Microsoft Small Basic v0.3 is here

The next iteration in Microsoft Small Basic’s pre-release cycle is here.  Once again, we’ve taken feedback from the community and are giving you what you asked for.  So, don’t forget to request your favorite feature in our forums (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/smallbasic/threads/)

Download it here

This release features a few features, a bunch of bug fixes and a couple important breaking changes.  Please note these breaking changes because you would have to update some of your programs before they would work in the new version.

First, the features

1. Publish and Import

Remember how you had to copy and paste your program to share it with friends or to post your sample on the forums?  Well, you don’t have to anymore.  Just hit the Publish button and you’ll get back a 6-digit/letter combination code.  This code uniquely identifies your program and your friends can now view and run your program by importing it using this code.

Also, you can view your program by going to http://smallbasic.com/program/ and typing your program code.  For example, I wrote a really simple program and published it.  The id I got back was DCT967.  Everyone can now view this program at: http://smallbasic.com/program/?DCT967

2. Splash Screen

3. Performance optimizations: Makes Small Basic startup faster

Bug Fixes

1. Fixed a lot of regional formatting issues. Decimals now preserve their precision in non-US settings machine.

2. Fixed issues with DateTime formatting in non-US settings machine.

3. Fixed Font Size setting issues.  Font Sizes can now be set once and they take effect right away.

4. Fixed issues with multiple event subscribers.  There can only be one sub routine subscribed to an event now.

5. Added Close Button to the errors window

6. Added sync lock for “CreateWindow” in GraphicsWindow object.  Extenders can now run multi-threaded if they wanted to.

7. Program now exits cleanly after setting the desktop background.

8. GetHeight and GetWidth on ImageList now return the correct pixel height and width respectively

9. Fixed crash that happens when permission to the temporary folder is denied.

Breaking Changes

Here is a list of breaking changes in v0.3.  These are important because you might have to update some of your programs to run on this.

1. Shapes object: The GraphicsWindow has been factored out and there’s now a new Shapes object.  This object contains operations like AddRectangle, AddEllipse, etc.  These methods used to be on GraphicsWindow and now they are no more.  If your program used them, you’d have to modify your program to match the new pattern.

2. ImageList.LoadImage: ImageList.LoadImage no longer takes an “image id” as an argument.  Instead it returns a newly created id for you to use.  For example “pic = ImageList.LoadImage(“c:\myimage.jpg”)”

1. Small Basic says:

For some reason, my previous announcement didn’t hit the front-page. Here it is again! http://blogs.msdn.com/smallbasic/archive/2009/02/10/microsoft-small-basic-v0-3-is-here.asp

2. Joeseph Teed says:

That install link is for version 0.2.

3. Joeseph Teed says:

I see you’ve fixed it.  Note to people who may still have difficulties: clear your cache if you keep getting 2.0!

4. vijayeg says:

Joseph, we did release it before I wrote this blog post.  Sometimes it takes a while before the link gets refreshed on the servers.

5. Small Basic v0.3 was released !I tried Publish that is the new features included. Now, the source code of The Turtle says Happy New Year became accessible by us

6. bobm99@roadrunner.com says:

Is there a programmers referance for small basic??

if so where can I get it..?

7. lation says:

It’s very cool! I hope it will be better and I think my child should like it.

But it will be perfict if i have a chinese version.

Thank u work for the children!

8. Boboho says:

Maaf aku gak bisa pake nya?

Ada yg bisa ngajarin?

( Sorry , I don’t know how to use Small Basic.

Anyone , who want to teach to me ? )

From : Boboho – Indonesia

9. Raycaster says:

Im making a 3d raycasting game with it it looks kinda kool

10. Ricardo Trapp says:

Can I Translate this Program to Brazilian Portuguese?

11. caleb says:

goodness to open the program to learn go to start menu look in programs look for sdmall basic scroll over it and look at the guide listed ez peasy

12. Gingerpuss says:

Being pedantic… shouldn’t it be called SmallBASIC as ‘BASIC’ is an acronym (Beginners All purpose Symbolic Instruction Code)

13. PC says:

Can we stop tryign to turn batch scripting into another VB. We have VB. If MS would like to spread the wealth (of programming) to the masses, simply make VB Professional free and do away with the 50 other IDE’s that do the same thing. Support Java (Not because its superior, because like it or not, its not going ANYWHERE) support C+(+) and VB(A). I think if you need to make the leap into a language from batch, then VB should be it. This ‘Small Basic’ is yet another redundant avenue to bridge a non-existant gap! That is, if one if so inclined to make the leap. If not, maybe batch programming is the best place for you. Anyway, find a a couple platforms and stick with them, how the hades are we supposed to adopt something when there are 100 different ways to do the same thing…This thing on?…

If languages > 10 Then

call fire_ceo

end if

14. C Stevens says:

Small Basic is a (pre-alpha) attempt at an educational tool. That’s it, and for that I can appreciate the effort. This, if handed to an inspired youth, will set them up to understand the logic and creativity of coding with a simple, animated and assistive IDE that will guide them into the Microsoft Stream. Its a blatently self-serving tool, but if it’s picked up by a kid who enjoys it, great!

As for making VB Pro free? Express is decent, though I’d like to be able to write services, code for PDAs, and use alternate databases. Frankly as a hobbyist tool it’s fairly capable. When will we see Small C#, never I hope, but sometimes I miss the simplicity of QuickBASIC and Visual Basic 6. Batch programming, even that’s gone wild with PowerShell. I think it’s time to take up carpentry, well before bandsaw.NET is released.

15. Stephan Wahlen says:

Hey, there Ms Small basc always before it starts – the microsoft standart error-report window pops up, when i klick on the icon

I use WinXP german SP3 all updates etc.

and Small Basic Version 0.4

Can eanyone help me please 😀 ?

16. ae says:

I have the same problem as you, Stephan Wahlen.

17. Cameron says:

v0.3 is bad for me too… let us know when this has been corrected and I’ll be happy to try again.

18. Cameron says:

Admission of fault… I removed, re-installed, and everything’s fine.

v0.4 is fine.

19. HHA says:

I going to try it.

For more info got my site.

20. I wrote Kids and the Apple, and spin offs.  My question, is this the latest version.

21. vijayeg says:

No Edward.  Please check out http://smallbasic.com for the latest version.  The current public release is v0.8.