v0.4 of Small Basic says "Bonjour"

Here it is, finally, the next installment of Small Basic CTP.  Once again, the new v0.4 version comes with a lot of bug fixes, and a new “Timer” object that makes writing games easier.  What really excites me with this release is that Small Basic is completely localizable, and as a start, we’ve localized the UI and the Library Help in French!

Go check it out: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/devlabs/cc950524.aspx

The localization was a community driven effort.  Sandra Aldana and Dioni de Morena Morales have been the main co-ordinators behind the effort and I’d like to thank them for all their efforts.  In addition, the French translation was provided by Thierry Huguet (Microsoft) and Fabien Lavocat (Microsoft Intern).  Many thanks to them too!

The localized documentation will be released out of band as and when they arrive.  If you want to participate in the localization efforts, please feel free to contact me.

1. felix says:

Nice! How do I enable the french version? I’m using Windows XP (german installation). It would be very nice if someone could make a german translation …

2. felix says:

Ha! Found it out myself: I renamed "SmallBasicLibrary.fr.xml" to "SmallBasicLibrary.de.xml" and "Strings.fr.resx" to "Strings.de.resx".

3. JoeHonkie says:

Crashed while loading when I installed it on my Vista X64 box.  Trying it on my XP 32-bit machine now.

4. JoeHonkie says:

All I had to do was uninstall my previous Small Basic install.

Guess I should have thought of that earlier.

5. Pathdrc says:

I don’t see a list of what the changes are – like what bug fixes, and does anything in this version preclude you from using any commands in previous version?

6. RobsonROX says:

Hi, Vijayeg!

I want to help to translate Small Basic to Brazilian Portuguese!

How can i do this?

7. I own a translation from Small Basic Started guide, I wonder if you can upload it to the official website.

thanks

8. how can I get the source code for Small Basic for translate to Spanish?

9. Greg says:

Full access to the file system seems like a bad idea.  This could be chaotic in a classroom setting that has shared computers.  A sandboxed approach, with a sandbox manager in the control panel, would be better.

10. User Ed says:

On this topic, the What's New for v0.4 got it's own blog post here: blogs.msdn.com/…/what-s-new-in-v0-4-of-small-basic.aspx