Upgrade of SSRS from SQL 2008 R2 to SQL 2012


Yesterday, I encountered a weird scenario where in the SSRS component was failing to upgrade from SQL 2008 R2 to SQL 2012 where in the SQL database engine and all the other components succeeded.

SSRS component upgrade was failing with the below error :

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Setup
------------------------------

The following error has occurred:

A Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) certificate is not configured on the Web site.

 

------------------------------

On checking the Summary logs for the upgrade found that below logs for the SSRS component :

Feature: Reporting Services - Native
Status: Failed: see logs for details
Reason for failure: An error occurred during the setup process of the feature.
Next Step: The upgrade process for SQL Server failed. Use the following information to resolve the error, and then repair your installation by using this command line: setup /action=repair /instancename=MSSQLSERVER
Component name: SQL Server Reporting Services
Component error code: 0x80131500
Error description: A Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) certificate is not configured on the Web site.

As suggested, I tried to repair the SQL server instance and even the repair failed with the below error :

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Setup
------------------------------

The following error has occurred:

The Report Server WMI provider cannot create the virtual directory. This error occurs when you call SetVirtualDirectory and the UrlString is already reserved. To continue, clear all URL reservations by calling RemoveURL and then try again.

 

------------------------------

Now this was a more explanatory error which indicated, that there were certain UrlString already reserved before the SetVirtualDirectory function call occurs.

Thus opened the command prompt with admin privilege and ran the command netsh http show urlacl to list the Reserved URLs.

With the reserved URLs, I was able to remove all those related to the Reports and ReportServer using the commands netsh http delete urlacl url=https://....../Reports/ and netsh http delete urlacl url=https://....../ReportServer/.

Post which I listed all the remaining URLs using the same command netsh http show urlacl and it did not list any URLs related to the Reports and Report Server.

Now when we tried to repair the SSRS component, we succeeded with the repair and eventually the component was upgraded to SQL server 2012 build.

 

Hope this helps !! Happy Reporting !!


Comments (0)

Skip to main content