Stopping the Amazon Kindle for PC Application from Crashing on Windows 7

Before I continue, let me be clear that I love my Kindle – I own two – but the Kindle for PC application has been frustrating me on my Windows 7 machines.

On three separate Windows 7 machines I always get the “Amazon Kindle For PC Application has stopped working” message either installing or running the application.

image

Fortunately getting it to work isn’t too difficult – though I do look forward to the day when this simply “just works”.

STEP 1 INSTALLING

First, don’t “run” the installer from the Amazon website. Download it as a file – this will be called “KindleForPC-installer.exe”

Right-click on KindleForPC-installer.exe and select Troublesheet compatibility.

The Program Compatibility wizard will launch

image

Click then click on Try recommended settings.

image

And now click Start the program. You can dismiss the Program Compatibility wizard, it isn’t any more use after this point.

image

This will get the application installed. You can go ahead and register at this point. (Keep reading though)

image

You are NOT DONE. Things will work fine for now, but if you close the application and restart it, you’ll get the same “Amazon Kindle For PC Application has stopped working” error.

STEP 2 GETTING THE APPLICATION TO LAUNCH CORRECTLY

We have to fix it so that it we are using the right compatibility settings every time the program launches. Fortunately this is not hard.

Find the “Kindle for PC” on the Start Menu.

image

Right click it and select Troubleshoot compatibility

image

That same wizard will launch, and again click Try recommended settings.

image

Now click Start the program (do not close the Program Compatibility wizard).

image

The Kindle application will successfully launch, but ignore it and go back to the Program Compatibility wizard and click Next.

image

Click Yes, save these settings for this program.

Then, click Close.

image

Now you can start the Kindle Application successfully every time.

PARTING THOUGHTS

• Amazon: Please fix this.
  • If anyone has alternatives to this workaround, please let me know.

1. Thanks says:

This helped me.  Thank you for posting.

2. Thank you says:

THANK YOU! This is just what I was looking for!! Hopefully there will be no more crashing! I am using the kindle to read school books and study for an exam, so this has really, really helped me. Thank you!

3. Austin says:

Thanks SOOO  MUCH!  I was about to KILL myself over this problem!  AHHHHHHH!!!!!! Much appreciated!  Amazon needs to get this together!

4. Tiffany says:

Sadly, doesn't work for me. Still crashes, it just hangs around syncing long enough for me to get my hopes up, and then, bam!

5. Ralph says:

Seems to work now. We'll see how long. It was working when I used the reader a month ago.

Thanks for help with the headache! I was unaware of the compatibility option you have shown here.

6. M says:

It still does not work. I have Kindle for PC on a Lenovo SL400 running 64-bit Vista Ultimate service pack 2

7. Carl says:

Hmmm … this doesn't seem to work for me as I'm running Windows 7 (service pack 1) whilst the compatibility check only occurs with Windows XP (service pack 2) … which isn't the OS I'm running.

8. Charles says:

This did not work for me.  I even uninstalled it and downloaded version 1.5 and installed that in compatibility mode and that crashes too.  What the heck is wrong with Amazon that they can't get Kindle to work on Windows 7?  This is total bullcrap.

9. Jimmy E. says:

Nice write-up, but does not work for me. Running Windows 7 Service Pack 1. Kindle for PC stays open maybe 15 seconds and then crashes even after performing all steps above.

10. LabRat says:

Nope. Made not blind bit of difference, except that now I get a runtime error popup as well as the stopped working popup. I swear Amazon is such crap. Also after following these instructions the troubleshooter ends with incompatible program detected. sigh. More Google searching then.

11. Larry Clifford says:

Does this apply to the latest version – V 1.10.8 build 40514 – 03/24/2014

12. cb says:

Does not work for me Windows 7 Enterprise Service Pack 1. Crashes after a few seconds. Tried uninstalling rebooting installing again rebooting, running compatibility fix and still does not work. From the comments this issue has not been fixed in 1.5 years….?