Announcing: VS.NET Adapter Framework Wizard Sample and Socket Adapter Sample

How about a little: File-New-BizTalk Server Adapter Framework Wizard inside VS.NET

This wizard makes it super easy to getting started with the adapter base classes by stepping you through the creation of both receive and send-side adapters in C# including the receive handler/end-point properties and it uses VS outlining to hide the parts of the adapter framework that are less relevant to building adapters.  All in all this wizard makes it easier to get building with the adapter framework so if you plan to build an adapter grab it today.

Also included are an example socket-based adapter and a whitepaper describing how to use the wizard and building adapters.  This deliverable complements the super detailed whitepaper that Kevin released earlier this month.

Please read the readme, and in particular you must have the SDK Refresh installed as it contains the updated base-classes. Needless to say full source code to the adapter wizard is included and let me know if there are any issues with this first release that need to be addressed. Get it here.

Thanks to Boudewijn van der Zwan from Unisys for his collaboration with me on this one.  Now go build some adapters and enter the developer competition by August 31st (time is ticking), odds are high that you will win big!

1. Jody says:

I think that SocketMsgContext.cs is missing from the Adapter Wizard zip file.

2. Raju - harik98@hotmail.com says:

I tried creating new project using the Wizard.

On Clicking finish it gives the error Microsoft.samples.base.adapter dll not found.

Also on compilation it gives the following list of errors

Please help on this.

F:KN-BiztalkProjectDevKNEDIAdapterRun-TimeFileReceiveFileAdapterProperties.cs(27): The type or namespace name ‘Samples’ does not exist in the class or namespace ‘Microsoft’ (are you missing an assembly reference?)

F:KN-BiztalkProjectDevKNEDIAdapterRun-TimeFileReceiveFileAdapterProperties.cs(34): The type or namespace name ‘ConfigProperties’ could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

F:KN-BiztalkProjectDevKNEDIAdapterRun-TimeFileReceiveFileReceiver.cs(60): The type or namespace name ‘ControlledTermination’ could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

F:KN-BiztalkProjectDevKNEDIAdapterRun-TimeFileTransmitFileTransmitAdapterBatch.cs(42): The type or namespace name ‘AsyncTransmitterBatch’ could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

F:KN-BiztalkProjectDevKNEDIAdapterRun-TimeFileTransmitFileTransmitAdapterBatch.cs(47): The type or namespace name ‘AsyncBatchedTransmitter’ could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

F:KN-BiztalkProjectDevKNEDIAdapterRun-TimeFileTransmitFileTransmitAdapterBatch.cs(148): The type or namespace name ‘TransmitterMessage’ could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

3. Scott (MSFT) says:

Do you have the SDK refresh installed?

4. Raju says:

Yes I have installed SDK refresh.

The installation of MSI was also successful.

But when used the wizard for new project it gave an Microsoft.Samples.BizTalk.Adapters.BaseAdapter

not found error.

5. Raju says:

After Compiling the Base Adapter project it is working OK. Thanks

6. mark says:

Hi, I have the same problem as Raju. Where is the base adapter is it the sample file adaper? Tryed to use this but the wizard stil complains. If i manually add a ref to this assembly if accepts the namespace but complains about:…does not implement inherited abstract member ‘Microsoft.Samples.BizTalk.Adapters.BaseAdapter.ReceiverEndpoint.Add(string…

7. mark says:

Found it, it was the adaperscommon dir.

8. Scott (MS) says:

If it doesn’t install right go compile the base adapter sample after you have installed the SDK refresh and it should work. If not let me know.

9. Raju says:

I tried to create custom adapter using the wizard.After creating the files i tried to add the adapter to Biztalk admin.It gives the following error :

"Another object with same key properties already exists."

I check the registry for the duplicate record i could not find anything.

Please help.

10. Felipe Roque says:

Hello!

Cool, how about a wizard for custom pipeline components and for custom funtoids? That would also be very nice,developers could save a lot of time.

Thank you.

Felipe.

11. Mitesh says:

Hi,

I too have the same problem of the missing assembly.

Any solution to it?

12. Daniel L. says:

Hi,

nice timing with the vs.net adapter wizard, since I will have to develop my first adapter without any deeper knowledge of BizTalk.

Well, I realized that the receiver framework uses the System.Threading.ThreadPool for receive Operations. Since most of the adapters are in-process I wondered wether this could become a bottleneck in the app. Other articles always tell me that ThreadPool is for very short-lived, nonblocking operations only, since the overall number of threads limited per process is limited. I was thinking about creating dedicated threads for receive operations.

Does the Adapter wizard generate really well-performing code, or will it just give me some working code and a good place to start, with improvements needed for high-perf adapters? Would/does MS use this architecture for their adapters?

Thanks.

13. Daniel Losch says:

Really helpful. BizTalk rocks.

14. Rajesh Sharma says:

I used the wizard to create an adapter for Inproc (not isolated) host. When wizard generates the code after successfully going through all the pages, I get following error message "Exception from HRESULT: 0x80041FE0". I don’t think I am entering any wrong data in the wizard dialog boxes. When I look at the folders, it creates only a csharp project file.

For Isolated host the wizard creates the code successfully.

Any help?? Thanks,

15. Boudewijn van der Zwan says:

Rajesh,

I tried to reproduce this but I couldn’t. Please send a message to adapterwizard@hotmail.com telling me exactly all the steps you took. Thanks.

16. ds says:

I just downloaded the Adapter Framework Wizard from http://home.comcast.net/~sdwoodgate/DevelopingaBizTalkServer2004SocketAdapterWithTheAdapterWizard2.zip

and I noticed that a number of files in DevelopingaBizTalkServer2004SocketAdapterWithTheAdapterWizard2.zip file are password protected.

Is this the latest version of the Adapter Framework? Is the password in one of the readme files?

17. Scott Woodgate (MSFT) says:

Use WinZip 9 to unpack it. There is something weird with the built in Windows XP zip that causes this problem.

18. Raj says:

Hi guys,

Did anyone find any answer on that ""Another object with same key properties already exists." error when trying to create a new adapter out of the wizard?

Iam stuck with the same error.Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Raj

19. NISHIL says:

Well I was searching documents to create custom adapter but dint succeed, so I thought ill create one….

Skip to main content