Speaking at AIMIA Victoria Wed August 22

OK, reboot. I am speaking at AIMIA (Victoria) on Wed August 22nd.

Design–led Innovation

Just when we think we can’t deliver interactive products and services any faster, a new technology wave comes along that enables us to work even more rapidly. This comes at a price, though: innovation tends to be driven by the technology – “what can we do?”, rather than “what should we do?”. Traditionally, design disciplines of all types start by understanding a need, then envisioning a solution to fit. Is there even time for design in the age of mashups? Or, is design not optional in today’s market?

Microsoft has recognised that “user experience” lies at the core of its continued success as a platform company - hence the creation of a new role: “User Experience Evangelist”. In this presentation Shane Morris, User Experience Evangelist for Microsoft Australia, will discuss how he sees design leading innovation in consumer and enterprise markets into the future.

1. Chubby says:

"User Experience Evangelist" for "Microsoft Australia" … isnt that like saying "Weight loss specialist" for "McDonalds"?

I am sure he’s good, but shouldn’t he be working for someone else?

2. Garry Trinder says:

Chubby, I wish I had thought of that line for my job interview! Yeah a good part of the job is evangelising INTO Microsoft about user experience, and the people who do it.

Should I be working for someone else? No way! I’m having way too much fun.

Shanemo

3. Chubby says:

Glad they are least trying to take the next step. Looking forward to seeing your work. Ta.

4. Ian says:

Shane – I’m wondering if the AIMIA talk will be kinda based around Silverlight?   The reason I’m interested is that I’m thinking of bringing a client – but not if the talk is technical or product focussed.

If it is about Silverlight etc.. that’s ok.. I’m still looking forward to it!

5. Garry Trinder says:

Hi Ian, no I’m not really focussing on Microsoft technologies at all in this talk. I’ll probably say a bit about Microsoft’s attitude to design/UX, but no, this is not a product presentation.

6. Coincidental to my post on High and Low Fidelity prototyping , I only just found (thanks to Will Tschumy

7. Coincidental to my post on High and Low Fidelity prototyping , I only just found (thanks to Will Tschumy

8. Nick Sayer says:

Hey Shane, enjoyed your presentation.

Particularly interested in the notion of ‘un-design’, though I don’t think there is such a thing. I believe that everything is designed and – like you said – everyone is a designer.

MySpace came up in question time. I too find MySpace aesthetically repulsive, but to call it bad design, I think, is to miss the greater design triumph – It’s filled a massive need and people love using it.

Extending the same thought to Chubby’s comment above re the merits of working with Microsoft, I would think that Microsoft is one of the most significant ‘design’ organisations of our generation – albeit not on an aesthetic level. I can see how working with them might be fun.

9. I am leading a discussion around my “Design-led Innovation” talk for a Melbourne UX Community of Practice

10. I am leading a discussion around my “Design-led Innovation” talk for a Melbourne UX Community of Practice

Skip to main content