Smart Card Credential Providers

Vista ships with “Password” and “Smart Card” Credential Providers.  Some vendors are interested in writing custom credential providers.  Check out http://shellrevealed.com/ for latest and up-to-date information on how to write Credential Providers.

Credential Provider Samples are available here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1287ec56-77b4-48c4-8b58-35b7295d6c2c&displaylang=enFor comments or questions about these samples, please contact credprov@microsoft.com.

If you are writing a custom Smart Card credential provider and would like to use the features such as the ones for removal policy, feel free to use the Group Policy settings for the corresponding registry key settings.  Note that you will have to implement the corresponding logic in your code to appropriately log-off or lock work stations which may include removing cached information, etc.

1. bill.correa@2arcanum.com says:

Shivaram:  In looking at the provider samples and info above, I’m wondering if it possible to build our own SmartCard Provider without 3rd party software?  Concept would be to take "blank" smart cards, load digital certs issued by the domain for credentials and configure smart card logons on Vista Bus or Enterprise WITHOUT purchasing/installing a 3rd party software for either client or server?  Is this feasible?  Is there guidance on this somewhere that you know of?

Thanks!

2. shivaram says:

Yes.  You will have to write a "Mini-Driver" (see this blog for card module a.k.a mini driver) for the blank Smart Card purchased and then you will be able load certs on to them and use them.

3. Present says:

Shivaram : I'm working with custom credential provider , your samples doesn't implement the logic about get currently logged in user , what's more , i want to show user name as a edit box instead of a text in CredUI case, and i change the corresponding code , for example ,{SFI_USERNAME, CPFT_EDIT_BOX, L"username"}. but it doesn't work when a click an application with RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR or connect to a share folder which require user name and password.would you like to give me some suggestions?

Thanks!

4. Dharshi says:

Dear Team,

I have implemented the credential provider successfully. also filtered out the default credential provider as i am overlapping the default provider.

Whenever i logon on into my machine, it will show me the tiles for all logged in users. I have also noticed that the keys under SessionData of LogonUI is keep on increasing for every login.

Please give me your views on how to disable the tiles.

Thanks in advance,

Dharshi

5. luis says:

Dear Sir,

It has been some time since our last contact.

Our company, (ACC) Asia Credit Card Production Co. Ltd. is a well-established

Smart Card manufacturer, with production facility in Shenzhen, China.

From our rich experience in making many kinds of RFID cards, we can support you

with a vast range of RFID inlays.  By utilizing our inlays, you can widen you

product range immediately.  Time and costs for product design, sampling can

be much reduced.

Products we offer:

– Material : PVC, PETG

– Antenna  : Automatic wiring (HF), Air Core Coil (LF/HF), Etched Circuit (HF/UHF)

– Combi     : LF+HF, HF+HF, HF+UHF

– HF Chips : NXP: Mifare 1k/4k, Desfire EV1 2k/4k/8k, Mifare Plus, Icode, Ultralight.

: Infineon: SLE66R35, My-D.

: Fudan: FM11RF08

– LF Chips : Atmel: AT5577, Q-5

: EM: EM4200

: NXP: Hitag

– UHF        : Alien Higg3, Impinj Monza

– Readers  : HF and UHF handheld, desktop and long range readers

Should you have any requirements for the mentioned products and services

please feel free to send us your enquiries or sample requests.

Looking forward to hearing from you. Thank you

Luis Liu

Asia Credit Card Production Ltd.

Tel: +86-755-2978 0288 Ext. 8388

Fax: +86-755-2953 0336

Cell: +86-138243 58479

luis@asia-cc.com.hk

6. Smart Card Credential Provider says:

Hello,

I'm a new developer and building a Virtual Smart Card OS logon mechanism. I think my next step

it building a customized credential provider.

I've developed a minidriver and a virtual reader.  Questions:

1. Where can I find a sample for my needs?

2. With whom exactly should my credential provider talks? to the reader?