CodePlex – Free as in Beer

Last week, I spoke at Microsoft DevDays 2009 in The Netherlands. After the conference, I was able to do a little sightseeing in Amsterdam on my own, which included buying a small souvenir from the Heineken Plant, a CodePlex labeled Heineken bottle.

CodePlex labeled Heineken bottle next to a Koala bear's butt Outside the Heineken Brewery with CodePlex flag

The conference was held at The Hague (which btw is a city, and not a building). We had beautiful weather for the conference, so I was very happy to get a chance to go out to the beach and grab some photos.

Sandcastles on the beach at The Hauge

Since i grew up on a coast beach facing South, I’ve never seen a sunset on the water before.

a sunset on the water at The Hauge

And one picture to prove I did actual work instead of just sightseeing, I tried to capture just how large the 400 seat room was, but alas, my poor little camera just couldn’t handle it. To give you an idea, there were 3 projection screens from behind the stage, and 6 monitors within the audience.

the DevDays room i spoke in was quite large

1. Ton says:

I was there, at the Codeplex session on DevDays’09 in The Hague ("Den Haag" or "’s Gravenhage" in Dutch, you try to pronounce the second name :-P), and enjoyed your enthusiastic presentation. Response was a bit luke, imho, but that’s probably caused by our Dutch nature of not being driven by other ppls enthusiasm. Would have been nicer for you if it where.

Nice pictures, I especially like the one with the sandcastles, hm, nice name for a Codeplex project? or was some other fun intended?

How did you get Heineken to put Codeplex on that bottle, (I never went to the Heineken plant, I usually drink one of the other great beers of Holland (Grolsch btw)), or was it just a coincidence? Lucky you!

Grtz,

Ton

2. saraford says:

I’m glad you enjoyed the talk. Did you go to the evening one or the one during the day?

Purely coincidental, although i do have a complex every time i say the word sandcastle. =D

At the Heineken Experience (the official unguided tour), you can "brew your own" and put your name on your bottle. Since i went to the plant to take a picture with the CodePlex banner, i figured it only made sense to have a CodePlex bottle made. I mean, we share the same color scheme nonetheless.

Then i occurred to me i wouldn’t be able to take it on the plane back to the states. I was saving it for a very special occasion, but i figured no time like the present. I ask the hotel front desk people for a bottle opener, and they said "of course we have one." They encouraged me to drink it at 7am. I love the Netherlands.

3. Ton says:

I attended the daytime talk.

Hm, maybe then I should go and experience the Heineken Experience, even though I’m not a big fan of their beer, it still is beer, so… Then to own a famous brand beer-bottle with your name printed on it is pretty cool imho. And ofcourse any time is a good time to drink a beer, isn’t it? you where about to sit/sleep for a few hours in a plane, so that shouldn’t be much of an issue 🙂

4. saraford says:

wow, you attended the daytime talk?! I think I fell asleep at one point. It takes talent to fall asleep during your own presentation. =D

Seriously, I was so exhausted by the time of that talk. I did 2 talks the day before and did an interview for a magazine. Then when i walked into that dark room, it was game over. The jetlag said it was 4am and time for sleeping.

in other words, i’m very, very happy to hear you enjoyed the talk. =)

I was a HUGE fan of Heineken when i was in college in Northern Mississippi. Back home, we have Bud light, Coors light, and Miller light. So an import was fancy stuff. After living out here (Seattle) for a while, i’m no longer a fan of Heineken. But I had to take a tour of the plant for old times sake.

5. Steven says:

Ton wasn’t the only one who liked your talk. I went to your CodePlex talk on Friday and we talked a bit afterwards. Like Ton I enjoyed your enthusiasm and liked your funny examples and anecdotes.

6. saraford says:

@Steven Glad to hear you enjoyed the talk too. I’m also happy to hear that you enjoyed your "lousy CodePlex sticker" =D

7. Ton says:

Now that we are on the subject of ‘the stickers’, ppl where quite surprised that these even exist in this digital world! I can tell you that I’ll probably stick it on my SDN mug, once I take it to the office, to cover the SDN logo. People might think I’m actually a SDN member 🙂

8. Sara, thank you for the talk at DevDays!

I enjoyed the session. Was nice to see the photos and learn that the team members have a lot of fun developing CodePlex. Puts a face on the site.

Did miss the laptop sticker though, as I attended Thursday in the afternoon. Bummer. 🙂

Patrick