What are the 14 Keywords of Small Basic?

In the Small Basic FAQ, it mentions there are 14 keywords:

What are the unique features of the Small Basic language?

• Size
    The Small Basic language consists of just 14 keywords.

==========

Examples…

If, Then, EndIf

If (Clock.Hour < 12) Then
  TextWindow.WriteLine("Good Morning World")
EndIf

Else

We can shorten two if..then..endif statements to be just one by using a new word, else.

If we were to rewrite that program using else, this is how it will look:

If (Clock.Hour < 12) Then
TextWindow.WriteLine("Good Morning World")
Else TextWindow.WriteLine("Good Evening World")
EndIf

Goto

If (i < 25) Then
Goto start
EndIf

For, To, EndFor

For..EndFor is, in programming terms, called a loop.  It allows you to take a variable, give it an initial and an end value and let the computer increment the variable for you.  Every time the computer increments the variable, it runs the statements between For and EndFor.

This program prints out numbers from 1 to 24 in order:

For i = 1 To 24
TextWindow.WriteLine(i)
EndFor

Step

But if you wanted the variable to be incremented by 2 instead of 1 (like say, you wanted to print out all the odd numbers between 1 and 24), you can use the loop to do that too.

For i = 1 To 24 Step 2
TextWindow.WriteLine(i)
EndFor

While, EndWhile

The While loop is yet another looping method, that is useful especially when the loop count is not known ahead of time.  Whereas a For loop runs for a pre-defined number of times, the While loop runs until a given condition is true. In the example below, we’re halving a number until the result is greater than 1.

number = 100
While (number > 1)
TextWindow.WriteLine(number) number = number / 2
EndWhile

Sub, EndSub

A subroutine is a portion of code within a larger program that usually does something very specific, and that can be called from anywhere in the program.  Subroutines are identified by a name that follows the Sub keyword and are terminated by the EndSub keyword. Below is a program that includes the subroutine and calls it from various places.

PrintTime()
TextWindow.Write("Enter your name: ")
name = TextWindow.Read()
TextWindow.Write(name + ", the time now is: ")
PrintTime()

Sub PrintTime
TextWindow.WriteLine(Clock.Time)
EndSub

And, ElseIf

If  percentage >= 75 Then

TextWindow.WriteLine(“The student’s grade is A.”)

ElseIf  percentage < 75 And percentage >= 60  Then

TextWindow.WriteLine(“The student’s grade is B.”)

ElseIf  percentage < 60 And percentage >= 35 Then

TextWindow.WriteLine(“The student’s grade is C.”)

Else

TextWindow.WriteLine(“The student’s grade is D.”)

EndIf

Or

Sub subRainyCount

If Rainy = “y” Or Rainy = “Y” Then

RainyCount = RainyCount + 1

EndIf

EndSub

Why are there 16 Keywords instead of 14?

Okay, so that was a bit of a joke. Sorry if it was lost on you. Usually when you say/read/hear “Of the X items, we’ll cover Y of them…” the Y number is smaller than the X number, not larger.

“And” and “Or” are actually Operators, and they don’t count as the Keywords.

So the Keyword list looks like this:

Else
Then
To
While

And the Operator list:

And
Or

If you’d like to write up some short explanations of some of those keywords, I’ll add your explanations above the examples. Just leave the suggested text in the comments!

Thanks!

– Tall Basic Ed

1. Ed,thanks for your summary. And  I had copied it for further study.

2. you should have gone rid of the "THEN"- keyword. It would work fine without. "While" doesn't need it, and the interpreter always complains that I forgot it instead of directly putting it in…

3. Jay says:

So, maybe I'm missing something, but, given a total of 14 keywords, how are you able to showcase 16 of them?

4. Hari says:

Like Jay said, 16 out of 14 doesn't make sense.

5. I think "And" and "Or" are not the keywords but operators like "+", "-", and etc.

6. User Ed says:

The 16 was a joke. I'll be more specific and add that in.

Thanks!

7. Great work Ed!

This is a big help for starters. I did not know that there is a keyword called "Step".

Now I know it. I am your first lucky fan. 🙂

8. smilerg says:

What about SELect on, DIMension etc and all those good things U could do with Qbasic?

9. John Neel says:

I thought the joke was funny. Have a little humor folks.

10. User Ed says:

Smilerg, well this isn't Qbasic, is it? =^)

Small Basic is designed to keep it simple, teach you the basics of BASIC, and move you on to Visual Basic.

Thanks for visiting!

11. User Ed says:

John, thanks! Yeah, I think the joke was lost on them. They didn't understand it was a joke. And, as we all know, jokes are funnier when you explain them! =^)

For example, jokes aren't actually as funny when you explain them… explaining a joke pretty much ruins it, as I just explained the joke about jokes.

12. User Ed says:

Rene, that's an interesting perspective about the "THEN" keyword not being needed. Thanks for the feedback!

13. Thanks  for your summary. Helpful for me

14. User Ed says:

Great, Carlos, I'm glad this is helpful!

15. Elle says:

i have homewor and its all about small basic how would you  create code for a variable, loop, turtle and draw shapes?

16. User Ed says:

Elle,

Sorry for the late answer, but we made resources that teach you all these things…

Getting Started Guide: social.technet.microsoft.com/…/16059.small-basic-getting-started-guide.aspx

Curriculum: social.technet.microsoft.com/…/16299.small-basic-curriculum.aspx

17. PHIL says:

I'm LOOKING FOR A PROGRAMING LANGUAGE THAT INCLUDES CODING TO CREATE GRAPHICS.

SO FOR I ONLY SEE THE 14 COMMAND WORDS.

DOES THIS MS SMALL LANGUAGE HAVE GRAPHICS CODING ??

PLEASE ADVISE

18. PHIL says:

THE 14 KET WORDS DO NOT INCLUDE WORDS TO MAKE GRAPHIC ELEMINTS ?

DAH  //

THANJ YOU WHAT CURRENT FORM OF BASIC [ E.G. QBASIC DOES HAVE

KEY WORDS FOR GRAPHIC EKEMENTS AND ALSO MUSICAL NOTES E.G THE  DISTONIC SCALE

19. HateWin7 says:

Thanks for the obvious 14 commands and 2 operators. Most of these are exactly the same as the original 8 bit basic.

What are the REST of the commands you wrote in?

How do I print? Do an input? output?

How do I write to a data file?  Save a data file? Change directories?

In short, has anyone, anywhere written a translation dictionary from Basic to Small Basic?

I've tried the tutorial that you provide a link to, and it is useless!  It doesn't cover what I need, and it doesn't give me a basic guide to the command structure.  All it does it give me a bunch of examples that DON'T do what I want, and leaves it to me to extrapolate from the examples.

I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THAT.  I have a program.  It's worked since 1987.  I just need to understand what to type in the place of "LPRINT" or "PRINT" to get the the programs to run in Windows7

20. User Ed says:

Phil, that's right. Small Basic is an object-oriented language. It's not command oriented. So it doesn't have keywords for graphics. But it has many objects and methods that do graphics, including the Turtle Graphics object! Please follow the resources I linked to above in order to follow the tutorials and learn about all the capabilities!

21. User Ed says:

Hate,

Yes, that's the goal! We wanted to keep the very basic keywords and operators.

As I mentioned above, Small Basic is an object-oriented language. You print with the WriteLine method in the TextWindow object. You can also print text into the GraphicsWindow. This aligns Small Basic closer to VIsual Basic than to the original BASIC, which is important to teach students professional languages, such as Visual Basic (there's even a Graduate button that turns your code into VB code for you to keep learning the new language), C#, and C++. It also helps for Java.

The goal is to have a Basic and easy language to learn, but to also drive students toward professional programming as directly as possible.

The tutorial is actually a library of many different lessons, that give a nice tour through many of the Small Basic objects.

No. Nobody would write a translation dictionary from BASIC to Small Basic because Small Basic is an object-oriented language.

Is the curriculum and getting started guide useless? Yes, if you're trying to use it to learn BASIC. But if you're trying to learn Small Basic, I haven't heard it called useless. Only useful.

You don't replace LPRINT and PRINT. Those are commands. You use objects (TextWindow) and methods (WriteLine). It's not one for one. That's why it isn't "Small BASIC" and aligned with BASIC. It's "Small Basic" to align more with Visual Basic.

For example, in Visual Basic, you would use the Console object:

msdn.microsoft.com/…/aa309383%28v=vs.71%29.aspx

You use the same Writeline method. So Small Basic maps toward that, replacing the Console object with the TextWindow object.

22. the_ems_master says:

hi this site is not what I am looking for. I have a piece on homework about what a 'for loop' and a 'While loop' are? but  I have no clue what they are!!! Please can someone help me?

23. User Ed says:

EMS Master, the Forum is the fastest way to get answers: social.msdn.microsoft.com/…/threads

So your homework is likely already due, but to answer your question, I previously put together some fantastic content for students that explains For and While loops…

…

blogs.msdn.com/…/small-basic-three-loop-counters.aspx

History of the For Loop

blogs.msdn.com/…/the-history-of-the-for-loop.aspx

Small Basic: Goto Loops

blogs.msdn.com/…/small-basic-goto-loops.aspx

24. unknown says:

hi I really like the fact that you added the conditional statement. however you need to write more about them

1. Good point. Here’s a great article about Control Statements like the ones in the blog post: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/14075.small-basic-control-statements.aspx

25. zeynab says: