6 Lessons to learn Small Basic and graduate to Visual Basic!

Learn how to use Small Basic and to graduate to Visual Basic… in 6 steps!

Lesson 1: Getting Started with Small Basic

Lesson 1.1: Introduction to Small Basic – Estimated time to complete this sub-lesson: 30 minutes

Small Basic

Lesson 1.2: Statements, Properties, and Operations  – Estimated time to complete this sub-lesson: 1 hour

Lesson 1.3: Variables – Estimated time to complete this sub-lesson: 1 hour

Lesson 1.4: Conditions and Loops  – Estimated time to complete this sub-lesson: 1 hour

Lesson 1.5: Branching and Subroutines  – Estimated time to complete this sub-lesson: 1 hour

Lesson 2: Graphics Window

Lesson 2.1: Introduction to Graphics Window – Estimated time to complete this sub-lesson: 1 hour

Graphics Window

Lesson 2.2: Turtle Graphics  – Estimated time to complete this sub-lesson: 1 hour

Lesson 2.3: Exploring Shapes – Estimated time to complete this sub-lesson: 1 hour

Lesson 2.4: Sound, Program, and Text Objects  – Estimated time to complete this sub-lesson: 1 hour

Lesson 2.5: Clock, Desktop, and Dictionary Objects  – Estimated time to complete this sub-lesson: 1 hour

Lesson 2.6: Flickr, ImageList, and Network Objects  – Estimated time to complete this sub-lesson: 1 hour

Lesson 3: Input and Output

Lesson 3.1: File Input and Output  – Estimated time to complete this sub-lesson: 1 hour

ReadContents operation

Lesson 3.2: Stacks and Arrays – Estimated time to complete this sub-lesson: 1 hour

Lesson 3.3: The Math Object – Estimated time to complete this sub-lesson: 1 hour

Lesson 3.4: Events and Interactivity  – Estimated time to complete this sub-lesson: 1 hour

Lesson 3.5: The Controls Object  – Estimated time to complete this sub-lesson: 1 hour

Lesson 3.6: Debugging Aids – Estimated time to complete this sub-lesson: 1 hour

Lesson 4: Making Your Game

Lesson 4.1: Playing with Shapes  – Estimated time to complete this sub-lesson: 1 hour

Lesson 4.2: Responding to Events  – Estimated time to complete this sub-lesson: 1 hour

Lesson 4.3: Collision Detection  – Estimated time to complete this sub-lesson: 1 hour

Hit the Target game

Lesson 4.4: Advanced Games  – Estimated time to complete this sub-lesson: 1 hour

Lesson 5: Share

Lesson 5: Sharing Code  – Estimated time to complete this sub-lesson: 1 hour

Small Basic programs

Lesson 6: Graduation Ceremony

Lesson 6: Graduating to Visual Basic – Estimated time to complete this sub-lesson: 1 hour

Small Basic

Anybody make it through all 6 lessons? And post a comment if you have a better time estimate for these sub-lessons!

– Tall Basic Ed

1. Ray FAST says:

I did Lesson 1, part of Lesson 2, and part of Lesson 4 with my son over a weekend.  I'd say about 10+ hours on and off.  He spent a lot of time on Turtle himself 🙂

2. Thanks Ray! Let me know if you end up doing more and can time any of the sub-lessons. It sounds pretty close to the estimates from what you're saying.

How old is your son?

Thanks!

3. anonymouscommenter says:

Thanks a ton for the tutorials Ed, Small Basic is incredibly intuitive, but it's teaching power is only as powerful as it's teachers!  Good job.

4. LJ, glad you like the tutorials. Let me know if the estimates are accurate.

5. anonymouscommenter says:

Hey Ed,

I am in the process of teaching myself through the use of your guide.  I was wrapping up Lesson 1.5 and started the 'homework' section of the lesson.  Upon completion I had three errors which I figured were likely spelling/spacing errors.  But after copying your answer – multiple times – I still can not get the program to run.  I wanted to respectfully let you know that there might be something wrong with your answer, though it might be a problem on my side 🙂

6. anonymouscommenter says:

H3333333333333YYYY =D =Þ EDDDD you're Awesome

7. Jordan, head to the forums, and let's get it figured out: social.msdn.microsoft.com/…/threads

Then we'll know what's wrong in these lessons, and what needs to be updated.

Thanks!

8. Quantum, Ha! Well, thanks for reading. We hope these helped!

9. LJ, by "only as powerful as its teachers", do you have any further insights? Do you teach Small Basic?

Thanks!

10. anonymouscommenter says:

hi, am now learning vb.net take me through how to load a picture on a form.

11. Ohene,

This is for Small Basic. Please ask your question in the VB MSDN forum or search for the documentation on MSDN Library.

Thanks!

12. anonymouscommenter says:

Dibêjin Şam şeqire welat je şêrintire.

13. anonymouscommenter says:

Then we'll know what's wrong in these lessons, and what needs to be updated.

spas

14. anonymouscommenter says:

really interesting!!! I like it.. waiting for more 🙂

15. Chris, More? Did you do all these? =^)

16. anonymouscommenter says:

None of these links seem to work anymore.  Is there someplace else I should be looking?

17. Nate,

Yes, we moved the Getting Started Guide to TechNet Wiki. I'll update the links. Thanks!

18. Okay, I updated all the Curriculum links here. You can also find them online on TechNet Wiki: social.technet.microsoft.com/…/16982.small-basic-curriculum-online.aspx

Thanks!

19. anonymouscommenter says:

how can we use while in the small basic

20. anonymouscommenter says:

can you answer mu question quickly please???????

21. anonymouscommenter says:

thanks man

22. anonymouscommenter says:

Hi Ed, these lessons are good and all, but when I am looking through the game lessons, I don't find it very helpful as it doesn't explain the code at all you just have to read through it and try to understand it which sometimes doesn't help as you don't know what a certain line or function is for / how to use it for your own purpose.

23. anonymouscommenter says:

I really want to know how to do collision detection but I can't as it doesn't actually explain the code and I don't understand it…

24. anonymouscommenter says:

Hi, my smallbasic dictionary isn't working, can you help me to find the problem?(I don't know, my code is wrong or that's for some thing else) I tried your codes in lesson 2.5 but it didn't work. I really don't know what's wrong.

25. anonymouscommenter says:

Hi Ed. I think smallbasic is so fun, thank you!  I've learned text window completely but not graphic window, I'm just pro with turtle!

Actually, I began smallbasic this year at school and I really want to learn more, but I need some ideas to practice them, can you give me some suggestions? thanks.

26. anonymouscommenter says:

is it possible to define a shape and then move it? ( like turtle or something like that, but for example a line). thanks.

27. Negarina,

Unfortunately, there's a bug in Small Basic where the Dictionary site updated their API, which broke the Dictionary object. Something similar happened with the Flickr object, which was fixed in Small Basic 1.1.

Small Basic 1.2 will fix the Dictionary object.

28. … The status is that we're currently done building 1.2. We are testing it and ironing out any bugs. So we'll publish it when we get the bugs ironed out.

Thanks!

29. SBC, that's great! Glad you're learning TextWindow and Turtle! Yes, GraphicWindow is a great next step!

Let me know what your age is. If you're 13 or under, we will add your quote to our testimonials blog post here: blogs.msdn.com/…/small-basic-elementary-student-testimonials.aspx

Thanks!

30. SBC… oh and your age when you first started learning Small Basic… just in case you started a year or so ago. It might be better to post it on the Testimonials blog post as a comment so that we don't miss your answer. Thanks!

31. Negarina, can you ask in the forum for advice on best practices for animations? We have a lot of pros there: social.msdn.microsoft.com/…/threads

Thanks!

32. anonymouscommenter says:

Yow man thank you so much i just started collage and i wanna be Computer Engineer, I was looking for these kind of instructive articles, and finally i found one. im on 1.2 for now yet i'll complete until the end. At least i will have some information until university

Thanks again ! great work

33. anonymouscommenter says:

Thank you so much for these, i am up to lesson 4 and have spent 6 hours on and off, i really like how you have written it like your talking to me. Well done for creating a very simple useful tut

34. Fantastic, Kaan! Glad you're putting it to use.

Sweet, Insist! We're glad we nailed the voice of the lessons!

35. hooly woo says:

I fnd diz wbsit hrd and booorang mak it beta and moor smpley

1. hooly woo says:

yeah I agree with hooly woo

1. hooly woo says:

same hooly woo makes a great point

1. I agree with Hooly Woo agreeing with Hooly Woo.

2. Less words? More pictures?

36. Yuneeq says:

this website is really bad

1. Is it all the words?

37. Grace says:

Hi,

I am using Programming Games with small basic and I am stuck in this one spot, I was wondering if you could help me.