– Very few scenarios require that a previous version of MDAC is used
– Use as a last resort! Not always successful and several caveats to be aware of.
– MDAC Rollback is not recommended as it might un stabilize the OS and even lead to reinstalling of OS.
– MDAC 2.6 and above have rollback built into the installer (DASETUP.EXE)
– Pre-MDAC 2.6, use Component Checker to rollback.
– Either Component Checker or DASETUP rollback will not rollback all files
– SQL Server specific files such as netlibs, drivers and providers not rolled back.
– Known issues with MDAC 2.6 rollback:
322170 PRB: Rollback from MDAC 2.6 Service Pack 2 Refresh Fails
– Component Checker rollback will not work on SFP Operating Systems (Windows Me, 2000 and XP)
– For SFP Operating Systems you must use DASETUP /U to rollback.
DASETUP.exe will be located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\dasetup