Here my news blurbs for this week
Atari has announced the arrival of the first AMD-64 optimized game, “Shadow Ops: Red Mercury”. This is good news for 64-bit computing and i can’t wait to see what level of performance optimization this will bring. The big drawback is that there is no 64-bit compatible Windows OS yet out there, it is expceted to be released around mid-2005.
Seems like Abdul Bezrati has developed a nice little suite of demos to show off some latest shadow techniques. The first one demonstrates omni-directional shadow mapping on 2.0 pixel shader hardware. The second one shows off the dynamic generation of a shadow volume using a specially modified mesh and a vertex shader. I have actually implemented a similar technique in the past and it works well, i’ve even done a presentation at XDGX last year showing how to extend this technique to skinned meshes and animated meshes.
Seems like an interesting prospect. At this will definetly push graphics, in general, on portable devices one notch further. Seems like this chip can do alot, including:
- Specifically designed for handsets, the GoForce 3D 4500 features geometry processing for arcade-quality 3D acceleration and gaming.
- Programmable shaders, bilinear and trilinear texture filtering, texture compression, support for six simultaneous textures and a 40-bit colour pipeline for high-resolution detailed images.
- The revolutionary new NVIDIA nPower technology, for better battery life allowing for longer talk time.
- Support for MPEG-4 and H.263 formats for VHS-quality recording and playback.
- A 3.0 megapixel JPEG codec, for capturing and viewing sharp, crystal clear photos
Curious how much power it eats up. Hope it doesn’t need two extra power connectors like thoses recent NVIDIA video cards 😉
Looks like it might actually happen this time! Seems like there has been some casting news on front for this movie and it is even set for release in 2005. Of course like most video game based movies, it will likely suck plot wise. But being a big Doom fan, I am still curious how it will turn out!