I recently did a study to evaluate the bandwidth requirements for an outsourced EPM 2007 deployment.
The Tool Fiddler was used to measure the http traffic (http://www.fiddlertool.com).
The bandwidth is hard to estimate with EPM because the amount of data transferred depends of the customization done with the default product:
- Data displayed is dynamic and depends on the profile of the user
- The security of the user changes the amount of data shown, a typical user only sees the data he has permission to see
- The amount of data displayed in views depends of the selected fields
The measures were done with an administrator account, so that it gives a maximum value.
Typical usage and measure:
Project Web Access operations:
- With an empty IE cache
- Then using the cache
- Initial opening with an empty cache
- Full Save
- Incremental Save (10 % of full size)
Reporting (using Reporting Services)
- Reports displayed in HTML
The users are distributed around the world
|Geography and Peak usage||
This is just an example of measure, and it cannot be generalized. It depends on the size of projects and the reports.