Approving list items through REST call in SharePoint 2013 Workflows using HttpSend Activity fails

REST services in SharePoint 2013 have become really powerful and enable to do a wide range of operations. One of the scenarios is updating and approving list items.through REST service. While i will not go in details on using the REST services (there are multiple samples already available on net)  you can see that we can…

0

Calling BCS FindFiltered method on BCS from Client Object Model throws An exception of type ‘Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.ServerException’ occurred in Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.Runtime.dll but was not handled in user code

Recently I cam across an interesting issue from a customer where customer was calling the FindFiltered method of external content type to get filtered items. Following is the sample code that calls the FindFiltered method.             string readListInstanceName = ConfigurationManager.AppSettings[“method”];            Microsoft.BusinessData.MetadataModel.Entity entity = clientContext.Web.GetEntity(ConfigurationManager.AppSettings[“namespace”], ConfigurationManager.AppSettings[“name”]);            Microsoft.BusinessData.MetadataModel.LobSystem lobSystem = entity.GetLobSystem();            Microsoft.BusinessData.MetadataModel.Collections.LobSystemInstanceCollection lobSystemInstanceCollection = lobSystem.GetLobSystemInstances();            clientContext.Load(lobSystemInstanceCollection);            clientContext.Load(entity);           …

1

Permissions considerations when calling O365 APIs

  Recently I did a small Proof Of Concept Application that called the Office 365 APIs to access data from a SharePoint site collection and performed some other operations that require higher rights like Creating lists.This was done to verify the way the user permissions in SharePoint and the permissions provided to the application in windows…

0

Reassign workflow task using the workflow web service – AlterToDo method

SharePoint provides a web service workflow.asmx. This is available under /_vti_bin/workflow.asmx and provides an operation AlterToDo which enables to update the task and also reassign the tasks. I recently had a customer who was having issues with the AlterToDo. Customer was calling the AlterToDo method of the workflow.asmx as per the documentation available but the…

0

The magic of Hyper-V

Last few days i have been witnessing the power of Hyper-V – the microsoft virtualization solution and could not resist myself from blogging about it. We have a complex sharepoint solution on BPOS. A critical issue was found in the prodution version. On dev side we already have progressed to the next version, currently wating…

0

Lookup field across sites

Came across this really useful blog from Sahil Malik. http://blah.winsmarts.com/2009-3-Using_Site_Lookup_columns,_across_sites.aspx This one shows how we can use a lookup field across the sites. Though this will work only for top down hierarchy i.e. you can have a look up column in child site that looks up a list in the parent. Not the other way….

0

Modifying Sharepoint Application Pages in the RIGHT WAY

So many time we come across scenarios where we need to modify the functionality Sharepoint Application Pages (for those who are new to sharepoint Application Pages are physical asp.net pages residing the Layouts folder) Microsoft recommendation is not to modify these as the modifications can get overwritten in the next service pack or a patch….

4

Access denied within SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges

     Learned something really interesting (and a few lessons) in the last few days. We were doing an operation within a webpart which required higher level of access. Since this was to be executed irrespective of the access of the user logged in, we had the code enclosed within the SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges. Surprisingly the code was failing…

14

Failed to initiate the upgrade sequence – Error while upgrading from Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010 to Microsoft Sharepoint Server 2010 in Windows 7

Ran across this peculiar error today when I was upgrading from  Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010 to Microsoft Sharepoint Server 2010 on my laptop which had Windows 7.   I ran the “SharePoint 2010 Products Configuration Wizard ” and got the below error    Failed to initial the upgrade sequence. An exception of type Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPUpgradeException was thrown….

4