Recently, when I to write a SharePoint Server Object Model code snippet to fetch some list items, I came across this exception at “new SPSite(requestUrl)” method call. I was just wondering what could be the possible reason and after few minutes of browsing I found out there are multiple reasons that could contribute to this exception, which are as follows:
– Insufficient privileges to SQL Server
– Administrator on the Sharepoint Server
– Part of the WSS_ADMIN_WPG
– Farm Administrator
– The Application Pool (for WSS Site and Central Admin) uses the same user
After ensuring everything in the above list, still it throws the same exception. Then, I changed my target platform in project properties to x64, as my DEV machine is 64 bit, then everything worked perfect. So, if you’ve a 64 bit machine please change your target platform to either x64 or “Any CPU”, which will resolve this issue.