Small Basic 1.0 is here!

After more than two years of pre-release versions of Small Basic, we are finally releasing the 1.0 version.  Although we know that there a number of features we still haven’t implemented, we feel that Small Basic now has a solid set of the core features that make it useful to beginners.  We hope to get everyone onto the 1.0 version so that we have a common baseline to move forward.

Over the past few months, we have been focused largely on our online experience and also the Small Basic translation efforts.  There is a huge demand for Small Basic outside the US, and so we want to help beginners in other parts of the world to get started in programming.  Here’s what’s new:

• Small Basic 1.0Small Basic 1.0 is a minor update to version .95 with the following changes:
    • The Icelandic language was added through the great work of a volunteer in the community.  (Thanks to Jon B Georgsson!)  The addition of Icelandic brings us to 20 languages.  That’s pretty amazing and demonstrates both the strong demand for local versions of Small Basic for and also the great support we have from the global Small Basic community.
    • We updated the Small Basic setup and version information.
    • Some editorial bugs were fixed in the strings used by Small Basic.
    • The End User License Agreement (EULA) has been updated to reflect that Small Basic is no longer considered ‘Pre-Release’ software.

Although we haven’t really added new features in 1.0, besides Icelandic, we do have a list of feature requests from users, and we are looking at how we can add them in the future.  I also want to let you know about some new Small Basic extensions from our friends at the TeachingKidsProgramming website.  More details below…

TeachingKidsProgramming provides free courseware to introduce kids (ages 10+) to programming.  New in this compatible release of the Small Basic Fun extensions (http://extendsmallbasic.codeplex.com) is a recipe ‘(m)adLibs’ which you can use to introduce the MVC pattern to your kids.  It includes several new objects, such as a Viewer and a Parser to support teaching of this pattern.

• New Small Basic website on MSDN – A lot of work has gone into re-creating the Small Basic website.  We hope you will find it useful.  In addition to a new look and cleaner design, we have also partnered with Computer Science for Kids to publish sample chapters from several of their Small Basic E-books on our site.  We hope you will find these high-quality guides useful for learning and having fun with Small Basic.
  • Translated Curriculum – We’ve been receiving requests from abroad for translated versions of our teaching curriculum.  So over the last several months we have put a lot of effort into making this curriculum available in more languages.  This is a work in progress as some languages still have English screenshots, but we do now have all languages translated.  You can find the curriculum here.

Finally, we’d like to thank the Small Basic community for your passion around this product and for teaching young people the joys of computer programming.  The Small Basic Virtual Team shares your passion, and we look forward to our continued partnership on this project.

The Small Basic Virtual Team

1. Kelly H says:

Thanks, team!  I appreciate the constant stream of improvements you've released!

2. Dan says:

I'm still getting 0.95 from the download link.

3. Mike Hedley (Microsoft) says:

Thank you for your commment. Yes, some users are still seeing version 0.95 (5.7M in size) due to server caching issues. Hopefully this issue will clear up later today.  Please note that the 1.0 version is 5.74M.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

4. ArthurZ says:

FYI: When I clicked on the Small Basic 1.0 link I got the 0.95 msi downloaded, not 1.0 as I expected.

5. ArthurZ, sorry for the inconvenience, all the servers are still replicating and this takes some time.

6. Bob Jones says:

V1.0 is there now.  You must manually uninstall your cuurent version using add/remove programs before the new version will install.

7. Kevin says:

This is fantastic stuff. Thanks so much for all your efforts!

8. Guillaume says:

May I Have Small Basic 1.0 in french language please !! 🙂

Regards.

Bill

9. Mike Hedley (Microsoft) says:

Thank you for your comment Bill.  All languages are included in the install.  By default you get English, but you can add other languages as optional components when you run setup.  I hope this answers your question.

10. Brian says:

I run a program. The dark screen does not appear and I can't tell if my program actually worked?

11. stacy says:

Very nice resource and easier and fun way to learn for kids, I am going to link this page and spread the word on my site for education help http://www.singlemomeducationhelp.com .

12. armin says:

may i have small basic with persian language?

13. Armin, Small Basic is translated by volunteers. However, we have not been able to find one for Persian. If you are willing to help us, please send us a mail at smlocfdb@microsoft.com and I will let you know the next steps to take.

Sandra

14. Brian, can you please send your program to smlocfdb@microsoft.com so we can take a look and help you out with this issue?

Best regards,

Sandra

15. jdalino says:

I'm a student and I have a subject that requires me to write a report on programming language compilers. I was tasked to write on Small Basic. I was wondering if you guys have documentation on how the small basic compiler interprets each statement of code. Thank you!

16. nimet says:

bu program çok güzel

17. Tullio says:

I love SB. When next version with new feature?

18. BFOX says:

DOES IT EXIST IN FRENCH PLEASE , IF NOT WHEN COULD IT BE DONE ,

19. OVR says:

Just can't wait for the next release.

Any peeks?

20. Vivananda says:

Please do release a version for MAC OS X.

It's the best compiler for kids programming available now, and the closest to old good BASIC.

21. I want to make a software in urdu language. says:

Hi,I Live in Pakistan and my national language is (Urdu).I want to make a Software in Urdu language but i have some problems with small basic software when i write in urdu language i found some erros.Pleas help me how i can make a software in Urdu?

22. Tony says:

I cannot get Small Basic to play .wav files or .mp3 files using XP. Is there a fault with Small Basic?

23. Peter Brown says:

When I save a file it is still using *.sb not *.smallbasic by default. Was surposed to be fixed in v0.9?

We use both Scratch and Smallbasic extensively in teaching Computer studies and the conflict is still annoying. We try to teach them to save SmallBASIC with .smallbasic on the end manually but they spell it wrong!

24. kristina maroslavac says:

ovaj program je tako supe i ne želim da nikada ukinu

25. karla marković says:

ee evo je tako cool i tako je dobar program

26. FYI... says:

Cool!

FYI Kids are baby goats… unless Planet of the apes was wrong and its the goats that are going to dominate the future earth, I think you mean "children".

The grammar nazi.

27. Hello gentlemen I leave a link with a Small Basic program that solves the equation line y = mx + n, published on the blog work for students

This is a work of integrating ICT with mathematics that I have developed in school (www.scms.edu.ar)

We obtained very good results for the student to describing the algorithm it reinforces the concept learned in Math

I hope it will be useful to other teachers

regards

carlosfmur1948.wordpress.com/…/la-ecuacion-de-la-recta-y-mxn

28. A kid... says:

I used to use this in beta. GR8 (I NO THIS IS A LATE COMMENT, I JUST UPGRADED)

29. SmallBasicisdabest! says:

I love this! I got ot from a pc mag disk : PC User

Thanx to u and the magazine! 🙂

30. Jeff says:

Just a quick 'THANK YOU' for the developer(s) of SB. Not only has it renewed my never realized desire to learn programming (since ~ 1980), it has also captured the attention of my two young daughters. I absolutely love watching them when they've went a little beyond the PDF and figured out something on their own. The rewards are great!

31. Chris says:

Hi! Very nice program!

Can I help in translating it to Greek?

32. Cris, thank you for offering the translation of the User Interface into Greek. I will contact you via e-mail about this.

33. Scifriguy says:

Seems like SmallBasic, a very noble venture, is simply dead in the water with no updates in over a year.  Unfortunately it doesn't upconvert to VB.NET as perscribed, where an update "fix" would be very nice indeed.

34. Mahidh says:

I love small basic

35. DaveBolt says:

MS – are you sure you wanna do this? Two quotes from Edsger W. Dijkstra, a Dutch computer scientist, and winner of the 1972 Turing Award. He was an early and influential proponent of "structured programming."

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

I think of the company advertising "Thought Processors" or the college pretending that learning BASIC suffices or at least helps, whereas the teaching of BASIC should be rated as a criminal offence: it mutilates the mind beyond recovery.

en.wikiquote.org/…/Edsger_W._Dijkstra

36. User Ed says:

Dave, are we sure we want to do something that was started in 2008?

Is that your question?