It’s about to get a heck of a lot easier!
- Oracle Data Access Components for EF and LINQ - Access Oracle databases using Entity Framework and LINQ
- Toad Extension for Visual Studio - Oracle database change management in Visual Studio
Oracle Data Access Using Entity Framework and LINQ
A beta of Oracle Data Access Components (ODAC) for Microsoft Entity Framework and LINQ to Entities is now available on the Oracle Technology Network (OTN). What is this? The ODAC for EF and LINQ is a set of components that bring Oracle data access into the folds of the Microsoft Entity Framework, Language Integrated Query (LINQ), and Model-First development.
If you’ve ever used the Entity Framework or LINQ, you can readily understand how productive these capabilities can be for a developer. Previously, EF and LINQ were not feasible with Oracle.
If you’re not familiar with EF, LINQ, or the concept of Model-First:
- The Microsoft Entity Framework (EF) abstracts the relational, logical database schema and presents a conceptual schema to the .NET application. It provides object-relational mapping for .NET developers.
- LINQ is a .NET data querying language which can query a multitude of data sources using common structured syntax.
- Model-First allows the conceptual model to be created first by the developer. Next, Visual Studio can create DDL scripts to generate the relational database model based on the conceptual model.
Note: The beta includes the 32-bit Oracle Database client 11.2, which can access Oracle Database server 9.2 and higher. It requires Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 and .NET Framework 4.
Speaking of Visual Studio, did you know our friends at Quest Software have been hard at work developing the Toad Extension for Visual Studio? Toad Extension for Visual Studio is a database schema provider (DSP) for Oracle in Visual Studio 2010, and aims to give the full benefits of Visual Studio 2010’s database change management and development features to Oracle databases. This includes offline database design, development and change management, better aligning your Oracle development with the rest of your organization’s application lifecycle management methodology.
Links & Additional Information
ODAC for Microsoft Entity Framework and LINQ
Toad Extension for Visual Studio