Report Caching is used to improve performance
There are 2 types of caching:
Temporary Cached Report:
– Copy of report in intermediate format stored in the ReportServerTempDB Database.
– Copy is rendered in the desired format when report is requested.
– It is cached on first use.
– Cached copy expires by a predetermined method.
– Is a form of cached report. These reports are built and stored in the Report Server Database in the intermediate format on a predefined schedule and not upon user request.
Report can not be set up to be cached IF:
– Credentials are not stored
– Data Source credentials can not be set to prompt or integrated
Report will not pull from the cache IF:
– Report Parameter Changes
– Report Definition Changes
– Data Source Credentials Change
– Cache Options change
Changing report layout or data source does not affect the saved snapshots
By default, cached reports are saved in ReportServerTempDB
It can be stored in the filesystem, too (saves server round-trips. Only useful for Remote catalogs.)
– This can be configured in RSReportServer.config file
<Add Key=”WebServiceUseFileShareStorage” Value=”true” />
Default Location : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\MSSQL.instance\Reporting Services\RSTempFiles