Tech Ed 2009 Demo Files

It is always a blast to talk at Tech Ed and this year was no different.  It was great to get to meet many of you and hear how you are using DataGrid, DataForm, Validation, and RIA Services in your projects today.

As promised, here are the files for the demos that I showed in my presentations.

All demos were done on the MIX’09 Silverlight Beta bits and accompanying tools:

WUX 303: Building Data-Driven RIAs with Microsoft ASP.NET and Microsoft Silverlight

What we covered:

• Navigation, browser integration, permalinks

• Domain methods, filtering, paging, grouping, sorting

• Adding validation metadata

• Windows Authentication

• Writing a different view in ASP.Net and SEO

Watch It: (Right now it is restricted to Tech Ed attendees)

WUX 308: Delivering Rich User Experiences for Business Applications with Microsoft Silverlight 3

What we covered:

• Customizing the DataGrid: TemplateColumns, Row Details, events in template columns

• Charts

• Custimizing the DataForm: Using the Display attribute, the Display / Edit templates

• Writing a custom cross-field validation method

• Export to Excel

• DataGrid Copy / Paste with Excel

• Going out of browser

Watch It: (Right now it is restricted to Tech Ed attendees)

Note: If you get a reference error for the Activity control, re-add the dll that is included in the zip.

1. Scott Morrison just published his demo files for his talks at Teched..  He did some great work on

2. slyi says:

Was your session recorded and will it available view online?

3. Jack says:

hi, where can we download ppt files of your talk?

4. Hi Slyi,

I added the links to the recordings, but it looks like for now you had to have attended Tech Ed to watch them.  Hopefully that changes soon.

Hi Jack,

My talks actually didn’t use any slides (crazy I know).  I incorporated what I would normally have used slides for into the “not a slide” page, and the included App.xaml has an interactive slide if you press space or enter.  It all makes sense if you are able to watch the talks.

Hope this helps.

5. Geoff says:

I get the below error despite having SQL 2005 express and SQL Server 2008 installed. Tried as well.

The database ‘C:PROJECTSSILVERLIGHTWUX303MYAPP.303.FINISHEDMYAPP.WEBAPP_DATANORTHWND.MDF’ cannot be opened because it is version 655. This server supports version 612 and earlier. A downgrade path is not supported.

6. Hi Geoff,

Unfortunately I’m not much of an expert when it comes to SQL Server, as I had some fun times getting it set up myself.  All I can say is try to make sure that your instance of 2008 is what is running it and the 2005 install isn’t interfering.

Good luck.

7. Yesterday I gave 2 Silverlight presentations at the Montreal Code Camp 2009 .   1. Business application

8. Yesterday I gave 2 Silverlight presentations at the Montreal Code Camp 2009 .   1. Business application

9. I have previously written about the UNPLUGGED road trip that Mike , Nathan and I have been on. I also

10. N M Reddy says:

hi Jack,

I believe Out of Browser Application is lacking one important future in Silverligth 3, if it is there; we can offer better futures to users.

The future I am looking is to put my Out Of Browse application in Notification Area (Tray Icon). Especially when user minimizes my Out of Browser applications it should keep one ICON in Notification Area. Once he gets some alert or To-Do operation, it will show one “Notification Window” (like Outlook New Mail Notification Window).

Is it possible to add this kind of future in Silverlight..!

11. Peter Wone says:

The version problem with the database arises on systems on which SQL Express 2008 is installed on a system on which SQL Server 2005 already has dibs on the instance name ".SQLEXPRESS"

On these systems SQL Express installs to the default instance name "."

All you need do to have the database mounted using SQL 2008 is edit the web.config file and change the connection string so that instead of ".SQLEXPRESS" it refers to "."

12. pingwan says: