FullTrust Means FullTrust

One of the items on my long list of blog todo’s has been a change that the security team has been calling “FullTrust Means FullTrust” internally.  Basically, this change means that demands for identity permissions will now always succeed in FullTrust, where they may have failed in previous runtime versions.  Eugene beat me to the punch on this one, and has a good post up explaining the change and the reasoning behind it.  Definitely worth a read if you’re interested in one of the bigger changes in security for Whidbey.

1. There’s a ton of new and enhanced security features coming with the v2.0 release of the CLR.  However,…

2. There’s a ton of new and enhanced security features coming with the v2.0 release of the CLR.  However,…

3. Karthikeyan says:

Shawn, I’m using v1.1 for my windows application, which is a client/server communicated thru remoting (server activated). I’m usging StrongNameIdentityPermission to secure a method call in my Server component. which means only the application signed with my key pair can get access to this method. So since my Server component is in a seperate machine and that too server activated No malicious user can bypass this isn’t. I read the article by Eugene Bobukh about "FullTrust Means Full Trust" there he said about creation of AppDomain etc…but this method can’t be achived in my case isn’t?

More over What is "FullTrust" means ? where can I assign my app is a FullTrust ?

4. Ariston Daramyuda says:

Is there any steps for .NET Framework 2 to protect our assembly. It seem I have problem after signing my assembly still the other application that doesn’t have the key still can use my assymbly. I have been set many assembly with different keys, but still after I create other application that doesn’t set a key can reference into my assembly and use any methods that I want it secret.

5. shawnfa says:

Hi Ariston,

Strong name signing does not prevent an application without your key from calling your methods, it simply gives your assembly a unique name.  It sounds like you’ll want to use the StrongNameIdentityPermission with a demand for your key.  This will prevent partial trust code without your key from calling into your APIs.  However, it will not prevent FullTrust code from doing the same.

-Shawn

6. shawnfa says:

Hi Ariston,

-Shawn

7. Ishita Singh says:

Full Trust means unrestricted permissions to system resources. The GAC has FullTrust because it’s on the local harddisk i.e  code is allowed to do anything in the framework.

We can change Security policy using caspol.exe or .NET Framework Configuration tool.

8. Ishita Singh,Bangalore says:

9. A while back I wrote about the performance penalty of loading an assembly with an Authenticode signature