XNA Game Studio 4.0, Xbox 360, and Indie Games

News from the XNA team blog:

• Game Studio 4.0 for Xbox will be released "later this fall"  (yes, that is deliberately vague :-)
  • At that time we will start accepting 4.0 games into peer review
  • There will be a 90 day window when you can submit both 3.1 and 4.0 games
  • After 90 days, only 4.0 games will be accepted

Unless you are nearly done, now would be a great time to upgrade!

1. Edding3000 says:

Niceeeee..

XNA 5.0 for xboxs720 with DX11 please 😛

2. Thaina says:

/me +Like {Edding3000}

3. Morten says:

Too bad upgrading means using Visual Studio 2010 which, no offense, runs like a slug.

Even with some amazing new added features, I find it amazing that a program which is essentially "just" an editor without any graphical "shine" can hog your computer like that.

4. Nonez says:

Visual studio 2010 runs fine try upgrading your legacy hardware. ;]

5. cobalthex says:

try the express version, it runs nice and fast since theres nothing in it 😛

6. Andrey Gayvoronsky says:

Hello. I have one question :) Is you the same guy who developed Allegro? :) At least in copyright same name:

A game programming library.

By Shawn Hargreaves, Oct 29, 2009.

Just interesting :) Recently i started to port it to Silverlight (to port one game), so interesting how is useless my work :)

7. Andrey Gayvoronsky says:

if you interesting, here is my port:

8. ShawnHargreaves says:

I made Allegro back when I was in college, many years ago now :-)

9. Andrey Gayvoronsky says:

hmmm….sounds like my work was totally useless :)

But anyway nice to meet you :)

World is smaller and smaller each year :)

10. ShawnHargreaves says:

> hmmm….sounds like my work was totally useless :)

Why?

It seems pretty neat to me, for anyone who wants to use Allegro style APIs to make a game for the web.

11. Andrey Gayvoronsky says:

Right now i'm sure XNA will be ported/included to Silverlight by Microsoft someday :) Not? 😉

12. ShawnHargreaves says:

> Right now i'm sure XNA will be ported/included to Silverlight by Microsoft someday

We haven't announced anything about what we are planning for after XNA v4 yet.

13. Andrey Gayvoronsky :) says:

It was not a question :) It's just my vision. There is already software port of XNA (Silver Arcade), so it's just a question of time – official support of XNA on Silverlight :) just my vision :)

14. Mattan360 says:

At elementary school we had a game running on Allegro 😛

15. ardi says:

i have created a game using xna 4.0 now i want to know if i can use the same code to work on windows phone

16. ShawnHargreaves says:

> now i want to know if i can use the same code to work on windows phone

Most of the XNA API is the same on all platforms, but some features are a little different.

Why not try it and find out for yourself?

17. Kristafer Vale says:

So. . . . any idea when XNA 4.0 Final will be available? I'm currently ready to start a new project but don't want to start till the latest version is available since seems like it'll be a fair amount of work to convert from a 3.1 game to a 4.0 game.

I know i know, no one knows for sure, it's all hush hush, but do you think it'll still be "sometime this fall" ? or are we more likely after the Christmas at this point?

Sorry Sheawn you're the most directly connected person in all of this that I follow and just looking for any kinda info available for when I'll be able to deploy on the xbox using 2010/xna 4.0.

18. Kristafer Vale says:

Sorry for misspelling your name m8! I'm an idiot. :)

19. ShawnHargreaves says:

Kristafer: the information in this post and on the team blog is still accurate.

20. Kristafer Vale says:

Fair enough thanks man.

21. Kristafer Vale says:

LOL Talk about ask and ye shall recieve!

create.msdn.com/…/xblig_40_submissions

The day is almost here! This Friday, the final version of XNA Game Studio Connect 4.0 will be released, and with it, the submission pipeline for Xbox LIVE Indie Games made in XNA Game Studio 4.0 will open!

WOOT!

22. Kevin Gadd says:

Dropping support for publishing games based on 3.1 is a terrible decision. If you force people to move up to XNA 4 you're forcing them to reduce the number of people who can play their games on PC (primarily due to HiDef/Reach) and reducing their chances of actually breaking even on development costs. This is made worse by the fact that moving from 3.1 to 4.0 is not a painless port like moving from 2 to 3 was, so a developer trying to finish off their game must now suddenly find time for a port. You've effectively set a release date for every developer using XNA 3.1, no matter how good their game is or how much longer it needs to ship.

Why are you dropping support for publishing XNA 3.1 games? It doesn't cost you anything: Games that were already shipped with 3.1 still have to work, so it's not as if you can suddenly stop deploying and supporting the framework. Why not just keep the old Creators' Club app from 3.1 around and let people use it to publish old games built with 3.1?

In my opinion this is further evidence that whoever makes the decisions about XBLIG intends to kill the program off and redirect its resources to Windows Phone 7. I hope that you can communicate back to the decision-makers that dropping XNA 3.1 support is not a good decision.

23. ShawnHargreaves says:

> In my opinion this is further evidence that whoever makes the decisions about XBLIG intends to kill the program off and redirect its resources to Windows Phone 7.

I love this conspiracy theory, but it really doesn't make any sense if you think it through.

If we intended to kill off one thing and redirect resources somewhere else, why on earth would we have just put all this effort into implementing, testing, and releasing a new version of our product for that first thing?

"kill off" and "redirect resources" usually means you don't get new versions of that product any more :-)

24. ibrahim from Turkey says:

speaking on behalf of (I believe many developers world over), I repeat the guy at the top of this thread, I copy verbatim,

XNA 5.0 for xboxs720 with DX11 please 😛

emphasis on DX11 for xna 5.0, we dont care about xbox AT ALL, we just want our managed directx as fast as possible, God , Shawn, I know your are a super guy, but this whole XBOX stuff boggling down managed directx is getting too much on some people like me. I WANT TO DEVELOP C# APPS UTILIZING DIRECTX BUT NO C++, I KNOW YOU GUYS UNDERSTAND WHAT I'M TRYING TO SAY.

PLEASE GIVE US WHAT WE WANT. THAAANNK YOUUU.