Happy Birthday Small Basic

Marking the first year anniversary since it went public, we’re announcing the 7th release of Small Basic CTP.  This release adds localized support to four new languages, extending Small Basic’s reach to Chinese, French, German, Italian, Korean, Russian, Spanish and Turkish!

In addition, this release sports a cool new feature called “Graduate”, that allows you to port your Small Basic program seamlessly to Visual Basic.

Download v0.7 here

In addition, this version also comes with the following much requested features and bug-fixes:

1. A helpful crash reporting dialog that pops-up whenever your program crashes

2. Fixes to Scrollbar size to make it easier to find in huge documents

3. Fixed crash when a specified image cannot be loaded

4. Fix for foreign keyboards not being able to use AltGr

5. Opacity and Visibility properties for Shapes

6. Make comments and objects more differentiated in syntax color

1. anonymouscommenter says:

Nevermind… same link, but apparently I got an old file the first time.  Happy B-Day!

2. anonymouscommenter says:

I got version 0.6 and the second link doesn’t work. More of a problem for me is that I got the French version and I can’t see how to change the language.

3. anonymouscommenter says:

Graduating to VB doesn’t seem to convert multiple dimensional arrays correctly.

4. anonymouscommenter says:

I can’t seem to use the getOpacity() function.  It complains that it requires 2 parameters, but the introspection only shows the shapename is required.  What’s the 2nd parameter?

5. anonymouscommenter says:

Small Basic is wonderful. I’ve never programmed before, and within hours I was writing novel code! Thanks a bundle, Microsoft developers!

Exclamation point!

6. Thanks Microsoft 🙂 Greetings from Turkey  🙂

7. anonymouscommenter says:

I would like to make a Euro Millions Number picker!

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

8. anonymouscommenter says:

The Publish feature in the Small Basic IDE is really bad, especially as its intended audience is kids.

1) It publishes to a public site on the Internet without asking for confirmation.

2) It published whatever is in the IDE at the time but what if this information contains personal information and/or obscene material?

9. Could I translate it into Romanian?