Did you know… You can show Hack, Undone, and custom Tokens in the Task List? – #176

Todo’s are not the only thing you can display under "Comments" in the Task List.  If you go to Tools – Options – Environment – Task List you’ll see a Token List.  By default, Visual Studio comes with Hack, Undone, and Comment, but you can create your own.

Task List Tokens List

Now in the editor i can type in a comment, using the ‘TipOfTheDay token format…

Tip of the Day token comment

the ‘TipOfTheDay comment now appears in the task list.

Tip of the Day comments now in Task List

Technorati Tags: VS2005Tip,VS2008Tip

1. Deniz says:

My Studio does not save the custom entries in the List. If I close my VS2005 and reopen it, the custom tags are no longer in the task list.

2. Steve says:

Amazing, I always thought that the !UnresolvedMergeConflict was an internal error in Visual Studio and that this box was broken!

3. Milan says:

This is the best thing I read about task list. I never gave it a try, because I’m working alone and never found time to wait for it to come out and then type.

But if it is able to read comments starting with some token that is great!

4. Kostya Ly says:

The only problem with that feature is that entries appear in Task List only when a file with respective tokens is opened. I’d like to see all my TODOs when I open my project.

5. Here is the latest in my link-listing series .  Also check out my ASP.NET Tips, Tricks and Tutorials

6. Here is the latest in my link-listing series .  Also check out my ASP.NET Tips, Tricks and Tutorials

7. Here is the latest in my link-listing series .  Also check out my ASP.NET Tips, Tricks and Tutorials

8. Tristan Smith says:

As Kostya Ly said the entries only appear when you have files open that you’ve added tokens to.

I feel it’s pretty much a pointless feature without a global filter. I’m not going to open every file to be able to see my 5 Todo:

9. Tim says:

I used this feature extensively in VS2003 but abandoned it in VS2005 because (as mentioned previously) it now only operates on open files, which makes it next to useless.

10. Craig Cote says:

It is my understanding that "the entries only appear when you have files open that you’ve added tokens to" applies only to C#; in VB.Net this is apparently not the case.

Check out http://predicatet.blogspot.com/2006/12/show-all-tasks-in-visual-studion-2005-c.html

11. 【原文地址】 March 28th Links: ASP.NET, ASP.NET AJAX, ASP.NET MVC, Visual Studio, Silverlight, .NET 【原文发表日期

12. Michael says:

I’d love to use this more, but as many have observed, it only works for open files (VB files OR C# files).

13. Alexey says:

BTW, Resharper show all tasks in project even if files are closed