea for Small BASIC. A Coding Competition! Sorta like the Ludum Dare Competition. The Ludum Dare Competition is where Developers (Game developers) have 48 hours to design and code an original game with only a theme to start with (the theme is selected by the people who hold the Ludum Dare). Once the 48 hours are over the competitors submit their entry and then the Judges decide who wins. If we make something like that I suggest we post it on the Blog! I have a name picked out for it already. You can use it if you want to. The name is: The Microsoft Small BASIC Code-a-thon! If you will consider the idea. I think it could be a cool thing to do! Also here's a theme that I suggest! The theme is: Jump and Run games.

10. anonymouscommenter says:

Here's more information about the Ludum Dare. Link:…/Ludum_Dare

11. CodewizardKid1, this is great!

We've done a version of this, led by Nonki, called Small Basic TeamChallenge:…/small-basic-teamchallenge-tower-defense-game-vote-to-see-who-wins.aspx

Step 1 would be to start a forum thread on the subject in the Small Basic Forums and get people excited about it and to sign up:…/threads

Let me know here, and I'll pin your thread to get more views. Then you can own and run the progress via the forums with new and updated forum threads (let me know when you start new threads so that I can pin them).

Then I'll blog about the competition and the progress as you go.

Also, I love the theme. It's very ambitious, and that's a good thing!

But I have to warn you, it's a lot of work to motivate people and to keep them interested. That's why there wasn't a TeamChallenge #2 (although the first one was awesome).

12. anonymouscommenter says:

The links in the article are broken, they take me to the TechNet "Edit my Profile" page and don't allow me to access the content.  I'm a middle school teacher and would like to use this to teach my students the fundamentals of programming.

13. Pete, which links are broken?

14. anonymouscommenter says:

The Small Basic Curriculum in russian is corrupted.

15. Victor, what's corrupted? Files? Please email the team via smallbasic at Microsoft.

16. And you can email me via edprice at Microsoft. Thanks!

17. Best yet, you can open this as a new question on the Small Basic forum:…/threads

That will get the most people on it!